Kymco scooters

I see quite a few of similar style cruising around my area. And most keep up with traffic well on the highways.

MPG doesn't seem to far off. My 600cc sport bike gets around 45mpg highway.

Doing a search for " kymco scooter reviews" brought up some mixed reviews like poor dealer support and seat not designed for tall people. But the rest seemed to be satisfied.

Have you compared it to a Honda or Yamaha for comparison in price?

Being it is a Korean / Chinese machine, I would wonder what availability of parts and price would be for the expendables too.

Sent from my iPhone
using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I know some folks that have Kymco scooters and they are quite happy with them.

For that money you could get a small used motorcycle that would be far safer and get similar mileage. I was thinking about a scooter and wound up with a Goldwing. A lot more bike for the money.

You mean a recliner on wheels

Sent from my iPhone
using Tapatalk

Well this is something I do know about. In fact I and my cousin bought one just a like, mine blue and his red. They are JUNK. There is zero factory support. There is a few places that you can send a picture of the part and they might have one, perhaps a used part. Ours are 2009 models and sold new for about $2200. I would sell mine in a heart beat for $1K. I do use it and it does get about 55 MPG and will cruise at 55 but will do almost 70 with a tailwind and downhill.
I now have about 2K miles on mine and do use it around town for errands but, never too far from home and always with my cell phone in pocket.
These are clones of the Honda and Kawasaki but are not in the same league as far as quality. BTW, they are all over the internet new for less than $2500. Google "250 CC scooters" and you can choose from 100 different sites. I believe this particular model is made in Taiwan, not sure but, it is a Chinese Clone.

Like looking for a 152 and buying a Beech Staggerwing instead?

Maybe, but for the same price which would you choose?

Not that I would encourage the Wing on anyone. But for a couple grand there are a variety of small one and two cylinder motorcycles that will get very good mileage and be far safer than one of those scooters. Larger wheels give more gyroscopic force keeping you upright. Larger powerplants will give you the ability to get away from the murderous cagers that seem to inhabit every roadway. And the engine it out there for all to see and can be easily repaired.

I think scooters are for teenagers and women. I admit to a bit of a bias.

I'm open to suggestions, I'd use it to commute to the hangar (27 miles) and run errands around town, and carry on a bumper mount on the coach.

Inexpensive is the word. I really don't want a big bike to load and carry.

got to be road legal.

From about 1990-2000 Kymco built scooters for Honda, and was branded as Honda Elite. Maybe the OEM specs from Honda were tighter, because they could sell them at higher price. Other than that, I have no idea.

Edited to correct dates.

Kymco motorcycles are crap. They have made some various Honda and Suzuki knockoffs over the years. Personally, I would get a Honda Elite (real Honda Elite). Those things actually get closer to 100 mpg and they run forever.

For that money you could get a small used motorcycle that would be far safer and get similar mileage. I was thinking about a scooter and wound up with a Goldwing. A lot more bike for the money.

Now THAT is funny! Rather like shopping for a Prius, and driving home in a Hummer... :D

Tom the only 250 CC class scooter by Honda is the Forza. This is about a $6000 scooter. The Elite is pretty small with I think a 100CC engine which has a top speed of maybe 40 - 50mph. I THINK it is out of production now.
These Chinese clones are clones of the old Honda Reflex, no longer in production. If you could find a used one of these for $3K or less might be your best bet. The Reflex had a good reputation.

Any of the big three Jap scooters are a quality product. It was stated on here that the Chinese built scooters for Honda at one time. That may be correct but I can find no record of it. Only the GW was built out of country (here in the USA) and has since been moved back to Japan.

Short version IMO all Chinese clones are junk. That may be why they sell for about 40% of the Jap scooters.

BTW, There are only two actual scooter factories in Taiwan but, they turn out about 18 different name brands and at least a dozen different styles.

Tom the only 250 CC class scooter by Honda is the Forza. This is about a $6000 scooter. The Elite is pretty small with I think a 100CC engine which has a top speed of maybe 40 - 50mph. I THINK it is out of production now.
These Chinese clones are clones of the old Honda Reflex, no longer in production. If you could find a used one of these for $3K or less might be your best bet. The Reflex had a good reputation.

Any of the big three Jap scooters are a quality product. It was stated on here that the Chinese built scooters for Honda at one time. That may be correct but I can find no record of it. Only the GW was built out of country (here in the USA) and has since been moved back to Japan.

Short version IMO all Chinese clones are junk. That may be why they sell for about 40% of the Jap scooters.

BTW, There are only two actual scooter factories in Taiwan but, they turn out about 18 different name brands and at least a dozen different styles.

