Kutztown Airport Closure Dates Announced

Erice

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Erice
According to this October 10 article in the Reading Eagle, Kutztown airport will close, and no airplanes will be allowed to land there after January 31, 2009. The owners have ordered the Medivac helicopter operations off the property within the next 30 days (November 6, 2008).

The article says that the owners want $14.5 million for the 70-acre property (more than $200K per acre), or they will sell it to a developer for that price to build a shopping center.
________
Honda CR750

Last edited:
Just have to hope they've taken Fed money in the past and then they will be informed that they can't close it....

They should look really hard to see if the developer still has the financing to buy the land.....

Just have to hope they've taken Fed money in the past and then they will be informed that they can't close it....

^that^

I watched One Six Right, and its really sad how many airports are being closed down because people find the planes to be annoying, and the can't fly out of them, so they find it of no use to them. I think everyone needs to experience a flight in a small prop plane at least once so that they are not all going nuts to close down airports.

This is awful. Its a nice little airport.

Wow, I'm sad now,.. that was a great little place to fly in the other week and have dinner with you guys. Such a shame. :(

I know they have used some State funds to help purchase a tractor and a dumptruck, but I don't think they've taken any Federal money.
________
free wordpress themes

Last edited:
:mad::(This really really stinks. I was hoping they would keep it open even though the flight school closed.

I drove by the former N31 today. The property has not been sold yet. The medical group worked out something with the land owners to keep the helicopter based there. But the runway itself is closed.

Attachments

• 2011-09-18_13-12-29_716.jpg
    2011-09-18_13-12-29_716.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 60
I hear that a local tycoon named Martin is preparing a bid. Wants to develop a fly in industrial/business park/airport.

I got a FSS breifing on Friday and they told me there was parachute jumping there, I said " are you sure about that?"

Sorry to revive an old thread (and perhaps get anyone's hopes up) but anyone have any updates on the airport? I noticed earlier in the thread someone had proposed to buy it for use as an airport. Any updates? I see it has been developed as of last September, and the Medivac helicopter is still there.

It closed a year before I bought my plane, so I never got to fly-in to the diner. Too bad they couldn't just leave it open. I'm guessing the owners didn't want to deal with maintenance of the pavement or paying insurance on the airport. Too bad.

Back