KVGT, KLAS training question.

gsfan23

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
gsfan23
Hi. I don't post often but love reading the information and banter with everyone. The question I have is this: I am looking for a CFII to finish my IFR and go on to my commercial. I'm in the Las Vegas valley now and was wondering if there were any instructors not at the usual flight schools. I'm a veteran but don't have any more GI bill to use. Any help or inside would be appreciated. Thanks.

You are looking for independent instructors. I know one with a plane, but he is getting ready to deploy for 6 months. I can check to see if he has some others instructing in his plane.

I think he has a PA28-235 and something else, his C-310 is on the market.

Other than that I would recommend West Air Aviation at VGT.

I was scheduled for a week long finish up course with Scott Best in NC the last week in Jan. Due to timing I am having to cancel. I can't comment on the quality of his training since I haven't gone through the course yet although I do plan to reschedule. He may now have an open slot at the end of Jan. If you like I can send along his info.

I was scheduled for a week long finish up course with Scott Best in NC the last week in Jan. Due to timing I am having to cancel. I can't comment on the quality of his training since I haven't gone through the course yet although I do plan to reschedule. He may now have an open slot at the end of Jan. If you like I can send along his info.

NC? The op said he's in Las Vegas....:confused:

I have rented and flown a 172/CFI with West Air at VGT. Nice, friendly staff. It was a good experience.

Pretty sure LAS has no flight schools.

That's why we fly isn't it? To travel? I'm in IL. Didn't know I was only supposed to use local instructors for an IFR finish up course. Not only did the OP ask for instructors "not at the usual flight schools", which seems to be what you offered, he didn't stipulate it had to be in Vegas either. The program I mentioned is specifically a one week IFR " finish up" course. While there are several CFIIs that offer this sort of course around the country this is the guy I'm signed up with because it includes training in his plane or yours as well as lodging for a week.

You are looking for independent instructors. I know one with a plane, but he is getting ready to deploy for 6 months. I can check to see if he has some others instructing in his plane.

I think he has a PA28-235 and something else, his C-310 is on the market.

Other than that I would recommend West Air Aviation at VGT.

Tom at Sin City has a PA-28-180. It's IFR and a fun little plane to fly. He's deploying, but I believe he has another instructor that will be running ops while he's gone. Availability may be an issue as they're running several guys through their ATP, but couldn't hurt to give them a call. Both instructors are AD military. PM me if you want their contact info. If you go to West Air, talk to Tim Wahler.

Tom at Sin City has a PA-28-180. It's IFR and a fun little plane to fly. He's deploying, but I believe he has another instructor that will be running ops while he's gone. Availability may be an issue as they're running several guys through their ATP, but couldn't hurt to give them a call. Both instructors are AD military. PM me if you want their contact info. If you go to West Air, talk to Tim Wahler.

How's that work with the new ATP rule changes?

These studs are getting their ATP before the two year period runs out. They took their written in July 2014, just before the rule change took effect.

Yes send his contact info along. LAS does not have any schools. I live right near VGT so it's either West Air or Elite for training. Pros and cons for both, but at this point I'm just wanting to get done.

Thanks. As far as traveling I am not opposed just not financially doable at the moment.

Yes send his contact info along. LAS does not have any schools. I live right near VGT so it's either West Air or Elite for training. Pros and cons for both, but at this point I'm just wanting to get done.

Sent you a PM for a source.

Thanks everyone for the responses. Just got ahold of the guy.

Back