KSAV Savannah, GA FBO PIREPs?

flyingcheesehead

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iMooniac
There are three - $ignature, Sheltair, and Savannah Aviation.

$ignature is automatically on the bottom of my list (unless an Atlantic location is also present on the field!), so I'm mainly wondering about the other two.

I seem to remember a story about an FBO at KSAV that was owned by a group of women in one of the various AOPA publications a few years ago - Are they still around? (Is that Savannah Aviation?) If so, I'd like to support them.

Can't recall which I went to, but they sent out a golf cart to get my stuff and failed to rape me. Nice FBO and a great place to visit.

There are three - $ignature, Sheltair, and Savannah Aviation.

$ignature is automatically on the bottom of my list (unless an Atlantic location is also present on the field!), so I'm mainly wondering about the other two.

I seem to remember a story about an FBO at KSAV that was owned by a group of women in one of the various AOPA publications a few years ago - Are they still around? (Is that Savannah Aviation?) If so, I'd like to support them.

I live a few miles from the Savannah airport and work at the Savannah airport. I have never flown my plane into the Savannah airport. I'm not sure why I would. You will pay for that privilege. I don't know if Savannah Aviation handles transient aircraft, I take it they're mostly a flight school. Most single engine piston folks that I know go with Sheltair.

For reference fuel is $3.00 per gallon cheaper at my airport, KLHW.

I just spoke with Savannah Aviation (had to call them anyway) they can't handle transient traffic. That leaves Sheltair and Signature and even I can sort that based on Signature being at the bottom of your list. KLHW is a 30 minute drive away, fuel IS $3.00 cheaper per gallon than Signature and $2.76 cheaper than Sheltair. I know the Mooney's make their own fuel, but that's $240 a tank in my rig. if our schedules line up, I can provide transportation for ya if you're cheap like me. It's not like I need much of an excuse to go the airport.

+1 for Sheltair. They treated us like high rollers even though we were flying a PA-28 140 at the time. They also got us a great rate at a local hotel.

I should add about Sheltair. We had a rental car from Avis, they called Avis and had them deliver it to Sheltair.

I used Sheltair last fall and they were great, pulled up the rental car, fuel wasn't cheap, but it never is a bigger airports, especially near the ocean.:rolleyes:

We stayed at SheltAir in Nov 2012. Nice, friendly staff, ATC and people in the area. Cookies and coffee. Fuel at 88J or LHW. Enjoyed our affordable stay at LaQuinta in Pooler.

This is what it was when I went two weekends ago....

SheltAir: $14/nt parking. $7.75 gas. No handling fee.
Signature: $6/nt parking. $6 facility fee. $20 handlign fee waived with fuel purchase. $8 gas but .50 fuel discount on weekends.

Signature was more convenient to my runway preference, so ended up there. I thought they were really friendly and they had a couple F-18s parked on the ramp which I got to watch depart. It was st. paddys day and they had beads and tee-shirts in the terminal. I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

Signature was more convenient to my runway preference, so ended up there. I thought they were really friendly and they had a couple F-18s parked on the ramp which I got to watch depart.

I agree about everyone being nice. The F-18s were definitely cool. A few of the pilots were in the Signature FBO, and they were friendly, too.

I just spoke with Savannah Aviation (had to call them anyway) they can't handle transient traffic. That leaves Sheltair and Signature and even I can sort that based on Signature being at the bottom of your list. KLHW is a 30 minute drive away, fuel IS $3.00 cheaper per gallon than Signature and $2.76 cheaper than Sheltair. I know the Mooney's make their own fuel, but that's $240 a tank in my rig. if our schedules line up, I can provide transportation for ya if you're cheap like me. It's not like I need much of an excuse to go the airport.

Hmmmm.... An interesting idea. It's clear that if I go to KSAV that Sheltair is the way to go, lots of positive comments in this thread! I don't want to make my aunt drive too far to pick me up, but I'll think about KLHW... What's up with all those R-areas just to the north, though? They're marked as SFC-29,000 and active 0600-2400 local time 7 days a week plus other times by NOTAM. True? If so, coming from the north to KLHW seems like it'd be a pain.

