KTOA to F35

Old Fart

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jeff
KTOA to L35

Ok, as I get closer to my PPL (a little more hood work and then it's time for checkride and written), I've occasionally had the CFI sit right seat for "fun" airports that I've always wanted to fly to (and will eventually), but want him along for the first "few" times (few being determined by how hard it seemed, and of course his opinion)

Did Catalina (KAVX) the other week - was a blast (and not as bad as I was expecting)

L35 Big Bear is on that list. Looking at sectionals, topo maps (4 wheeled up there for 40 years+), getting an idea of the best approach from KTOA. Looks like I want to be north of Hwy 18 (north of Butler Peak) is how I want to get to the west side of the lake, but looking for advice as to the best route to get up the hill from say - SBD

Last edited:
I'm sure there are other possibly better ways, but for what it's worth, I flew northeast at 9500 feet, past San Bernardino (SBD) and Redlands (REI), and then S-turned along the top of the canyon to the dam at the west end of the lake.

I came back out at 8500 feet.

Check out Google Earth and rotate it around with your mouse, using Shift-Click, to get a sense of what the 3D terrain looks like from altitude. Don't go right!

BigBear.jpg

First thing is, get the identifier right. F35 is in Texas. Big Bear is L35.

Second, get high early and approach over the dam. Highway 18 from San Bernardino is very easy to spot and goes just where you want.

Damn, F and L are so far apart on the keyboard that I can't even blame my fat fingers. Last time I dictate a post to the dachshund to type :)

Thanks!

Back