L39 or similar swap for an MX2 hop

There are several L-39 pilots in Florida, I think one may even be able to do a "training" flight. I don't know any of them myself, but you may contact someone at Code 1 Aviation - http://www.code1aviation.com/

Otherwise I know Larry at Jetwarbird.com can do it, but he's in Santa Fe.

I just looked on controller... why are L39s so cheap? Is it the $1000 an hour in fuel? lol

The motors are 500, 750 or 1K TBO depending where they are in their life cycle. That said, they are run on condition in the US so places like Code 1 have established trend monitoring to check the health of the core and fuel control. I've heard horror stories about engine availability and overhaul times but these may simply be ole wive's tales. One thing is for sure, the ones flying seem to be very reliable and 100 hours is $100K in fuel so engine costs are really a non-issue when you consider the cost of joy riding (which is going to slow you down more than the engine :) ).

Sorry..... No pics. I guess it did not happen.

We have the famous L-139 here in TX. A lady out of south TX flies it to breakfasts etc. Awesome ride, awesome sight. But too far for you, sorry.

I've heard a lot of horror stories regarding parts availability for many airplanes over the years (including common ones), but when I talk to actual owners, I've rarely heard them first hand. It comes down to knowing where you can source parts. A classic example of the Comanche. Lots of rumors floating around about them being hard to find parts for, yet the Comanche owners I know have never complained.

I've wanted a ride in an L-39 as well. Maybe one day, but that's very, very low on the priority list.

While taxiing to takeoff yesterday at our little non-towered field, heard call for "experimental jet, 18nm out" for same runway we were headed for. Asked my CFI if we could wait, and got an emphatic, yep.

It was an L39. Landed, got fuel, left. Made me come home yesterday evening and google pricing...you know, just in case I find a winning lottery ticket somewhere. Now that I know my local field can handle it.

Am I correct in assuming that the low TBO is based on operating in austere conditions with maintenance being done by Soviet conscripts?

Likely based on the metallurgical qualities of the hot section....

Now Typed and half way through a couple of TFE731 conversions. Itch getting scratched.

Back