KT76A Transponder after roughly serial number 100,000

MPB

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
MPB
Hi folks,

I keep hearing that a post 100,000 serial number KT76A transponder is still a very usable transponder. My understanding is that it is a solid state (???) and does not have the tube earlier KT76s had, thus it's a viable unit and it makes sense to repair/replace should it fail. What says the crowd?

Reason I'm asking is I have the KT76A using a Tailbeacon as ADSB and all is working fine. However, I'm contemplating adding a second WAAS GPS and I'm thinking about getting rid of a TKM170C and installing a GNC355. The TKM170C works fine but I'd like to get something more modern in there. Alternatively, if I need to ditch the KT76A I"ll add a Garmin 375 (GPS and Transponder) pull the Tailbeacon and keep the TKM170c.

I’m not an avionics guy, but the solid state nature of some KT76As is news to me. Having said that, I have the same TailBeacon/KT76A setup and works well. My Avionics guy tries to upsell me on getting rid of the KT76A, but not doing it until there is a performance issue.

As far as your decisions about wanting this or that, it’s your decision which way you spend your money.

Last edited:
Since many of us have moved on, used, older transponders seem low cost now, or free.

$50-100 for kt76a or c

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

$50-100 for kt76a or c

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Other than the additional cost of a new transponder check from your avionics shop each time one is replaced, one could rinse and repeat for quite a long while.

Back