l3 HARRIS FLIGHT ACADEMY PIPELINE

shane86

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
shane886top
I am thinking of pilots training. I am interested in flying commerical airlines. What are the particulars how hard is it to work for DELTA airlines or any of the other major airlines. How hard is it to make it to making 100k-250k? how many years do you have to put in and what is the pay like running up to flying the big time? Is it worth it right now to switch careers? How do you get to the 1500 flight hours required? Is it hard to find work to fly?

Can't answer the how hard/how long to make $XXX, but there's 2 ways to get to 1500:

1) pay for all the time yourself
2) get paid for some/all of the time by taking less than stellar income gigs after you get your commercial/flight instructor.
or a 3rd way, get military to pay for it.

then when you get to 1500, you get to go work for a regional, and get paid better than less than, but still not stellar wages for a few years. Then after half a dozen to a dozen years get to go to Delta/American/United depending which regional you started at. Or get in with Allegiant/Spontier/SWA etc after sludging along at the regionals.

Four questions, one post. Umm wow.

Welcome to POA, and you're needing to understand how to go from Zero to Hero.

I'm gonna sit back now, and let others chime in.

You don't do it for the pay, you do it because its a passion you can't ignore. If you do it for the money, you will be miserable and bitter.

You probably could have earn $100k/yr after 7-10 years of 100% dedication to flying. Initial investment $50-80k for training (2-3 years), followed by 2-3 years making less than $40k/yr. Then maybe one day you’ll make the big bucks. Or maybe not.

Back