KX-170b slides out of tray

Narwhal

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
?
Hello,

I have an ancient KX-170b n my C182B that still works. Unfortunately it tends to slide out of it's tray every 2-3 hours of flight time despite my best efforts to secure it.

I though you're not supposed to torque down the allen screw on the front of the radio, only turn it until it stops rotating so that the "tooth" will extend into the gap in the mountaing tray. I think if you torque the screw down you will just break the mechanism, so I haven't been. I was thinking of trying some low strength loctite or some kind of adhesive because it seems to be vibrating loose fairly regularly, usually during takeoff at higher pitch attitude.

The mechanism seems to be intact when I remove and inspect the unit, although there might be a part (like a spring) and I wouldn't know any better.

Any idea the best way to secure this radio in the panel?

Thanks.

I think that has a quarter turn quick lock. Press in hard, and turn it a quarter turn further

You may have the version where there is a part that is on a longer threaded section, and must be "unscrewed" fully before inserting. Then, the "tooth" slips inside the keyway, and rotates with the screw until it turns a quarter turn, and stops. The screw then pulls the radio in tight, no hard torque required. See if there is a threaded section extending from the "tooth".

Back