The domestic Elite is 110 cc. The Airblade (Asian version) is 115 cc. But these types of scooters really aren't good for going much over 40 mph anyway because of their small wheels - you get them for economical in-town riding and convenience. You -can- get these enormously expensive uber-scooters that have freeway capability but if you're going to go with a 250 cc class machine or larger, you really want a motorcycle.

Honda actually outsources the production to a few different countries like Thailand, Vietnam and the Philippines - but not China.

Honda pcx 150 might be cheap an fast enough for ya.

Just for grins I looked up Craigslist for Seattle. Don't know if that's where Tom is, but it shouldn't be too far. Lost of bikes under two grand. A bunch of little duro bikes, a few dirt bikes, a couple pit bikes, and some vintage Japanese stuff. The latter is where I'd go. Those run forever, and even a halfway decent mechanic can keep them going if they stop.

This is getting off topic from Tom's question. The Airblade is a Honda built bike for the Asian market. It currently has a 125 CC water cooled fuel injected engine. It is built in Japan. This new version was introduced into select Asian markets this year. Earlier models did have the 115 CC engine. The last model year for the Elite is shown as 2010. It was (is) a 108 CC fuel injected engine and was sold in Europe and the USA.

I have spent the last little while looking and I still can not find any Hondas for the USA market built in any country other than Japan since they moved the GW back to Japan. I have a couple of contacts in the Honda world and I was told that now all Hondas in the American market currently are built in Japan. I could be wrong, often I am.
The same people know of no Hondas for any market currently built outside of Japan. It appears Honda got some very bad press with the GW frames built here that were breaking. Their corporate felt they could do better quality control at home. In reality very few frames actually broke but, it was not pretty. They took their ball and went home.

Anyway, they are built somewhere and the Honda has an outstanding reputation regardless of where they are built. For me personally, I am just not a jap bike guy. Sorry for the drift Tom.

If people can't find information, does that mean that the information doesn't exist? I could do the research, but it just isn't that important to me.

China <> ROC or Taiwan to most people, even though it is in the name. This mfg is in ROC/Taiwan.

I stopped by two bike shops today and was questioning about the KYMCO scooters and all agreed they are junk.

So I went by the Harley Shop. and fell in love with the new Sporsters, I owned a new 1966 XLCH back in the day, but they are simply too heavy to load on the front axle of the coach.

All the salesmen mentioned a Honda 250

The Rebel is a very popular entry level bike. My wife's MSF course years ago was taught on the Rebel, well what was left of them:).
There use to be a good many used ones listed. They have a reputation of being rugged and near bullet proof. They are in current production and sell a little north of $4K new. They are chain driven and use a single carb for induction. Dirt simple. I don't know the MPG but 65+ would not surprise me.

Edit: BTW my wife's first bike was a 2004 1200C. She loved it. But,after she bought her Heritage she never rode it again. Sold it a year later. It was a good trouble free bike at 19,000 miles but it was just a little bit small for much touring.

Last edited:
Do a google search for Suzuki Burgman. they come in 400 and 600 (650?) cc models. They are really nice, cruise at hiway speed with ease and get around 50-60 mpg. The guy next door at work drove his year round, and absolutely was sold on it's performance, reliability and lots of dealer support.
I'm sure there are plenty of them on the used market.

Burgman_RHF_700p.jpg

Those are nice. Kind of pricey. The 400 is in the $8K range and I think the 650 is north of $11K out the door.

Those are nice. Kind of pricey. The 400 is in the $8K range and I think the 650 is north of $11K out the door.

And they are too heavy. I don't want loading to be a back breaker.

8udyse3e.jpg

This is my scooter. I have it all but ready to be street legal. It was my grandfathers , sold at his estate sale in 82. It was passed around like a cheap slut until my dad wound up with it 10 years ago on a barter deal. Imagine the surprise when he seen it after 20 years.

1978 Honda express 50. It is only good for ****ing off traffic with its 25 mph max speed.

Sent from my iPhone
using Tapatalk

Honda Rebel is a great little bike, Tom. I've put over 27,000 miles on mine. You do have to have an endorsement for it, though. There is a used one for sale here in Wenatchee, and I THINK the Honda dealer even has a couple of new one for under $3,000.

If you're looking for a 'scooter' style, Aprilia has some nice ones. Moto International on Aurora has a several of them, he's got a 500 Scarabeo with 600 miles on it for $3600, comes with two year warranty.

http://motointernational.wordpress.com/bikes-for-sale/hot-deal-motorcycles/

Tom, remember that is about a 500 pound scooter. Might be a load to lift into a carrier, if anyone even makes a carrier that big.

