KX155 - occasional delay in powering up

BG841

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
BG841
My KX155, on occasion, takes about 5 minutes to warm up and provide a display. It isn't consistent enough for me to identify the pattern or the duration of the delay (it is my backup).

I'm just wondering if this is a precursor to this unit giving up the ghost, or if this is a common occurrence as these Nav/Com's age?

Thanks.

I've read about a few instances of the capacitors in the 155's going bad. My #1 radio is in the shop right now for volume issues and he thinks it may be a bad cap. It's possible that a bad cap is causing your issue too.

The displays fail over time. It's fairly common. The power supply section may also be having issues. 5 minutes is broken. Finding a bench tech who can actually troubleshoot is a crapshoot these days.

Those units can be repaired. Most of the components on the board can be replaced. The KX155 is the best nav/com ever produced IMO. I like the discrete components that can be replaced approach King used. King stuff is really good.

Those units can be repaired. Most of the components on the board can be replaced. The KX155 is the best nav/com ever produced IMO. I like the discrete components that can be replaced approach King used. King stuff is really good.

My #1 KX 155 recently died. Problems started out as having a limited range of 5nm to pick up AWOS and then had to be at an airport to pick up AWOS and now it does not even power up. :(

Back