KSBS to Fredericksburg, Tx, T82, what route would you choose?

Jthamilton

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Okie182
So wife agreed to go and stay at Hangar Hotel for a few days in June for our 18th Anniversary. Last time we were there my son was 20 months old 10 years go. Hopefully he isn't the reason why they no longer take kids??

I'm still VFR, so IFR not an option. I'm considering flying to kremmling then through Rollins pass then heading straight south long the front range until clear of the Air Force Academy area then turn on course.

However the turbo toga gladly flies high and it's tempting to climb to 17,500, and use the oxygen if weather permitting. Fly over Dillon Lake and go direct from there. However I haven't flown much at all south of I70

It doesn't appear that the terrain is that much less forgiving then when flying out of Steamboat. My gut says head towards Rollins pass and South but I'm curious what others would do

Looks like a headache.

That's why I file, it puts most of the hard work on someone else. :rockon:

Don't even worry about the Academy. Once past Rollins, stay north of Class B then direct to Fredricksburg. The other option, if you're comfortable with it, is Kremmling then over Vail into the valley south of Leadville then direct.

Last edited:
weather permitting (clear, winds below 30) and early morning there's nothing major wrong with cranking it up to 17.5 and going direct. I've always avoided the Dillon area because that is rough terrain and there's little reason to be there (no airport). Once south of the Dillon area there are tolerable to good engine out choices.

Any kind of weather? avoid - SE of Dillon is where the texan precipitated himself, his family, and his aircraft tryiing to sneak through a pass a few years ago - there were no survivors

return trip? have to think about it pretty hard - over Dillon may be rough in the afternoon and you're gonna be in the area a while with any kind of headwind - might stay east of DEN and take CO/WY stateline route to SBS

Don't even worry about the Academy. Once past Rollins, stay north of Class B then direct to Fredricksburg. The other option, if you're comfortable with it, is Kremmling then over Vail into the valley south of Leadville then direct.

Haven't considered the Vail route. After taking quick look, that's not a bad route. Would you do Eagle to Leadville via Hagerman pass? I recall this is usual route from the Mountain flying course. We will be leaving early so hopefully that will work in our favor.

I usually go north of Bravo over the Red Feather lakes area so familiar with that. Was hoping to return home early that Sunday so we will be home by 12.

Clark, that's my exact concern, no safe options once past Dillon for a bit.

Last edited:
South from Dillon I'd probably stay within gliding distance of Highway 9 and the Blue river. At 17.5 you'll have some time to react and pick a place in the unlikely case of an engine problem. Once over the pass and into South Park life will be good again - lots of open country and generally plenty of wind.

As you noted in the first post, the ground around SBS has the same challenges. I typically accept worse exposure when going to DWX since the roads are few and far between north of Steamboat.

Anyway after ceiling, winds are probably the next biggest concern flying south past Dillon. The ridge west of Breck has the potential to generate some "interesting" turbulence and there's really nowhere to go. East is worse with Evans & Bierstadt solidly in the way. Calm, clear morning and it will be a piece of cake. Windy or humid and life will suck, maybe permanently. Sounds like the route decision time will be immediately prior to departure.

Back