They have motorcycle carriers that slide into a class III rcvr for trucks and suv's that a lot of dirt bikers use. But not sure I'd those or the hitch would be rated for 500 lbs of toung weight

Sent from my iPhone
using Tapatalk

They have motorcycle carriers that slide into a class III rcvr for trucks and suv's that a lot of dirt bikers use. But not sure I'd those or the hitch would be rated for 500 lbs of toung weight Sent from my iPhone
using Tapatalk

I will be right at the max gross for the front axle with this scooter.

the appointment to inspect the bikes is set for Saturday, he is interested in my Yamaha 200 Big Wheel ORV bikes. on a trade.

We will see what happens.

I can always mount the rack on the rear of the coach.

Attachments

• DSCN3168.JPG
    DSCN3168.JPG
    210.1 KB · Views: 27
  • DSCN2961.JPG
    DSCN2961.JPG
    209.6 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
just called off the trade, his scooter is just too heavy.

back to the hunt.

I stopped by two bike shops today and was questioning about the KYMCO scooters and all agreed they are junk.

So I went by the Harley Shop. and fell in love with the new Sporsters, I owned a new 1966 XLCH back in the day, but they are simply too heavy to load on the front axle of the coach.

All the salesmen mentioned a Honda 250

Did they mention that the Sportster was built for women ? My wife loves hers. :D

The Chinese and Korean bikes are for the most part disposable and parts are unavailable. The exceptions are a few that use carbon copies of the Honda 70 and 90 motors, since they copied the design Honda replacement parts often fit.

A Honda Rebel weights around 300lbs. You haven't said what your weight limit is so :dunno:. I used to get right around 80 MPG on one. Topped out around 70 MPH with my fat a$$, the girl said she had it up to 80. Parts support is excellent, and they made them for decades. If you are tall you may not be too comfortable, I always wished the saddle was a little further back. On the highway I would sit on the pillion seat sometimes.

Maybe also consider a small supermoto like a Honda CRF250M at 275 lbs.

They have motorcycle carriers that slide into a class III rcvr for trucks and suv's that a lot of dirt bikers use. But not sure I'd those or the hitch would be rated for 500 lbs of toung weight

Sent from my iPhone
using Tapatalk

I saw a motorhome the other day that had a full dresser HD on it. Pig of a bike must have weighed close to 800 lbs.

I saw a motorhome the other day that had a full dresser HD on it. Pig of a bike must have weighed close to 800 lbs.

I'll bet that coach had a tag axel, and the bike was on the back.

There are several of those lifts on the market, think bucks, big bucks.

I looked at a new rebel yesterday, they are a small bike, for short legged people. :)

I'm surprised this topic has this much interest :D

I have an Aprilia Scarabeo 500ie italian scooter. It currently has 18,000 miles on it, and I haven't done anything to it except basic maintenance. Top speed is 99mph, and it gets 65-70mpg. I paid $3k for the thing. I do my freeway commutes on it. It's a really underrated scooter, and the Aprilia/Piaggio 500cc motor is very well understood and supported. This is the "light" version -- the older Scarabeos (pre-2007) were tanks, made for touring. Those owners love theirs, I love mine. Two different purposes though.

We also have a Yamaha Vino 125 in the family, which just turned 10,000mi. I use it for city only since it tops at about 55mph, and it's perfect for Los Angeles -- it's a lane scalpel, and I only stop for red lights, otherwise I'm a lane-splitting fool -- commutes that are 45mn by car are 10-15mn by Vino. It gets 90mpg. Same deal, haven't done anything but routine maintenance on it.

My dad has a Buddy 125, and it's a nice scooter. Too new to speak to longevity, but it feels very sporty for its engine size. That leads me to believe that it will "burn brighter, not last longer", but we'll see.

I've eyed the Honda PCXs covetously, since they're fuel injected and high compression motors turning in some very high gas mileages (I think the PCX 110 was over 100mpg). They'd be on my short list if I was in the market for a 125cc-class scoot.

250cc is an odd size and there don't seem to be many players there. Honda made a 250cc ruckus which is styled like an army jeep, but I bet it's a blast with that engine. Aprilia used to have the Sportcity 250, but I didn't care for its ergonomics (I'm big and tall, and that scooter was made for the waify italian college girls apparently -- way too short for me). There are also a few 300cc sized Vespas, but the Vespas tend to be very highly priced for what they are.

Everyone I talk to says the korean/chinese scooters are junk, including my scooter mech. I haven't bothered with them, so I have no idea. I do see the Kymcos more often than any of the other brands, but I'm not convinced they're going to go the distance yet.

$0.02

Back