Kt76 transponder shows "two targets"

Mike5250

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Mike5250
I started flying a 150 in a partnership and ATC has now mentioned twice that two targets show up while on flight following. Any ideas before we spend money on troubleshooting?

Off topic, do you think this would deter approach from giving us radar services or clearance in phl/bos/ny class B?

I started flying a 150 in a partnership and ATC has now mentioned twice that two targets show up while on flight following. Any ideas before we spend money on troubleshooting?

Off topic, do you think this would deter approach from giving us radar services or clearance in phl/bos/ny class B?

That is bizzarre..... :dunno::dunno::confused:

Spin the knobs through a few revolutions. That usually fixes the problem. Avionics guy mentioned something about wafers. Yeah, I assume it would cause issues with ATC, when it happened to me, they asked me to tun my transponder off.

Take a look under the panel, etc... and see if the DEA has donated an extra transponder to your plane :)

I'll try spinning some knobs and call approach and see if its still happening.

The DEA is worried about the hauling capabilities of the 150!

WIthout going into a long theory of radar, you are squitting as much energy into your sidelobes as the main bang. Most often due to the transponder frequency drift. It is half an hour of shop time to set it back right.

However, the 24 month transponder check SHOULD have shown the frequency error. What does the log show for the biennial transponder check?

Jim

WIthout going into a long theory of radar, you are squitting as much energy into your sidelobes as the main bang. Most often due to the transponder frequency drift. It is half an hour of shop time to set it back right.

However, the 24 month transponder check SHOULD have shown the frequency error. What does the log show for the biennial transponder check?

Jim

Thanks. 1/2 hr of shop time doesn't sound bad. I'll try to check logs this weekend.

Still showing two targets! Going to look at the logs. Do you think ATC will get annoyed and deny clearance through class b over this?

Still showing two targets! Going to look at the logs. Do you think ATC will get annoyed and deny clearance through class b over this?

Still showing two targets AFTER WHAT??? C'mon, buddy, lots of us have more on our plate than we can handle. Give us a fighting chance to help.

Jim

Philly approach told me two targets is better than no target and gave me a few transitions through bravo airspace so it must not upset them too much.

Philly approach told me two targets is better than no target and gave me a few transitions through bravo airspace so it must not upset them too much.

Ya know.... Now that you are AWARE of the defective transponder and you continue to fly with it broadcasting ghost targets , my gut feeling is the FAA ain't gonna be happy if something comes up...:confused:

Ya know.... Now that you are AWARE of the defective transponder and you continue to fly with it broadcasting ghost targets , my gut feeling is the FAA ain't gonna be happy if something comes up...:confused:

We are taking it to avionic shop. Like someone mentioned here, it may need to be adjusted...hopefully not replaced.

We are taking it to avionic shop. Like someone mentioned here, it may need to be adjusted...hopefully not replaced.

Kool...... Please report back as to what the avionics shop found and why it was doing that...

Thanks in advance.

Spent a lot of time and trouble with this issue on a Mooney with a KT76. It ended up being a faulty circuit breaker cycling it off and on. During power up it would show up to ATC as two or three planes in formation.

They always asked about it but never denied clearance.

Hope you get it figured out.

Back