KRGK Oddity

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
KRGK is Red Wing Regional Airport.

It's the Red Wing, Minnesota airport, as shown on the approach plates.

upload_2016-6-15_14-8-19.png

However, this "Minnesota" airport is actually across the river from the town... the airport itself is in Wisconsin.

upload_2016-6-15_13-59-31.png

So if you're flying with an EFB, and have Minnesota plates being downloaded, but not Wisconsin, I wonder if you'd have the charts you need? I tested ForeFlight... I have neither Wisconsin nor Minnesota in my regular downloads, but planned a flight from my Texas airport to KRGK... then used the Pack feature and went into airplane mode to ensure I wasn't downloading data off the web. It handled this situation just fine... all plates and airport information were there.

Seems like someone had a problem in that area once for landing on ice or in a field that happened to be on an indian reservation

The town of Red Wing is in MN. The airport is 3NM north in Pierce county WI. KRGK website says that airport is located in WI....

Guess for all purposes the maps and plates come from MN section.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Is this the town the shoes/boots are made in? Any correlation to that company?

It is. There is a plant in town...

Regarding the airport, it gets more tricky than just the approach plates. Despite being in WI the Minneapolis FSDO covers it. I think I had to call three different FSDOs trying to figure out who could issue me a ferry permit to get an airplane out of there.

I'd bet the approach plates are in the Minnesota download though.

Meh. Good luck finding the Cincinnati International airport (CVG) in Ohio. (It's in Kentucky.)

Meh. Good luck finding the Cincinnati International airport (CVG) in Ohio. (It's in Kentucky.)

There's a difference there though. The approach plate clearly displays that the airport is in Covington, KY, not Cincinnati, OH. The Red Wing charts all say Red Wing, MN despite the fact that the airport is actually on the other side of the river in Wisconsin.

There's a difference there though. The approach plate clearly displays that the airport is in Covington, KY, not Cincinnati, OH. The Red Wing charts all say Red Wing, MN despite the fact that the airport is actually on the other side of the river in Wisconsin.

My Jepp charts for KCVG state "Cincinnati, Ohio"

My guess is the charts are gonna come from whatever state is listed on the chart.

Flew into Red Wing once to check out a project I was bidding; an O'Reilly (of course) in River Falls. I was mad that it was in WI because at that time I hadn't added MN to my "states list" yet.

St. Joseph, MO (KSTJ) is similar. The charts, plates, etc., say St. Joseph MO but it's across the river in Nebraska.

As an aside, Red Wing is listed in the MN A/FD and St. Joe in the MO A/FD even thought they're physically not. Neither is listed in the A/FD of their actual state.

There's a difference there though. The approach plate clearly displays that the airport is in Covington, KY, not Cincinnati, OH.

And, it's in the Kentucky A/FD...not Ohio's.

Last edited:
My Jepp charts for KCVG state "Cincinnati, Ohio"

Years ago I was on a flight that got diverted to CVG. A woman in the seat next to me is going "Ohio? I don't want to be in Ohio." I had to point out additional bad news to her, that we weren't even in Ohio.

Does it really matter? If you're flying close to a boundary, don't you keep neighboring charts and procedures in case of diversion?

Personally, I keep both sets of CA procedures because I fly across the dividing line all the time.

Back