Kudos to ATC

Salty

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Salty
Flew into Fon du Lac today and have to give it up for all the controllers along the way. I filed IFR, mostly for the radar services close to Oshkosh. They all did a great job with the volumes of traffic involved. I didn’t hear a single vfr request get denied, though I did chuckle when someone foolishly asked for, and was denied, a practice approach into Rockford.

And what's more, even with the high volumes, I finally got help from ATC. in my experiences thus far, they’ve generally been more trouble than they are worth. Anyway, I there was weather in my path, so I filed to an airport to the west that would keep us out of it. And, as usual they took it out of my clearance and sent me direct……

Awhile later they amended my clearance with a half dozen waypoints. None of which I ever made it too, as usual. I love that. They did this 3 times and I literally never crossed one of the waypoints they gave me, as they were vectoring me anyway.

All of that is fine, it gave me something to do. But, finally I get to the storms. I made a simple call asking if I could get direct Peoria which would get me around the worst of it. They granted my request immediately with a “Peoria will have to figure out what to do with you when I switch you to them”. When I switched to Peoria, they gave me a new clearance that avoided the storms without me having to ask again. Of course, as I said, I never hit any of the waypoints in the clearance anyway, but still, they did a great job adjusting and keeping us safe.

Saw hundreds of aircraft, though most of them were headed away from Oshkosh, I guess to meet up for mass arrivals.

Flew into Fon du Lac today and have to give it up for all the controllers along the way. I filed IFR, mostly for the radar services close to Oshkosh. They all did a great job with the volumes of traffic involved. I didn’t hear a single vfr request get denied, though I did chuckle when someone foolishly asked for, and was denied, a practice approach into Rockford.

And what's more, even with the high volumes, I finally got help from ATC. in my experiences thus far, they’ve generally been more trouble than they are worth. Anyway, I there was weather in my path, so I filed to an airport to the west that would keep us out of it. And, as usual they took it out of my clearance and sent me direct……

Awhile later they amended my clearance with a half dozen waypoints. None of which I ever made it too, as usual. I love that. They did this 3 times and I literally never crossed one of the waypoints they gave me, as they were vectoring me anyway.

All of that is fine, it gave me something to do. But, finally I get to the storms. I made a simple call asking if I could get direct Peoria which would get me around the worst of it. They granted my request immediately with a “Peoria will have to figure out what to do with you when I switch you to them”. When I switched to Peoria, they gave me a new clearance that avoided the storms without me having to ask again. Of course, as I said, I never hit any of the waypoints in the clearance anyway, but still, they did a great job adjusting and keeping us safe.

Saw hundreds of aircraft, though most of them were headed away from Oshkosh, I guess to meet up for mass arrivals.
That's cuz Peoria is the best. You coulda landed and gotten a free lunch though. ;)

Back