Kudos to a young instructor

poadeleted3

Pattern Altitude
I've noticed young instructors tend to get ragged on a bit in the aviation world sometimes.

I wanted to throw out some kudos to a most pleasant young man I flew with this weekend, Jessie out of Hortman Aviation at PNE. I flew with him to check in their Tigers again.

He knew what he was doing with the plane, more importantly he knew how to teach. Some things I did he preferred to do otherwise, but didn't have a cow and presented what he liked to do, for example I've always checked fuel last, he says he prefers first in case he has to call for gas, a point worth considering. There were other things. In the air, he'd offer suggestions, not demands that I do things only his way. His suggestions were good ones, even if I still like doing things otherwise. He went out of his way to find things to teach me. He didn't have to in the context of a checkout, but he spent a fair amount of time showing me some goodies on the Garmin 430s... nice things to know, and handy, but he could have contented himself with making sure I knew how to tune the radios and use the direct to functions like some other instructors have. He struck me as a very good and patient instructor, one I'd like to learn more from.

After we landed, and I had to switch planes to a somewhat more.... well used plane without all the fancy new goodies, he walked out to the plane with me and made sure I knew how to use the radios in it.

Best of all, instead of sitting around diddling after our flight was over, he stood there talking about airplanes with someone else, checking them (the airplanes, not the someone else) out while they taxied around. Seemed to me like he hasn't let instructing get him down, indeed he's quite good at it. Did my heart good to deal with a young man like that, and I'll be asking for him by name when I need an instructor from Hortman again.

Weel he probably related well to you since you are so young yourself, at least according to your POA Public profile :D:D

Date of Birth:
May 29th, 1987 Age:
18 Display Name:
Joe Williams

smigaldi said:
Weel he probably related well to you since you are so young yourself, at least according to your POA Public profile :D:D

Date of Birth:
May 29th, 1987 Age:
18 Display Name:
Joe Williams

Lying about one's age is a sure sign of starting to feel old LOL.

Joe Williams said:
I wanted to throw out some kudos to a most pleasant young man I flew with this weekend, Jessie out of Hortman Aviation at PNE. I flew with him to check in their Tigers again.
Very nice, thoughtful post, Joe. May it bring Jessie more business! :yes:

Now where is that reputation system now that I need it?? :dunno:

-Skip

Yes as a younger person myself (28) I really enjoyed this post!

Well done!

My first instructor was (and still is ) rather youthful. He was a great instructor, good sense of humour, patient as they come. I enjoyed learning and flying with him. I don't hold youth against anyone until warranted.

Everyone starts off with my complete respect and then retreats from there. :)

Joe Williams said:
He struck me as a very good and patient instructor, one I'd like to learn more from.
This is the highest compliment a teacher can receive, IMO.

Thanks for the post Joe, as a young CFI myself it means a lot.

My first CFI (he was 23yr old) followed the Cessna cylibus but did a great job keeping the "class" interesting. I think he showed me every sight within 50nm of Fairbanks. He left for another flying job before we finished but he really took intrest in his students. If anybody in Alaska knows Cole Neibur have him contact me because he left a headset in my plane when he left and I cant find him to return them.

Back