KX-155A Question.

Jack C-137

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Jack C-137
So you're flying along and you want to tune in the FAY VOR on your KX-155A radio and #2 Obs/glideslope. How do you do that?

Please show all work.

63E15DB6-68E2-4EB6-940B-5907445F4D89.jpeg F147E25B-7EA4-4A8E-9E10-8AF37C7BAE76.png

Is this a trick question?

You spin the knobs on the right to tune the frequency you want, then press the flip flop button.

Is this a trick question?

You spin the knobs on the right to tune the frequency you want, then press the flip flop button.

Perhaps you try that but when turning the inner knob you notice that The inner knob only goes in .05 increments.

Does the knob pull out for .025 increments? Just a guess.

Yep. Dial in 108.8, press the white button. Then spin the OBS. Easy.

Unless something is busted and this is a silly trick?

Perhaps you try that but when turning the inner knob you notice that The inner knob only goes in .05 increments.

Fayetteville is on 108.8 and that is an increment of 0.05 isn't it?

Or do you mean your radio is selecting 108.85, 108.95, 109.05, 109.15? I don't think it's supposed to do that. Does the knob pull out?

Yeah, when I tune in FAY, my #2 large knob spins to 108, changing 1 unit per click; the little knob moves .05 per click, so 108.50 to start, then 108.55, 108.60, 108.65, 108.70, 108.75, 108.80. Then press the white flip flop button, which moves it to active, then twist the knob on the VOR head to find the track "TO" FAY if I'm heading to the in-laws or "FROM" if I'm heading home.

Tuning in FAY Approach at 125.175 is a little more complicated, but the knobs work the same way on Com2 as on Nav2 above. Spin the big knob to 125; then spin the little knob for either .15 or .20, pull it out until it clicks and stays out, then go one click to .17 and push it back in. Then hit the white flip-flop button to activate it.

Big Knob, Small Knob, Flip Flop, Rotate OBS, select NAV on audio panel and IDENT morse code.

More importantly, how are you getting 125KIAS in level flight in a Skyhawk????

I've
And there's the proof that this whole thing is a big trick. :)

Occasionally a headwind gets confused and it attack from behind20180930_171339.jpg .

I legit wish there was a video on YouTube of someone using one of these radios because i must be missing something here.

No, I did run at high RPMs because I was running behind and wanted to get where I was going before the FBO closed.

This isn't a subliminal "hey I just want to show off how fast I can get a Rented 172" thread. It's a "I can't seem to figure out this legacy radio to save my ass and it's really frustrating" thread.

No, I did run at high RPMs because I was running behind and wanted to get where I was going before the FBO closed.

This isn't a subliminal "hey I just want to show off how fast I can get a Rented 172" thread. It's a "I can't seem to figure out this legacy radio to save my ass and it's really frustrating" thread.

What problem are you having??? Kind of hard to help when your posts are so vague. Maybe you're the one that sound post a video.

Occasionally a headwind gets confused and it attack from behind

This thread makes my head hurt. Did your CFI not teach you how to dial in a nav freq on something other than a GTN750?

Last edited:
This thread makes my head hurt. Did your CFI not teach you how to dial in a nav freq on something other then a GTN750?

No, because my CFI was too busy teaching me how to dial a nav frequency into a MX385 and how to pull an immelmann so I could avoid Jerry in my Sopwith Camel. If your head hurts maybe you should take an aspirin and lay down on the couch.

Also FYSA that's a GTN650 in the photo.

Back