KX155 freq change when power back on

vfsit

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
vfsit
One of my 155s has been doing something weird intermittently. Let's say when I land at a local airport to get fuel the radio is sitting on 122.8 when I shut it down. When I power back up after restart, the radio will now be sitting on 132.8 or maybe 123.8. its random but has jumped one digit.

Any ideas?

Some radios have an internal memory saver battery that keeps the last freq stored so that when you power up it goes back to the last setting. Some radios use a keep alive circuit that goes back to the battery to accomplish the same thing. The battery is replacable by a shop . The keep alive circuit usually has a small fuse holder in it and may have a blown fuse or broken wire. Not sure which your radio uses.

The KX155 (as well as the 155A) does not have an internal battery. It uses an EAROM.

My guess is that the EAROM is shot. They do have a finite life.

Yes, EPROMS have a finite life, but they are measured in tens of thousands of cycles (100k cycles MTBF is the standard). Of course, there is always area under the bathtub curve and it is possible this is one of those unfortunate. I'd look elsewhere and if all else is good, replace the EPROM (a horrible job at best).

Jim

Back