KSEP Stephenville, Texas, Hard Eight BBQ

RossFischer

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Flyin Fisch
If you're within a couple hours of this place it's well worth it! A very typical little Texas airport, free parking, cheap fuel, and a bigasse golf cart! You then hop in the cart an go off the paved surface (of course! :D) and through a couple twists and turns and then park her there at the National Guard parking lot. Cross the highway and you're eating the BEST BBQ in TEXAS!

I'ts pit style BBQ, get as much as you want and weigh it. You pay per Lb. You get free beans (the best I've ever had) and free beer for your non-flying friends (yes...I said that right...free beer) and Dublin Dr. Pepper. All for a very reasonable price.

Here's some pictures from the trip I took with my dad and brother.

http://gallery.mac.com/fischerfam#100004

If you're within a couple hours of this place it's well worth it! A very typical little Texas airport, free parking, cheap fuel, and a bigasse golf cart! You then hop in the cart an go off the paved surface (of course! :D) and through a couple twists and turns and then park her there at the National Guard parking lot. Cross the highway and you're eating the BEST BBQ in TEXAS!

I'ts pit style BBQ, get as much as you want and weigh it. You pay per Lb. You get free beans (the best I've ever had) and free beer for your non-flying friends (yes...I said that right...free beer) and Dublin Dr. Pepper. All for a very reasonable price.

Here's some pictures from the trip I took with my dad and brother.

http://gallery.mac.com/fischerfam#100004

When did you do this trip? I was going to fly down there this afternoon (Sunday) with a couple of people who have never got to fly in a small plane before. Beautiful, sunny, calm winds based on the flags were were passing, I call FSS... urgent PIREPS from a C172 and a Piper 10nm NW of Glen Rose VOR for moderate-severe turbulence. KSEP (with runways 14/32) reporting 260 @ 19G27, KMWL reporting essentially the same. Briefer very surprised, me too--not in the TAFs. Cancelled the trip 10 minutes from the departure airport, as the flight would not have been comfortable for them...

Free Beer? I don't remember them having free beer! Is that new?

I don't think the beer thing is new...but I'm pretty new to the Hard Eight...so..

I took the trip in October...just never got around to posting about it.

Ha! I couldn't remember if I did that over here or on the Purple Board. Either way, I really wanted this in "Cool Places to Fly". That way, when someone searches for a place to fly in Texas they'll find it. ;)

I heard they took away the golf carts at the airport. Anyone know why?

I heard they took away the golf carts at the airport. Anyone know why?
I tried the link in the OP and it failed.
Http/1.1 Service Unavailable

I thought I could stop there in October on my way to Phoenix and wanted to see if this included Beef BBQ (especially beef ribs). For the past few years, all I have been able to find in Texas was pork bbq. I haven't found a good beef bbq place since about 1980. I like the Fred Flintstone kind of ribs.

The carts can't be driven across the hwy. The normal parking spot is in the parking lot of the National Guard facility. They are currently reworking the building and parking lot. They will be back if not already. I was at SEP last Tuesday checking on my engine and did not see any carts on that day.

I tried the link in the OP and it failed.
Http/1.1 Service Unavailable

I thought I could stop there in October on my way to Phoenix and wanted to see if this included Beef BBQ (especially beef ribs). For the past few years, all I have been able to find in Texas was pork bbq. I haven't found a good beef bbq place since about 1980. I like the Fred Flintstone kind of ribs.

They have both.

Excellent BBQ. The jalapeño sausage is very good. Even if the golf carts are not available, it is a short walk.

The pork ribs are well done and lots of meat on them. Brisket is well executed. The pork chop is large enough to affect the tides.

If the short walk is not available, call the restaurant (noticed posted on door into terminal). They will send a car out to pick you up. And then ask at the register for a return ride.

Doing W&B calculations to and from KSEP is a simple task. What fuel you burned getting there will be replaced with BBQ (consumed and in a to go container) for the ride back.

