La Jolla

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
say best a/p >3000' full facilities for this destination
I am told there is a "La Jolla field" but have doubts

Are you flying in to San Diego? Gillespie Field (KSEE) is where I go.

I was told, 'get us as close to LJ as possible'. I filter that somewhat by appropriateness of facilities. Someone did say there is a field there but the only one I recall is a now-closed gliderport.
When I type in LJ on airnav I get your h-port. Hmm longest dimension 98'. Let me ponder that. At the bottom, it shows nearby fields as
KNKX - Miramar Marine Corps Air Station (4 nm E)
KMYF - Montgomery Field Airport (6 nm SE)
KSAN - San Diego International Airport (9 nm S)
KNZY - North Island Naval Air Station (Halsey Field) (11 nm S)
KSEE - Gillespie Field Airport (13 nm E)
KCRQ - Mc Clellan-Palomar Airport (15 nm N)
KRNM - Ramona Airport (18 nm NE)
KNRS - Imperial Beach Naval Outlying Field (Ream Field) (20 nm S)
I think we'll use MYF barring new info.

KNKX - Miramar Marine Corps Airstation (4 nm E)
Not recommended without appropiate IFF
KMYF - Montgomery Field Airport (6 nm SE)
I use this SD airport the most. GA friendly, close to Miramar and SAN Class B be careful
KSAN - San Diego International Airport (9 nm S)
Not bad as GA place to go but pricey
KNZY - North Island Naval Air Station (Halsey Field) (11 nm S)
No GA
KSEE - Gillespie Field Airport (13 nm E)
Nice place further inland than MYF
KCRQ - Mc Clellan-Palomar Airport (15 nm N)
Used to be nice, now seems to dis us FLIBs
KRNM - Ramona Airport (18 nm NE)
Pleasant lazy, kind of out in the middle of nowhere
KNRS - Imperial Beach Naval Outlying Field (Ream Field) (20 nm S)
I think we'll use MYF barring new info.

When I go to that part of CA I use MYF. I haven't refeuled there in a while. There used to be a problem with the airport management and fuelers, call ahead or stop on the way. Parking is reasonable.

Joe

That's the closest, and aside from KNZY the most fun place to land. Sadly, less fun if you'd like to take off again. :)

We fly to KMYF fairly often, and have so far parked at Gibbs FBO. There's a cute aviation-themed restaurant across the field that I think you can access from the ramp (we went there in a car once). Have also flown into KSEE and KRMN, neither of which would be convenient for access to La "HOYa" (not pronounced "jolla" of course, though I've heard that might have been the native pronunciation). We also flew into KSAN once, and the approach provided breathtaking vistas of the city and surrounds (tho the overnight fees are higher than MYF as you'd imagine - don't know about landing or short-term ramp fees). If you have a few minutes for touring, check out the VFR Terminal for routes.

KMYF is indeed your best bet. Full facilities, including ILS.

There's a cute aviation-themed restaurant across the field that I think you can access from the ramp (we went there in a car once).
That would be the 94th Aero Squadron, a very nice WW-1 theme place, like its counterparts in Van Nuys and St. Louis. There's also a pretty good Mexican restaurant, Casa Machado, upstairs in the Montgomery Field terminal building.

We also flew into KSAN once, and the approach provided breathtaking vistas of the city and surrounds (tho the overnight fees are higher than MYF as you'd imagine - don't know about landing or short-term ramp fees).
I landed a Bonanza at KSAN one low-overcast night a couple of years ago when the KMYF ILS was OTS. The people at Landmark Aviation were friendly and helpful, and though the prices were somewhat higher than at KMYF they weren't as bad as I'd anticipated. I'm certain mine was the only piston-engine airplane on the entire airport that night.

MYF is definitely the closest civil airport to La Jolla and not much of a hassle. Gillespie is nice, but alot further drive and last I checked fuel/services weren't any cheaper.

Unless you are familiar with flying in the San Diego area, or are not IR rated, I would not recommend going in there VFR. The one down-side of MYF is that depending on the time you expect to arrive, the volume of traffic can be down right ridiculous. I once flew a racetrack over Gillespie for literally 10 minutes just trying to contact the MYF tower.

If you are arriving IFR, it is usually pretty smooth.

With regards to fueling, there is a self service island, or the FBO's provide fuel for you. While I like Gibb's, I would say that the service folks/line guys can be flaky from time to time, so if you ask them to fill it up as you walk out the door, you may need to remind them when you show up for departure if you know what I mean.

Last edited:
Be careful going in to MYF. Miramar USMC has EXACTLY the same dual runways and a diagonal crosswind runway about 3 miles northwest. I used to teach out of MYF and this is one of the FIRST things my students learned. Being greeted with "line boys" in fatigues with M-16s cocked and loaded isn't going to make your day go any smoother.

KSDM (Brown) is not too far from downtown SD; you could probably wangle a ride to the train station at the border. First Flight (at the west end of the field) is the place to go for fuel, etc... good folks there. Also much more relaxed atmosphere, airspace-wise.

