KSNA

GaryP1007

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
GaryP1007
Flying from KCHD to KSNA next weekend. New to the Southwest....any hidden "gotcha's"?

Easy peasy class C with lots of GA and SoCal WANTS to be talking to you on FF so they are typically very helpful...Expect a 15 degree offset when approaching 20L to keep clear of the big boys landing on 20R.

I never shy away from Charlie airports or Jet Center FBO's if it is convenient vs saving a buck but I fly down there all the time and have found KFUL much easier, quicker, and cheaper than SNA depending on where your final destination is on the ground. $10 night parking and quick in and out vs FBO ramp prices at SNA. Uber is all over that area as well.

Last edited:
I’m based at SNA now. Really easy but the controllers tend to assume everyone is local. Luckily, the airport has published a super helpful guide for VFR arrivals and departures. And unlike other airports, both tower and approach actually stick to these routes.

https://www.ocair.com/generalaviation/docs/jwapilotguide.03.31.2017.pdf

ACI just took over the Atlantic FBO so there’s only one game in town for parking and fuel now. No other transient parking or self-serve fuel is available. Luckily their fuel prices are actually very good for a “big” airport and most pilots agree they are very small-GA friendly compared to the usual suspects.

If your ultimate destination is any of the beach cities SNA is the easiest option by far.

Don’t worry about the Disneyland TFR on the chart as long as you’re talking to SoCal, just fly right through it.

The only other gotcha I can think of is that the airport has recently been closed nightly from 1100 to 0615 local. Check NOTAMs.

vfr or ifr? if vfr your only real decision is how you plan to get past the mountains, through the banning pass on v16 or over some on maybe v64. pros and cons to either choice. also if vfr, for sure ff. socal will make it easy on you. it's been a bit bumpy and hazy lately, so check your airmets and mos.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

The guide that Rick182 posted above was invaluable the first time I flew up from CRQ as a brand new pilot. The other thing I found (and I can't find it now, of course) was some student's notes he/she posted online about the radio calls to depart SNA. Having only flow out of CRQ and smaller airports, I would not have known to ask to taxi to a runup area. Everywhere I had flown to that point you just do your runup at the end of the taxiway.

I would not have known to ask to taxi to a runup area. Everywhere I had flown to that point you just do your runup at the end of the taxiway.

Any where you need to transition a movement area to get to the run up area you are required to call ground for taxi clearance.

Back