KX155 problem

David Kagey

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
DMKagey
Looking for some advice on an intermittent problem with my KX155. #2 radio, so not a huge deal, but would like to get it fixed. Issue is with the Com side...NAV side works perfect. Works fine and then it drops out. No transmit or receive. T light is working and power is good. I pulled and cleaned the contacts. Worked for a month and then dropped out again.
My take is one of three things...unit, audio panel (Garmin 340) or wiring glitch.
Any ideas on other stuff to try?
Thanks
Update-Sent it today to Ed at KX-155.com. We’ll see what he says and will let you know

Last edited:
does it work when the unit is cold?

Probably bad caps. That seems to be a common issue on KX155 radios these days.
Call Jeff at Sandhills Avionics in Carthage, NC..located at BQ1 airport.

What’s the serial number date? I had an issue with an older 155, got a very late model, exchanged, & back to working fine.

Probably bad caps. That seems to be a common issue on KX155 radios these days.
Call Jeff at Sandhills Avionics in Carthage, NC..located at BQ1 airport.
Ditto on calling Jeff. He is "the man" on vintage avionics.

does it work when the unit is cold?
Yes...start up doesn’t seem to impact. Totally intermittent. Month ago it failed both sides of transmit. Pulled and cleaned and worked perfect...for a month. Failed for three flights and then started working again. Pulled audio panel and cleaned. I’m down to the radio, the audio panel or something in the wiring. Totally retired five years ago for major avionics mod, so not 45 year old wiring. Go figure

ah nuts... this and a few other threads (here and in Pilotspin) is making me feeling fratchin old.

When I started flying, the KX155 was new, not vintage.

dang.

(>-{

ah nuts... this and a few other threads (here and in Pilotspin) is making me feeling fratchin old.

When I started flying, the KX155 was new, not vintage.

dang.

(>-{
Understand....sadly when I started it was the KX170 that we thought was hot stuff...

FYI: If run out of options give the guys at www.kx-155.com a call or email. They might send you in the right direction.
Thanks....shipped it off to Ed at kx-155.com yesterday. Hope he can find an intermittent problem. Seems like a really good guy.

Back