KSAT vs KSKF

dans2992

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Dans2992
Coming in a Comanche single. Both same distance from my final destination. KSKF _seems_ to have much cheaper fuel.

Any reason to prefer one vs the other?

KSKF seems to be pseudo-military, but Atlantic is on field. $25 landing fee and $4 avgas seems better than $7 avgas at KSAT.

Dan

Kelly? It's joint military/public airport. If i recall correctly, special procedures apply & you need to call the airport manager.

Why not use KSSF (Stinson) instead? Great little airport, GA only, and self-serve fuel that beats KSAT by a mile. South side of town, but you should be able to get a rental car or taxi pretty easily.

Yeah, I'm not sure you can get into Kelly unless you have business there. I guess you can call the FBO and ask them.

Stinson (SSF), New Braunfels (BAZ), Boerne Stage (5C1), and Castroville (CVB) are all viable alternatives, depending on your final destination. Where are you going?

Just for my own learning, I decided to look at KSKF. AirNav has it listed as a public use airport toward the top of the page, but all the way at the bottom under the remarks it says " FLT PLAN RQRD FOR ALL CIVILIAN FLTS OPERATING INTO/OUT OF KELLY FIELD."

The A/FD lists it as CIV/MIL at the top, and the same info about a flight plan being required in the remarks. http://aeronav.faa.gov/afd/22jun2017/sc_377_22JUN2017.pdf.

Is there anything on the sectional that indicates the airport has restrictions for civilian use? I guess this falls under that FAR that the pilot needs to be aware of everything pertaining to there flight.

I called Atlantic there and they didn't indicate anything special other that a $25 landing fee (I told them piston single), so that's why I'm a bit confused.

SSF looks like it closes up at 7pm per ForeFlight. I'll have to call them.

I called Atlantic there and they didn't indicate anything special other that a $25 landing fee (I told them piston single), so that's why I'm a bit confused.

SSF looks like it closes up at 7pm per ForeFlight. I'll have to call them.

That's interesting; did not know that. But I'm local and have no need to go there. I guess you have to do the tradeoff of landing fee and cheap fuel vs tie down fees and more expensive fuel at SAT. Note 1500' traffic pattern. F-16s and C-5s and occasional KC-10 and 135.

Stinson tower closes at 10pm local. Field does not close. Don't know about the FBOs.

If you are renting a car, definitely easier to get out of and back into SKF than deal with the ground madness at SAT.

KSSF is way preferable to KSAT.
Great food both on-field and nearby.
And, timewise just as close to the Riverwalk.

KSSF is way preferable to KSAT.
Great food both on-field and nearby.
And, timewise just as close to the Riverwalk.
I will second the motion on Stinson Field. Great FBO, great museum on the field (their hours are sporadic, so call ahead), food options near and far. Whenever we've flown in, the sleepy old tower has cleared us to land 10 miles out.

Summon an Uber from your cell phone and you'll be at the historic Menger Hotel, right next to the Alamo and Riverwalk, in minutes. We do this several times each year and it is a fantastic getaway.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

I will 3rd the motion on Stinson;)

Been there many times, and the staff is the best (equal to Fullerton KFUL or better).

1. They've always come out to me during shutdown with cold water.
2. Have had them arrange hotel and car reservations that were MUCH cheaper than I could get online
3. They once put the Tiger in a hangar at "No charge" as they were nervous about a storm in the area

Great bunch ... best place to stop

I like Stinson but if you're bringing a significant other plan on not having a restroom or other services available if you leave late in the evening. Other than that it's a great airport to use when flying into San Antonio.
Gary

I like Stinson but if you're bringing a significant other plan on not having a restroom or other services available if you leave late in the evening. Other than that it's a great airport to use when flying into San Antonio.
Gary
There used to be one, but it was a bit gnarly. You might ask the FBO.

I ended up at KSKF, which was actually good because I got delayed on departure and didn't arrive until 9pm local.

Also, can't beat $4.00 SS 100LL at a major metro airport.

Back