KSQL to Stovepipe Wells L09 Flight Plan Help

Bryce Salmi

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
KB1LQC
Hey all,

I recently moved up to the Bay Area from Los Angeles and am thinking of planning a camping trip to Stovepipe Wells L09. This would be a VFR flight so definitely will be flexible on out/return times and/or with cancellation. That said this would be in a C172N (technically a Deltahawk STC) and in the end of November 2020. I would love suggestions for planning this route.

Obviously I need to get over or around the Sierra Nevada mountains. Most obviously it appears that I would need to fly down towards the Kern Valley L05 and Mojave area and then navigate northeast around the mountains. I roughly drew this out in the attached image.

That said, am I missing any obvious paths through/around the Sierra Nevada mountains? I know the service ceiling of the plane is 14,200 MSL but I don't want to assume it's a good idea to pick any path I can safely get over the mountains and go for it. That seems like asking for some mountain wind phenomenon or unnecessary hazardous force landing regions. I'd rather ask people who may have flown this route and get some firsthand tips.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-10-11 at 10.56.22 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-10-11 at 10.56.22 PM.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 57
Plan on 7,500 -- that area east of bakersfield/taft is easy to pick a route through and pretty benign.

Your route is solid and the same one I would choose. A skyhawk isn't the right tool to cross over the Sierras with, IMO -- but it can be done. That 14,200 ceiling requires all sorts of things to go right, and would probably still take hours to achieve. I'd put a practical limit of 10K on the thing until you prove it has hero powers (or can maintain 500fpm climb) up there when loaded with gas and gear.

Your route is a good tiptoe into the Sierras though, and should be no trouble.

$0.02

Hey all,

I recently moved up to the Bay Area from Los Angeles and am thinking of planning a camping trip to Stovepipe Wells L09. This would be a VFR flight so definitely will be flexible on out/return times and/or with cancellation. That said this would be in a C172N (technically a Deltahawk STC) and in the end of November 2020. I would love suggestions for planning this route.

Obviously I need to get over or around the Sierra Nevada mountains. Most obviously it appears that I would need to fly down towards the Kern Valley L05 and Mojave area and then navigate northeast around the mountains. I roughly drew this out in the attached image.

That said, am I missing any obvious paths through/around the Sierra Nevada mountains? I know the service ceiling of the plane is 14,200 MSL but I don't want to assume it's a good idea to pick any path I can safely get over the mountains and go for it. That seems like asking for some mountain wind phenomenon or unnecessary hazardous force landing regions. I'd rather ask people who may have flown this route and get some firsthand tips.

I’ve flown through there to Furnace Creek L06 coming from the South. You should plan on having to stay out of the Restricted Areas. When I did it they offered me R2524 above 10,000 but I didn’t want to go that high so I did the ‘Trona Gap.’ Here’s a waypoint way through. 62CL SERUE L72 but it’s easy to ‘pilotage’ your way through. All them roads, railroads, power lines and other landmarks are easily seen. Joshua Approach is very accommodating, I’ve worked with them a lot having been based out of Fox Field KWJF. You don’t wanna be messin around there with winds aloft above around 25 knots unless you’re a thrill seeker.

Last edited:
Plan on 7,500 -- that area east of bakersfield/taft is easy to pick a route through and pretty benign.....

All I know is I ALWAYS say ‘bakersfield’ the way Tom Hanks did in castaway.

if You wanted to be adventurous and are looking for an alternate route, you could get that 172 up and over at Mammoth, which is the lowest point in 50 miles either direction. Here are the criteria I’d be looking for:

- calm winds aloft (something like 25mph or less at 12,000’)
- clear day
- winds calm on the METARs at Mammoth and Bishop
- crossing early morning

That said, the gigantic Clear Creek fire TFR is going to shut that route down for a while now...

All I know is I ALWAYS say ‘bakersfield’ the way Tom Hanks did in castaway.

Dude, you live in North Carolina. If you even think about Bakersfield, you need therapy:D. Well I’ll be danged, there’s a Bakersville in NC. That’s what I call Bakersfield, that or more often Bakersburg.

It isn't *that* much further to go up to Tahoe and cross there, and no dodging R-areas

Safest route is down to Bakersfield, track Highway 59, then "shoot the gap" between R-2505 and R-2524...a term even ATC uses there. Easy peasy especially if you have Foreflight or GPS...and 2505 is often cold where you can blow right through.

Be aware that weather reporting in the Owens and Death Valley is scant to nil. There is not good nexrad coverage in those areas, so running into rain showers that aren't forecast is a possibility. Winds in Death Valley can be...challenging. Be flexible on your arrival times and dates. If there is a possibility of high winds during your stay, I would postpone. If I recall correctly, there is a pretty good slope to the runway at Stovepipe Wells. No services, of course, and I'd ask if they have tiedown chains or cables. I've seen nasty dust storms roll through the Stovepipe Wells area.

The campground there is nice. Showers at the pool are about 200 psi, so be prepared to be exfoliated. How are you planning on getting around when you're there? Or just sticking to the Stovepipe Wells and sand dunes area?

Thanks all! This is some great info. It does confirm my thoughts there are no really great options for getting over the Sierra Nevada mountains, especially for someone like myself who at this time doesn't want to deal with that level of mountain flying. I would certainly keep an eye on the weather and likely call Stovepipe Wells manager prior to make sure the weather is good (I called to confirm camping and runway condition before positing this, very informative and kind).

I have plotted two rough paths to get down there based on this feedback. Shooting the gap makes sense so thanks for that info and the waypoints!

KSQL Woodside Departure: KSQL OSI V25 SNS V230 PXN V107 AVE V248 EHF 62CL SERUE L72 L09
Screen Shot 2020-10-13 at 8.32.13 AM.jpg
Basic idea is to stay under the Bravo shelf then follow the V25, V230, V107, and V248 down to Bakersfield. I like the idea of largely being within gliding distance of the I-5 and a few other major highways and a number of airports along the way. Additionally the VOR navigation combined with easy to spot pilotage of the route also a plus. Total distance is 371nm and I still am thinking about that L72 to L09 leg and if I want to go a little more east and come up Death Valley itself.

KSQL Coyote Hills Departure: KSQL VPCOY V107 AVE V248 EHF 62CL SERUE L72 L09
Screen Shot 2020-10-13 at 8.40.21 AM.jpg
Similar idea of staying under Bravo shelf then following V107 and V248. This route is a tad shorter at 356nm and a bit more of a straight shot at least at the beginning of the flight. Again, the L72 to L09 area still needs some thought.

Anyways, that's my current rough sketch at this time based on the feedback. I do much appreciate it!

On that note, I know of Stovepipe Wells and Kern Valley for airport camping (or walking distance from some) which will be open in November. Any other suggestions are welcome. I'd love to go to Columbia Airport O22 but it is indefinitely closed for camping due to COVID. Shelter Cove and Ocean also sound great but I am concerned the weather at the coast would be even more unpredictable. Happy to hear any thoughts on those too with local knowledge.

Back