They have both.
They have "both" in the sense of "beef brisket" and "pork ribs". I think John was specifically asking if they have beef ribs, and I don't remember seeing that the couple of times I visited.

Last time I had beef ribs, my mom cooked 'em at home. I don't think I've _ever_ seen beef ribs offered at a BBQ place.

My family lives in Stephenville, and I can't wait to be able to fly back here to visit. The drive though totally sux!

I'd recommend catching a Baseball game over at Tarleton as well.

Is it still the Hard Eight? Went through Brady a while back, noticed that one had changed names.

The one at SEP is still Hard 8.

---

I have not seen beef ribs at Hard 8, and they can be hard to find.

The one at SEP is still Hard 8.

---

I have not seen beef ribs at Hard 8, and they can be hard to find.

Thanks, used to ride bikes down to P.K. . We either went on to the 8 or stopped at Mary's in Strawn. Either way you got full.

They have "both" in the sense of "beef brisket" and "pork ribs". I think John was specifically asking if they have beef ribs, and I don't remember seeing that the couple of times I visited.

Last time I had beef ribs, my mom cooked 'em at home. I don't think I've _ever_ seen beef ribs offered at a BBQ place.

Sorry, misunderstood. They do not have beef ribs.

You can get beef ribs at Big Al's Smoke House on Inwood, which has the added advantage of being a frequent gathering place for aviation folks from nearby KDAL. http://bigalsbbq.com/BAMENU.pdf

In Austin, See Bert's Barbecue, at which Gary Johnson carries on the tradition of excellence his dad (oddly enough, named Bert) started; sadly, no longer at the old 19th street / MLK location, which succumbed to fire (a particular hazard for BBQ places). A quick look suggests Gary may have suspended the beef rib trade which, if true, would be a terrible tragedy, as he made a good one, well worth the pickin' and flossin' require after attacking a good beef rib meal.

Smoke at the Hotel Belmont, in Oak Cliff, is credited with a good beef rib, but I cannot attest to this personally; I will endeavor to do so, solely as a service to the community (of course).

Cooper's (Llano, New Braunfels and the new and as-yet-untested Fort Worth Stockyards location) has beef ribs, and that might be the best call of all - fly to Llano, eat some barbecue and celebrate our freedom to fly.

John Mueller Meat Company in Austin is the king of beef ribs (and brisket, and sausage, etc...)

970978_378194132285618_1962571584_n.jpg

485484_376075452497486_225071342_n.jpg

261384_344021962369502_2543291_n.jpg

John Mueller Meat Company in Austin is the king of beef ribs (and brisket, and sausage, etc...)

Alrighty, got me a new "must try"! :D

Thanks!

I am going to print this thread. Then when we fly from Florida to Phoenix, I might just let Leslie continue on to Phoenix in the 172 and I will rent a car and hit some of those places.

But I was in the Dallas Ft/Worth area a couple of years ago and nobody could tell me where to get beef ribs.

Back in college (in the mid 70's) I would drive a tractor trailer pulling a flat bed hauling heavy machinery. I was often in TX and would stop at a lot of little places off the side of the road to get my fill of Lone Star and Ribs. Back then, if I even mentioned pork ribs they laughed at me and said "your in Texas now, HERE bbq is beef". That must have changed somewhere in the past 40 years.

You are correct, when northerners, budget BBQ restaurant owners, and foreigners began trying to setup small mom & pop BBQ joints across the state... True Texas bBq slowly started to dwindle away. As time went on "affordable" BBQ joints began to dominate into what you see today.

Pork BBQ originated in states that were not as well off as Texas during the poverty years.

If you come across a Texas BBQ joint that is owned and operated from people with German roots... You have found the origin of Texas BBQ.

(Crash course briefing on BBQ history)

Sent from my iPhone using An APP that doesn't pay me to advertise for them.

Back