KX-170 Radio Rack

weirdjim

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
weirdjim
Anybody know where I might be able to trade pictures of old dead Presidents for a KX-170 Radio Rack COMPLETE WITH CONNECTORS?

Thanks,

Jim

Maybe a junkyard? I know they'll pull radios, but I believe they'll leave obsolete trays in the airframe hulks since pretty much nobody will install a KX170 today from scratch and the radios are only in demand for spares/replacements in existing installations.

Wentworth Aircraft always advertises that they have trays...

Have you tried Faeth Aircraft Salvage down on Sunrise, just South of HWY 50? I picked up an MX-12 there pretty cheap and had it yellow tagged.

Yes, Kenny Faeth is pretty good with that stuff but the 170 rack also fits the MX-170 replacement radio and comes without its own rack so those racks are at a premium. I'm only needing one for bench testing jig so I could use one that was bashed beyond use so long as the connectors are there. I could fab a rack in the shop if I needed to but can't fab those ancient connectors.

Jim

I could fab a rack in the shop if I needed to but can't fab those ancient connectors.
Jim

What connector are we talking about? The one mounted to the rack?

What connector are we talking about? The one mounted to the rack?

The double register Amphenol pc card connector is the prime one, but the two little flared BNC devices are hard to come by also.

If I could find just those connectors I'd simply gin up a flat plate mount to fit onto the back of the radio so I could work on it on the bench.

Jim

I will take a peek out in the shed.. saw one not too long ago. Whats it worth to you? Want the radio with it?

I will take a peek out in the shed.. saw one not too long ago. Whats it worth to you? Want the radio with it?

What's it worth? That's always the question. There was a pristine one on ebay (earlier in this thread) that would have been $150 with the shipping. That's way WAY high. Dunno. Maybe some of the brethren (or sistren) in this group could suggest a way to value it.

As to the radio itself, perhaps as a parts radio for the two I've got in the airplane. Again, what's a KX-170 (A? B?) worth?

THere are a ton of 170 racks on ebay for $35 but without connectors. THere is one connector plate only for $65 but without the RF connectors. A ratty KX-170B is on there for $130. There is an even rattier one for $450. Who knows what they are really worth?

Last I looked Amphenol had discontinued the double-index PCB connector but perhaps I could find one at Surplus Sam's Used Avionics Emporium but not likely. Nor the flared BNC connectors but those I could machine if I had to. Still trying to figure the best way to go.

Thanks,

Jim

Whichever you need. I've got several of each.

Well then the SELLER generally puts a price and the BUYER offers to that price.

I only need the backplane connectors (both the power/signal and the two RF).

I really don't NEED the whole rack.

The radios themselves I could use for standards or for parts, depending on their condition.

WHy don't you price what you've got and let me see what I think I might be able to use?

Thanks,

Jim

Don't get me wrong. If I can help you fine. If not. No problem. I just happen to have several around and use them from time to time. I have no idea what they are worth. I happen to know I have couple of the connectors on hand you need.

Don't get me wrong. If I can help you fine. If not. No problem. I just happen to have several around and use them from time to time. I have no idea what they are worth. I happen to know I have couple of the connectors on hand you need.

I'm not getting you wrong. Neither of us know what this stuff is worth and we are thrashing around trying to figure out what it is worth on the open market.

Except that there IS NO open market. Fortunately I just went WAY back into my old stone age junkbox and found a KX-175 WITH a rack that mates with the 170 series.

However, if you ever come back with a price on your old 170s with racks I'd be interested in what you think they are worth.

THanks,

Jim

I'm not getting you wrong. Neither of us know what this stuff is worth and we are thrashing around trying to figure out what it is worth on the open market.

Except that there IS NO open market. Fortunately I just went WAY back into my old stone age junkbox and found a KX-175 WITH a rack that mates with the 170 series.

However, if you ever come back with a price on your old 170s with racks I'd be interested in what you think they are worth.

THanks,

Jim

Check E-Bay past sales see what they are selling for.

Back