KSXL & New River Gorge West Virginia

Jhkm12345

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
John
First post here -
Trip report on a spot that might become our regular go-to family trip.
I'm tempted to keep it a secret but it was just too good not to brag about it.

Our family (dad/mom/11yo son) made a weekend trip to WV for some camping, hiking and rafting this past weekend and I cannot explain how perfect this location is for a GA tripping family. If you like being outdoors, they've got it all.

First, SXL, Summersville WV airport. Not fancy, but clean and well kept with cheapish gas (4.40 as of last weekend), easy access to everything you want to see in the area, very secure, multiple crew cars and possibly the most genuine hospitality I've seen from any GA airport manager. Caleb could not have been any more pleasant and helpful in suggestions, planning, etc. He even followed up with a text the day after we left saying thank you for coming by and hoping we had a great time. Unreal. I've never felt so welcome at an airport.

Walking distance from the airport is lakeside camping, hiking, MB trails, a scenic lake with rocky cliff faces and boat rentals of all sorts.

Fayetteville WV is about a 20 minute ride south from the airport. This is where we went.
Camping, unreal hiking (endless wall), world class and lazy rafting, mountain biking (good rentals available everywhere- arrowhead bike farm)
There are several white water rafting outfits, but the one we chose (based on another BT recommendation in another thread) was New & Gauley Adventures - (guide named Amos).

New River Gorge National Park comes highly recommended and one of few places that we all instantly agreed that we'll be going back to soon.

On a side note, if you're a flying family with similar interests and aged kids, let us know! We're always looking for folks to meet up with and do weekend / day trips in the south east. We're based out of CVC near Atlanta.

I flew into SXL in 2004. Had a great hike near the airport. Landing there is like landing on an aircraft carrier, although I've never done that. The runway is up on a rock peninsula about 60 feet above Summersville Lake. On the approach from the south, you pass over the huge earthen dam. It's easy to get distracted with the distance to the ground changing so drastically. I attached a picture of the lake and a boater from the peninsula. Great place to spend a day.

Attachments

• P7291722.JPG
    P7291722.JPG
    357.2 KB · Views: 19
Back