KPSX (Palacios, TX) PIREPS?

robin ardoin

Line Up and Wait
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Robard
Considering KPSX for a lunch trip Friday with my father. Any reports on the airfield fuel services and possible courtesy car or Uber to get to town for lunch? An alternate would be KGLS and Gaido’s or a boardwalk joint.

Last edited:
I'm a local (well, Houston area, so not PSX local...maybe "regional"), so I can offer some info. Not sure where you're coming from, but if you're considering those two locations I'd suggest you consider a third: KLBX Angleton/Lake Jackson, and the Runway Cafe that's on-field there. (Call and make sure they're still open; I haven't been there in a little while.) You can taxi right up to and park at the restaurant, and if you want to top off, the SS fuel on the field is consistently some of the cheapest in the region. The restaurant is casual and mostly fried seafood, which is reliably tasty if not exciting.

I have not been to PSX in years, though it was my solo cross-country destination during my primary instruction and I landed there several times during my training and shortly afterward. Back then, on-field services and FBO support were...sparse. Looking at the Airnav page, it doesn't look like that's changed any. SS fuel, and no reviews or FBO website listed. Used to be, you could call a nearby restaurant and they'd come pick you up, but I haven't tried that in a long time and don't know if they still do that, or if the restaurant's even still around...I can't remember its name. Looking at Google Maps, I think it was where Danny's Seafood House is now, though I don't think that's what it was called when I went there.

KGLS is an okay choice, but unless things have changed there's no crew car available. Taxis/Ubers are, though. You can also walk a short distance to Moody Gardens, which has a steakhouse (only open for dinner and requires reservations) and a more casual sit-down option (walk-in for lunch or dinner is no problem). Just don't expect to be blown away by the casual option. It's got a different name than the last time I ate there so maybe it's better now, but historically it's been very mediocre. An Uber can take you anywhere in town, and there are plenty of good places to pick from using your favorite "find-me-food" app (Yelp, Tripadvisor, etc., or just Google "best restaurants in Galveston"). I usually avoid the Boardwalk area (overpriced and crowded) and Gaido's is kind of "your dad's seafood restaurant" but still very popular, so if that's your thing go for it, but I'd probably pick Casey's next door over Gaido's, and really I'd pick somewhere else on the island besides either. If you're really hankering to eat on the Seawall, I'd go to Miller's or The Spot, but I'd personally choose somewhere like Little Daddy's Gumbo Bar, Mosquito Cafe, or Shrimp'n'Stuff (in decreasing order of "fancy" / price), or at least a half-dozen other places more off the beaten track.

Last edited:
I'm a local (well, Houston area, so not PSX local...maybe "regional"), so I can offer some info. Not sure where you're coming from, but if you're considering those two locations I'd suggest you consider a third: KLBX Angleton/Lake Jackson, and the Runway Cafe that's on-field there. (Call and make sure they're still open;
Runway Cafe is still open and as busy as ever, if not more so.

PSX is less than sparse today. RKP is my preferred destination in that area. 3x mice courtesy cars, great FBO, all the services you want. Short drive from the airport is Moondog’s which has true on the water dining and good food.

After that it’s a toss up between RAS where you can wall a block and catch the public shuttle into Port Aransas and lots of other food choices. That airport has limited parking spots; bring your own tie downs.

CRP is has Atlantic with courtesy car and King’s Seafood is nearby or head over to Shoreline Drive for more upscale food and the T heads, but no real waterfront dining options.

GLS is a good option as well but one courtesy car though there is uber/lyft. There was ramp construction a couple months ago and that cut into GA parking although there was two rows open then.

Last edited:
RKP is my preferred destination in that area. 3x mice courtesy cars, great FBO, all the services you want. Short drive from the airport is Moondog’s which has true on the water dining and good food.
I agree Rockport has a nice airport, great cars, and is one of my favorite quick destinations. Not a big fan of Moondog's anymore though. If you haven't tried it, the locals recommended Paradise Key.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm based out of KIYA (Abbeville, LA). We've been to Runway Cafe at KLBX but drove in from a rifle match a few miles up the road near Rosharon. It was a good experience but we will be flying there a bit over the next couple of years for matches I suspect. My 85 year old father has not been in a GA plane in 50+ years but has a couple of thousand hours in a J3, Tripacer, 182, Apache and Navajo. I asked if he would want to fly to lunch this Friday for a Father's day treat and he jumped on it like a fly on a turd. I was planning on going east toward Destin or Orange beach but the convective gods laughed a little when I told them of my plan. West appears best at the moment and I thought I would make it a long day so Rockport looks like my best option for services and good seafood. I've been to Scholes and it would be one option. I mentioned Guido's only because it was a lunch spot when I was 'drug along' to dog shows in my childhood and has some sentimental value, but last time I went there a few years back I was not as impressed as I recall as a child. LOL. I was considering KRKP but was not sure how much time my CFI had available tomorrow. Turns out he booked out the entire day so I'll make sure he gets his hours in ;).

