KT 74 vs GTX 345

Need much more info. What are you trying to accomplish?

Im trying to do a panel upgrade (previous post). Essentially 2-G5's; GTN 650 (replacing 430); JPI 900 Engine Monitor; and some lighting. The shop suggested an upgrade in xpdr but not sure I should. I also fly with a Stratus/ipad/foreglight setup.

I guess the difference is traffic display on the 650, but you're using iCrap for that anyway.

Comes down to dollars I think.

Both transponders will serve the mandate.

The 345 will put info on the 650, and on a tablet (FF on iPAD, or a Garmin handheld). Totally worth it if you have a small screen GPS like a 650/430. If you don't mind having the info only on the portable, and using a portable "in" receiver, you can save the money.

The 345 will put info on the 650, and on a tablet (FF on iPAD, or a Garmin handheld). Totally worth it if you have a small screen GPS like a 650/430. If you don't mind having the info only on the portable, and using a portable "in" receiver, you can save the money.
Thanks. Thats the piece I didnt understand.

Yea, if you have a Garmin stack, you'd be foolish not to keep it all on the same logical integration.

He's already got the 74 installed and working, which gives him "out" compliance. While "in" data on the panel would be nice, I could see why one would choose to put the 6 AMUs into something else.

Yea I would keep the 74 and just keep using a portable for in. I almost always take my cell or ipad on every flight anyway.

Just to be clear, with the KT74, you will get TIS-A traffic on the 430 or 650 and no TIS-B traffic or FIS-B weather like with the 345.

The 345 also provides an audio alerts for traffic via your audio panel.

I agree with those saying keep the 74.

Here’s another perk that you may not have thought of. The stratus (esp if you have a 2) will give you all the ads-b in you need and it will do it INDEPENDENTLY. The beauty of that is in the event of a major panel failure (that took out your Transponder) you’ll still have your tablet, wx, synthetic vision without any reliance on the panel mounted 345.

I too have dual G5’s. I have an IFD 550 and Avidyne in/out transponders. Despite all that redundancy I still keep the stratus 2 remotely mounted (powers up/down with ships power) to run Foreflight on the yoke mount mini.

I think all these fully capable standalone glass panels are beautiful and very functional but sometimes the redundancy of a pieces together panel is very hard to beat. I’ll keep my patchwork panel!

Back