Hmmmm.... An interesting idea. It's clear that if I go to KSAV that Sheltair is the way to go, lots of positive comments in this thread! I don't want to make my aunt drive too far to pick me up, but I'll think about KLHW... What's up with all those R-areas just to the north, though? They're marked as SFC-29,000 and active 0600-2400 local time 7 days a week plus other times by NOTAM. True? If so, coming from the north to KLHW seems like it'd be a pain.

KLHW is joint use, it is Wright Army Airfield, they blow stuff up out there, and it's not fun if you bust the Restricted space. When the R is hot, you can hear them blowing stuff up :). They also fly the Predators out of there. Since I've been flying out of there, I've seen one Predator fly and one military plane fly (An airforce Cessna 172). Savannah Approach can tell you if the R is hot, I'm a weekend warrior and recently it hasn't been hot much (I recall one day in the past several weekends). We do have automated weather, but unless you have ForeFlight and cellular coverage (or maybe XM) there's no way to get it if the tower is closed (and it usually is unless the Restricted Areas are hot) If you ask Savannah approach nicely they'll sometimes give you the weather. The winds are usually different than what KSAV is reporting.

KLHW is an extremely nice airport, The airport manager is a pilot and the type of guy anyone would want to know. I prefer to make the drive and spend my money there.

I'm sure KSAV is much more convenient for you, and I'm sure you'll get the spa treatment with Sheltair. I just don't have it in me to pay $3.00/gal more for fuel.

KLHW is joint use, it is Wright Army Airfield, they blow stuff up out there, and it's not fun if you bust the Restricted space. When the R is hot, you can hear them blowing stuff up :). They also fly the Predators out of there. Since I've been flying out of there, I've seen one Predator fly and one military plane fly (An airforce Cessna 172). Savannah Approach can tell you if the R is hot, I'm a weekend warrior and recently it hasn't been hot much (I recall one day in the past several weekends). We do have automated weather, but unless you have ForeFlight and cellular coverage (or maybe XM) there's no way to get it if the tower is closed (and it usually is unless the Restricted Areas are hot) If you ask Savannah approach nicely they'll sometimes give you the weather. The winds are usually different than what KSAV is reporting.

KLHW is an extremely nice airport, The airport manager is a pilot and the type of guy anyone would want to know. I prefer to make the drive and spend my money there.

I'm sure KSAV is much more convenient for you, and I'm sure you'll get the spa treatment with Sheltair. I just don't have it in me to pay $3.00/gal more for fuel.

I flew into there once to meet a buddy of mine at Ft Stewart. We almost flew into Claxton until I found out it was dual use. Great little airport.

I flew into there once to meet a buddy of mine at Ft Stewart. We almost flew into Claxton until I found out it was dual use. Great little airport.

Should note. There's no military BS to deal with. Just before you get to the military checkpoint, you veer right and turn into the airport parking lot. I've been into some joint use places that required the full military treatment to enter/exit, this isn't one. No need to clear your warrants before you come :D

Should note. There's no military BS to deal with. Just before you get to the military checkpoint, you veer right and turn into the airport parking lot. I've been into some joint use places that required the full military treatment to enter/exit, this isn't one. No need to clear your warrants before you come :D

good to know. I came on a Saturday, so the tower was shut down. The FBO really puts mine to shame.

Yeah, I looked and it'll be double the drive time to destination. So, Sheltair at KSAV it is! Thanks for the info, though.

I guess I'll just have to find some cheap fuel elsewhere and skip the blue juice at KSAV.

Yeah, I looked and it'll be double the drive time to destination. So, Sheltair at KSAV it is! Thanks for the info, though.

I guess I'll just have to find some cheap fuel elsewhere and skip the blue juice at KSAV.

$4.99 at LHW, about the best price I've seen around these parts.

Have fun while you're in town and be mindful of the deceased when you land.

I've always liked Signature. But we have a national contract so the gas is below retail and they waive our ramp fee.

I absolutely understand not wanting to go there without those benefits.

9ynabyru.jpg

$4.99 at LHW, about the best price I've seen around these parts.

Stopped at KDVK on the way to KSAV last night for some $4.99 fuel. Will stop at one of the sub-$5 places in FL tomorrow. :)

:confused: I don't get it. :dunno:

Back