I did PSX a few years ago. Read the chart supp, one runway is ok, others are poor. Expect weeds obscuring the taxi signs. Call the police and they will give you a lockbox combo to get the car keys. It’s a beater, old cruiser. Palacios is a huge shrimping port so get some fresh shrimp to go in the cooler you didn’t forget. Bring your own tie downs, the provided ones are crap.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm based out of KIYA (Abbeville, LA). We've been to Runway Cafe at KLBX but drove in from a rifle match a few miles up the road near Rosharon. It was a good experience but we will be flying there a bit over the next couple of years for matches I suspect. My 85 year old father has not been in a GA plane in 50+ years but has a couple of thousand hours in a J3, Tripacer, 182, Apache and Navajo. I asked if he would want to fly to lunch this Friday for a Father's day treat and he jumped on it like a fly on a turd. I was planning on going east toward Destin or Orange beach but the convective gods laughed a little when I told them of my plan. West appears best at the moment and I thought I would make it a long day so Rockport looks like my best option for services and good seafood.
Let us know how it goes! We go to a lot of places in Texas. Conroe would be shorter for you, but that's not your goal this time. It's my favorite fly-in restaurant right now. I've also heard good things about Gate 12 in College Station, but I haven't been there yet.

I want to head East. I can't wait to get back to Natchitoches, LA for what I call Cajun food. I've been told it's too far North to really be Cajun! I'll still enjoy the food at Mama's and get a meat pie or two for the road on the way out of town!

@Lowflynjack If you really want a cajun food fly-in experience may I suggest DIS CAJUN (DI's cajun food just SW of 4R7). THey have a 2900' well maintained grass strip and you can taxi right up to the restaurant.

CLL Gate 12 Bar and Grill is good. Ask to sit by the windows. Astin Aviation will park you north of FBO.

Decided to go to KCLL today due to tighter time constraints than expected. Had lunch at Gate 12 restaurant. I must say the food was excellent and that is a huge compliment coming from me. Sat right up against the ramp and was entertained by flight school 172’s in a 11-17kt crosswind as well as T-6 II’s doing touch and goes and a couple in formation. Houston approach must had fresh donuts delivered as they were as pleasant as I have ever experienced. In spite of it being hot as hell we were IFR above a layer of cumulus all day in smooth air and never had to ask for a deviation once for buildups. Really unusual for the gulf coast in June. My father really enjoyed being back in the air again. At 85 years of age with bad knees I don’t know how much longer he will be able to climb into small airplanes but for today, he is one contented man. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm based out of KIYA (Abbeville, LA). We've been to Runway Cafe at KLBX but drove in from a rifle match a few miles up the road near Rosharon. It was a good experience but we will be flying there a bit over the next couple of years for matches I suspect. My 85 year old father has not been in a GA plane in 50+ years but has a couple of thousand hours in a J3, Tripacer, 182, Apache and Navajo. I asked if he would want to fly to lunch this Friday for a Father's day treat and he jumped on it like a fly on a turd. I was planning on going east toward Destin or Orange beach but the convective gods laughed a little when I told them of my plan. West appears best at the moment and I thought I would make it a long day so Rockport looks like my best option for services and good seafood. I've been to Scholes and it would be one option. I mentioned Guido's only because it was a lunch spot when I was 'drug along' to dog shows in my childhood and has some sentimental value, but last time I went there a few years back I was not as impressed as I recall as a child. LOL. I was considering KRKP but was not sure how much time my CFI had available tomorrow. Turns out he booked out the entire day so I'll make sure he gets his hours in ;).

Give the Black Walnut Cafe at CXO (Conroe) a try. Very nice FBO at Galaxy and the restaurant is on the 3rd floor of the building. It's the same 1.5 hours as LBX and great food.

A friend who flies in to Conroe when he goes to Houston likes to eat there. Definitely a little finer dining than the Runway Cafe. I'm sure I'll hit it before long.

Back