kpf4ss.exe

etsisk

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
iYiYi
what IS this thing? I googled it and some say it's necessary for kerio to work, some say it's a virus - I don't know what it is, but it sure can suck up ALL (as in 97%) of my processor function... :mad:

Anyone have any ideas? (BESIDES "get a mac", I mean! :rolleyes:)

:)

If it's Kerio's, Find out why it's consuming all the resources. Hack attempt? Trojan? Is there an activity log?

What's the full path?

here is one explanation at
http://www.file.net/process/kpf4ss.exe.html

kpf4ss.exe file information

The process Kerio Personal Firewall 4 - Service or Sunbelt Kerio Personal Firewall 4 - Service or Sunbelt Kerio Firewall Service or Sunbelt Firewall Service belongs to the software Kerio Personal Firewall or Sunbelt Kerio Personal Firewall or Sunbelt Personal Firewall by Kerio Technologies (www.kerio.com) or Sunbelt Software.
Description: kpf4ss.exe is located in a subfolder of "C:\Program Files" - typically C:\Program Files\Kerio\Personal Firewall 4\. Known file sizes on Windows XP are 1,617,920 bytes (31% of all occurrence), 1,368,064 bytes, 1,234,480 bytes, 1,941,504 bytes, 1,630,208 bytes, 1,205,784 bytes, 1,167,360 bytes, 1,912,832 bytes, 1,222,192 bytes.
The program is not visible. Program listens for or sends data on open ports to LAN or Internet. It is not a Windows system file. The application can be uninstalled in the Control Panel. kpf4ss.exe is able to hide itself. Therefore the technical security rating is 41% dangerous, however also read the users reviews.

looks like a firewall program....did you install kerio recently?

And beware, there are a couple of rogue trojans/viruses that name themselves either random names or the names of program files in the computer.

Thanks for the help, y'all!! :)

I use the kerio firewall, but hell, I'm sure up for changing if that'll get rid of this darn thing.

activity log? whazzat? :confused:

Y'all gotta remember that I'm so luddite, I complain because a sandstone cave is composite. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I'm not terribly familiar with Kerios, but most software firewalls keep logs of their activity (things they blocked, things they allowed, etc.). When a firewall starts eating huge amounts of resources, sometimes that indicates some sort of activity that the firewall believes is malicious, and is working overtime attempting to block.

It's a possibility, not a certainty. But it's something that raises a tech's eyebrow.

-Rich

Also, is the file where it's supposed to be (in the program's directory), or someplace else?

Back