KTPA (Tampa) - hotbed of credit card fraud?

Matthew

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Matthew
Around noon yesterday my phone text, voice mail, and email started blowing up. My credit card company was trying to reach me to see if I had made some charges to my card. Three had gone through, for a total of about $12 (roughly $2 at McDonalds, $3 parking, and $6 gas). Then a $132 charge was made and I got a text asking me if it was real. I didn't respond quickly enough to that text, so that charge was declined. I know the pattern is to make one or two small purchases to verify the number is valid, then try to make a large buy before the card gets cancelled. I got hold of my CC company within a few minutes. I have a new card on the way.

All 4 charges were either at, or immediately near, KTPA. Thanks for the lookout, USAA.

Always a good thing ,when the credit card companies,pay attention. I never complain when the check my charges.

I check my accounts almost daily online. A couple weeks ago I saw a $5 charge I didn't make. Called them right away, charge reversed, new card in the mail.

Last edited:
I like the text msg alerts I get from CapitalOne every time a charge goes through on my card.

There's a lot of tweakers and pill heads over there. They gotta pay for it somehow.

I just had 110 dollars in charges for train tickets in Spain. I told the CC company I definitely didn't buy any train tickets and I'm pretty sure I'm not in Spain. They reversed the charges and sent a new card Fedex overnight (with AM delivery, they really didn't want me to stop charging I guess).

About 15 years ago I got a call from my same CC company asking about pet food purchases somewhere in Europe. Wasn't me. I'm sure I heard the mouse click over the phone as my card was cancelled.

My wife's AMEX card got compromised (we're fairly certain it happened in a local bar/pool all). They started with trivial stuff (notably some Vistaprint stuff and a subscription to the cookbook of the month club) before trying some big stuff. AMEX caught it right away.

On the other hand, I used my AMEX card to settle my bill at the Hilton in Oshkosh and flew to Broken Bow, Nebraska where we had lunch on the card and then on to Fort Collins where I went to the local mega liquor store to purchase $2000 of wine, beer, and liquor for my daughter's wedding. The clerk says "American Express would like you to call them."

Me: Hi, this is me (and some identifying information).
AMEX: Thank you, Mr. Natalie. Are you in possession of your card?
Me: Yes.
AMEX: And you were in Oshkosh, Wisconsin this morning.
Me: That was me.
AMEX: And you were in Broken Bow, Nebraska later.
Me: That was me, too.
AMEX: And you are in Fort Collins, Colorado now?
Me: Yes, I am here.
AMEX: And you are in possession of your card?
Me: Yes, I was in all those places. I'm here buying liquor for my daughter's wedding.
(then it occurred to me why this was a problem.
I have a private aircraft that got me between all these points.
AMEX: Oh yes, have a nice day.

Back