Kyle goes solo!

LDJones

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
Jonesy
Congratulations to Kyle Marten on his First Solo, accomplished in his little Cessna 150 which we've nicknamed "Lightning"! I have wanted to solo him for the last few lessons but circumstances have conspired against us. Due to his work schedule, we’ve ended up flying more evenings, and with Fall the days are getting shorter so we inevitably finish up our lessons flying in the dark. We have done so many night landings that he now says he thinks it’s actually easier to land in the dark than during the day, but I have never sent a student on a first solo in the dark, so have been hesitant to do so.

This evening we went out and did three touch and goes and I thought I’d try to sneak in his solo before it got dark, but by the time he took off there wasn’t much light left. As expected, he accomplished the mission and the landings sounded good, even if I couldn’t see them very well!

Afterwards we did the ceremonial cutting of the shirt-tail to commemorate the event. Good job, Kyle!

MartenKyle_FirstSolo_web.jpg

Congrats to Kyle!

Sounds a bit like me. A good majority of my 70ish training hours has been after work. Here's to hoping his funds allow a quicker finish than me!

Congrats to Kyle!

Sounds a bit like me. A good majority of my 70ish training hours has been after work. Here's to hoping his funds allow a quicker finish than me!

We're averaging 3-4 flights a week and have been doing that for about five weeks. If he can get his written knocked out, we can finish this before winter arrives.

We're averaging 3-4 flights a week and have been doing that for about five weeks. If he can get his written knocked out, we can finish this before winter arrives.

Awesome. I am sure he appreciates you as an instructor that flies evenings with him. I am forever grateful to my instructor for working with my horrid schedule for 3.5 years. I couldn't have gotten luckier.

Good luck Kyle and let us know when it's official!

Back