KT74 and what else to be ADSB Out Compliant?

jimmyjack

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
Nick
I just had installed a KT76A. I am looking at the KT74 as a slide in replacement for ADSB Out compliance. What other physical boxes need installed to be legal? Apparently the transponder itself isn't enough. I don't know much about it.

I just had installed a KT76A. I am looking at the KT74 as a slide in replacement for ADSB Out compliance. What other physical boxes need installed to be legal? Apparently the transponder itself isn't enough. I don't know much about it.

It needs a certified GPS that is on the ADSB compliant STC to provide position information, a connection from the GPS to the KT74, possibly a new transponder antenna coax if the current cable doesn't meet the specs of the STC, and at least for the GNS series GPS's the STC calls for a pressure switch to be installed in the pitot static line to deactivate the system on the ground (i.e., when the plane is moving slower than a certain speed).

As far as I know, the Garmin GNS and GTN series GPSs are on the STC, and I presume that the new King GPS is also approved (but I don't know that).

If the plane doesn't have an altitude encoder, one of those must be installed. The KT-74 will use either a Gray Code or Serial connected encoder. But I expect that the KT-76A is set up for Mode C and has an encoder.

You will need the tray and back plate that comes with the 74 as well.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

You will need the tray and back plate that comes with the 74 as well.

As long as the KT74 is updated to the most recent firmware it may be installed for ADS-B service along with a GNS/GTN (and possibly a King) GPS using the KT-76A tray/backplate. I recall that there may be a limitation to using gray code communication with the altitude encoder (but not certain of that) due to a limited number of serial connections on the single connector of the KT-76A connector, but otherwise no tray change needed. I believe that it even allows for TIS-A output to the GPS.

King doesn't publish much installation detail for the KT-74 online (expect for dealers), so I can't provide a reference. But the KT-74 is just a Trig TT31 with a different faceplate, and Trig provides lots of info for the TT31. A reference to using the KT-76A tray for the TT31 can be found here: http://www.trig-avionics.com/products/tt31/. I later confirmed with King that the KT-74 could also be installed in a KT-76A tray for ADS-B service.

Wow, thanks. This was just idle curiosity as I just spent $$$ on the 76A, but I went from dials on the xponder to dials on the xponder. I would love to have the push button interface.

The 76A only has one connector in the backplate. The 74 has two. You can plug the 74 into a 76 tray and will have Mode S but there is no jack for the GPS and other various signals. You need the second connector to make it ADS-B out.

The 76A only has one connector in the backplate. The 74 has two. You can plug the 74 into a 76 tray and will have Mode S but there is no jack for the GPS and other various signals. You need the second connector to make it ADS-B out.

It was that way at first, but no longer. The current KT-74 firmware enables a serial connection on the single connector common to both the KT-74 and the KT-76A, and that connector on the KT-74 can be tied into the GPS to provide position information to the KT-74 and allows it to operate in 1090es mode. The link a couple of posts above is to the Trig website (the KT-74 is just a rebranded/refaceplated Trig TT31) and you can start there to access complete information...including an installation manual which explains how to connect for ADS-B using the KT76A tray.

Back