KSNA C-310 Down

Discussion in 'Lessons Learned' started by Shawn, Jun 30, 2017.

1. Fearless Tower

Fearless Tower Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Fearless Tower
    There is nothing funny about it. Compare it to say a Baron fuel system and you'll understand why people refer to it as 'more complicated'....because it is. Don't confuse the term 'more 'complicated' with faulty or necessarily inferior. You are correct, once you familiarize yourself with the system, there isn't anything wrong with it. BUT you have to spend a lot more time familiarizing yourself with the system than say a Baron where you likely never touch the selectors other than to verify they are on.

old cfi and Zeldman like this.
  2. old cfi

old cfi Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Old CFI
    Well maybe where you fly but ATC appreciated the heads up. We trained in a high volume student training airport and by letting them know what was going on, they adjusted accordingly. And another thing, it wasn't simulated - the engine was feathered.

3. Ryanb

Ryanb Final Approach PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Ryan
    Just because you feathered it, doesn't make it an actual engine failure.. it's still simulated. The courteous thing to do would be to tell tower it's a simulated engine failure back to land, regardless if it's a high volume student environment or not. Maybe I'm thinking on a weird level here? Just my 2c

4. WannFly

WannFly En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    WannaFly
    In my class D , we always let ATC know simulated engine failure, emergency descent etc. It makes sense to inform the guy that it's an training exercise who is watching the radar and seeing a plane diving at 100 kts and going from 6k to 2k

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

5. Ryanb

Ryanb Final Approach PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Ryan
    Exactly. That's the way it should be done, busy airspace or not. I can't imagine an ATC facility that would "appreciate the heads up" for announcing a false engine failure when you're actually just doing a training exercise.

6. MassPilot

MassPilot Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    MassPilot
    Especially if they rolled the trucks...

Radar Contact and Ryanb like this.
  7. CT4ME

CT4ME Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    CT4ME