KX170b.com - any PIREPS?

Gary

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Gary
The nav portion of the old but (previously) trustworthy KX-175b has ceased to function. Absoultely nothing happens when I turn it on, no indication on the KI209, can't get a station ident - nothing. The com side seems to work just fine. Had noticed an intermittant problem in the past, now seems permanent.

Nav/Com 2 is is a KX 125 which works perfectly.

Saw the KX170.com website, looks interesting, but was wondering if anyone has any repair experience with the gentleman running the site.

Gary

The nav portion of the old but (previously) trustworthy KX-175b has ceased to function. Absoultely nothing happens when I turn it on, no indication on the KI209, can't get a station ident - nothing. The com side seems to work just fine. Had noticed an intermittant problem in the past, now seems permanent.

Saw the KX170.com website, looks interesting, but was wondering if anyone has any repair experience with the gentleman running the site.

Gary

I have no personal experience with KX170.com but I have heard second hand that the guy is fair but not necessarily fast. Personally I'd consider purchasing a digital conversion drop in rather than repairing your radio unless you are confident that your frequency selectors are in very good shape. These radios use complicated multi pole switches for that which do wear out with use
and are too expensive to replace economically. I realize that's not your current problem but I think it ought to factor into your decision.

BTW did you confirm that you are getting 12v to the nav section. IIRC the Com and Nav portions of the radio have separate supply pins on the tray and typically separate breakers feeding them.

Gary

Time to upgrade the radio stack. The KX170B were great radios but aren't worth repairing. but have it checked by your local shop before sending it away. There is 1 on E-Bay for sale now. most will sell for $3-400

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/King...ryZ90979QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I have never had any luck with the M170 slide in replacements, they can't be repaired in the local radio shop, they must be sent to the manufacturer to be repaired. The 2 I have send in, the cost of repair was almost as much as a new one, and both quit working again with in 6 months.

Break out the check book and go shopping

http://www.avionix.com/guide.html

BTW did you confirm that you are getting 12v to the nav section. IIRC the Com and Nav portions of the radio have separate supply pins on the tray and typically separate breakers feeding them.

Didn't know that! That seems like something I can probably check. Don't have separate breakers though.

Gary. I agree with Lance. Get a slide in replacement. I've had a TKM for many years in the Tiger and its been fine.

That's possibility, but I'm just not a fan of the TKM's. But... if it gives me more speed to keep up with your Tiger... well then, that's different. :D

Break out the check book and go shopping

http://www.avionix.com/guide.html

Hmmm... the brute force method! :D:D If the kids were out of school, maybe I would, until then, I need cost-effective, not personal preference.

Thanks all.

Gary

That's possibility, but I'm just not a fan of the TKM's. But... if it gives me more speed to keep up with your Tiger... well then, that's different. :D

Gary,

Consider a McCoy MAC 1700 - It's another slide-in replacement for the KX170B, but it's actually the guts of a King radio (which are generally very reliable) with a new faceplate that gives you not only digital displays and flip-flop capability but also memory, speaking of frequencies, etc. for a very reasonable price.

We have two, one as #1 in 83F and #2 in 71G. Never a problem with either.

Aircraft Spruce has them on their used avionics list for $1472: http://www.aircraftspruce.com/pdf/2009Individual/Cat09518.pdf

Also, this is on Trade-a-Plane: "MAC 1700 MCCOY Conversion, replacement push-button faces, Roy Dawson Radio Communications, FL/(386) 760-7600."

The power switches on the 170 series have been a problem. From your description that would be the first place I would look (been there done that).

Ahhh... now that is helpful! time to fire up the VOM this weekend!

Gary

May as well cause we sure ain't going flying with the fx this weekend. Gary pegasus has a point. We have had occasional issues with the unit switching on as you will recall. It always came to life after we yelled at it long enough but perhaps it has just given up the ghost

Back