Be careful going in to MYF. Miramar USMC has EXACTLY the same dual runways and a diagonal crosswind runway about 3 miles northwest. I used to teach out of MYF and this is one of the FIRST things my students learned. Being greeted with "line boys" in fatigues with M-16s cocked and loaded isn't going to make your day go any smoother.
good point Jim except Miramar's runways are a lot bigger. I tell my student's going down there "If you only see one airport, it's the wrong one"

Having flown into there from SBA dozens of times, I'm a bit surprised to see that several pilots are cautious about MYF. Of course, I always have a current VFR Terminal chart and most often use flight following. I agree that SD airspace in general is busier than say New Cuyama, but with any questions about anything the controllers have always been helpful (unlike trying to get back on flight following after transiting the LA SFRA - different frequency every flight!). Inbound I often get cleared to cross Miramar for midfield pattern entry rather than do the standard dogleg out over Mt. Soledad. Outbound they'll often clear me over Miramar (esp. when that low scud is clinging to the coast) via a climbing left 270 turn (tho it's crucial to have ALL of the relevant ATC frequencies written down and dialed in - I once scrambled to go from flight following on departure freq. to Miramar tower when directed to do that during transit when departure frequency was busy). Also very handy to have GPS just for extra situational awareness on the airspace boundaries. Well, re-reading this post I guess it makes sense why people are cautious but it has seemed relatively easy for some reason. :)

Having flown into there from SBA dozens of times, I'm a bit surprised to see that several pilots are cautious about MYF. Of course, I always have a current VFR Terminal chart and most often use flight following. I agree that SD airspace in general is busier than say New Cuyama, but with any questions about anything the controllers have always been helpful (unlike trying to get back on flight following after transiting the LA SFRA - different frequency every flight!). Inbound I often get cleared to cross Miramar for midfield pattern entry rather than do the standard dogleg out over Mt. Soledad. Outbound they'll often clear me over Miramar (esp. when that low scud is clinging to the coast) via a climbing left 270 turn (tho it's crucial to have ALL of the relevant ATC frequencies written down and dialed in - I once scrambled to go from flight following on departure freq. to Miramar tower when directed to do that during transit when departure frequency was busy). Also very handy to have GPS just for extra situational awareness on the airspace boundaries. Well, re-reading this post I guess it makes sense why people are cautious but it has seemed relatively easy for some reason. :)

Perhaps I'm jaded, but I'm based out of MYF. The key thing is talking to controllers early. Again, if you're IFR no problem. VFR cleared through the Bravo - not too much of a problem unless you are arriving mid-day on a Saturday and then be patient and alert when they hand you off to the tower.

Dave: I've gone in there many times to San, MYF and KSEE; advantages to each. SAN will be very busy but I wouldn't hesitate to go in if more expensive is O.K.: fuel is more, ramp and landing fees and very busy. I wouldn't do it during the big push or when low IFR; it's just very busy then.
As said MYF has the ILS and hotel, and rental cars are available.
I used KSEE because it was closer to my Dad's house when he was still alive. The LOC D is how they'd bring you in off the airway and minimums are pretty high.
There is a train close to KSEE one can take into town. The FBO offered to drop me there.

Have a great trip! Let us know what you think.
I'm headed the other way this week to see family in SC.

Best,

Dave

KSAN is San Diego's main airport. It is small and overcrowded with major carriers trying to maintain their schedules. Landing a small airplane at KSAN is akin to forcing a jet on a straight in five mile final, to go around at an airport like KTRM simply because you were in the pattern first with your small plane, when you could just as easily done a 360 and let it land ahead of you. It is better to use KMYF or KSEE rather than disrupt the traffic flow at KSAN.

KMYF, by auto is just a few minutes from downtown, probably around ten minutes. No landing fees, transit parking, even has a good hotel at the corner of the airport.

John

KSAN is ... small and overcrowded
Maybe I was just lucky. Our only landing at Lindbergh was St. Patrick's Day (Mar.17) and ATC was helpful, courteous, and easily fit us between the airlines for both our arrival and departure. We'll probably do it again sometime, and I'd encourage other GA pilots to land there if you can afford the modest fees. Now having said that, I'd hasten to add that if your main experience is with Class D or smaller it's going to probably be scary to even think about. Flying out of Class C SBA and having flown in both LA and SD airspaces fairly often, it was a busier than usual approach but never felt at all uncomfortable. Mostly it had to do with ATC having me slow down and then speed up, and turn me base before I'd planned. Easy in a 172, but even in the Tiger I used to fly it wouldn't have been difficult. On departure I even asked for a special clearance for left departure over the city, they were going to do it but the low clouds rolled in over town just before we were ready so I was given the usual right turn out.

I landed at KSAN the day after earning my PPL. It couldn't have been easier arriving along the coast from the north. I was cleared into the bravo via direct MZB, then when I was a few miles from MZB I was switched to tower. Tower gave me right traffic, then asked me to do a short approach to sneak in before a 737 that was inbound. No problem. Parked at Landmark Aviation, paid a $25 fee and they shuttled me into town. It was my first flight as a certificated pilot, and it was really no sweat.

I learned to fly at (and still rent from) KSMO, in and around the Los Angeles class B airspace, so dealing with controllers and airspace does not intimidate me.

Trip report:
We went to KMYF Montgomery Field today. It went fine, took a few vectors for atc to find the localizer then down thru a thin layer to 28R. Pulled into Crown and they were waiting for us. Good priced fuel without problems, nice guy - all alone I think. Airnav comments about the restrooms were about right. Homey place, but I don't really feel particularily comfortable in the gleaming marble fbos anyway. Walked over to find the deli just outside the terminal, oops its closed. Popped into Gibbs and looked around. Nicer facility but teeming with students/instructors it seemed. Went over to Machados, wasn't really in the mood for mx food but a good quesadillas carne asada and admirable service. Great view of the busy ramp and plenty of old photos, rc models adorning the ceiling.
I like that security is not nutso here and everything is close by without being crowded.
On departure, rv took us past Torrey Pines, could see the parasailers (?) up and down the bluff.
Dodged and clipped some weather on the way home. They weren't topping it today, one guy at 450 was getting deviations.

Back