KPAO PIREP

FPK1

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
FPK1
Anyone frequent Palo Alto airport that could give me a PIREP?

I'm headed there in a couple weeks and will be approaching from the south/southeast at about 2:00 p.m. Best I can tell, about that time I can expect runway 31. I will be on flight following.

I was thinking about crossing directly over E16 then direct to PAO. That puts me slightly to the west of San Jose International, then cross mid-field over Moffitt Federal Airfield for straight into 31...

Thoughts or recommendations?

Talk to approach coming from the south. They‘ll hold your hand. know where the Amphitheatre just NW of Moffett is as it will likely be referenced.

You‘ll get more or less what you guessed save for the bit about right over Moffet - generally you’ll be west and south of that field.

A functional and competent thicket of aircraft. I've been like tenth to arrive and they handled it all like clockwork. Those controllers are saints.

I'd spend some time with the taxiway diagram and understand where your intended transient parking is. The ground clutter matches the air clutter :)

You can guess the gate code from the wear on the numerals. :)

Flying overhead E16 creates a likelihood of conflicts with airliners on final for SJC. If you're coming from the southeast, Norcal Approach will probably want you to overfly RHV and SJC, and then they will hand you off to Moffett Tower for the transition to PAO. Between SJC and PAO, it helps to know where Highway 101 is. (It's also referred to as the Bayshore Freeway once you get up that far.)

Last edited:
Norcal will take good care of you on flt following, but most likely and easiest scenario will be to stay west of the 101 hwy and SJC final approach path (just E. of Mt Umunhum). Getting through Moffett is no problem, but you probably won't get midfield, you'll stay south and west of their runways and maybe a 1500' altitude restriction. Norcal might setup the transition or you'll switch over to NUQ tower 119.55 before PAO tower. On your way out, expect taxi to runup area and contact ground on runup complete. KPAO controllers are really professional!

Make yourself familiar with local VFR reporting points, shown on the TAC.

Just north of E16, south of RHV, watch out for southbound traffic coming over the hills. E16 and surrounding area east of Hwy 101 is a practice area for flight schools at RHV. While outside of SFO Bravo and SJC Charlie, it is busy airspace, with SJC traffic above, and VFR traffic sandwiched between the 101 and the ridges to the east.

I've never intentionally gone to PAO from the southeast but have overflown it from E16 many, many times as a trafficwatch pilot back in the day.

From E16, I would stay east of San Jose's arrival corridor (and the class C) by overflying Reid-Hillview (RHV). Before arriving at that point, since you're on flight following, I would ask NORCAL to allow me to follow highway 101 (AKA the Bayshore) to PAO. 101 is the highway that splits off to the west side of the bay and runs past SJC, NUQ, and PAO. It is clearly depicted on the San Francisco TAC. Be prepared to be handed off to SJC, NUQ and PAO. You may be directed to cross over SJC mid-field and re-join 101 on the west side.

When I did it, I would be at 1500. I would not expect NORCAL to allow you to fly E16 direct PAO as @Palmpilot said, your track will conflict with SJC arrivals.

Have your TAC ready as reference while flying. Also, as others have said, have the PAO airport diagram ready once you've landed. And look it over and get familiar before you go. Ground ops at PAO are more complex than many Charlie airports and rival Bravo airports. Note the south end parking is in between hanger on the west and the terminal on the east. Be aware that you may be directed to taxi on "hanger" side vs. "terminal" side. You will be directed to taxi to the ramp area via Y1, Y2, or Y3. Most likely Y1. From there be ready to copy (actually write it down) taxi directions.

Departing.... note runup area is pretty much on Y near rw31. Look for Ts for positioning. From there, it's Yankee-Yankee1-Zulu hold short 31. Hold short will be right there and well before entering 31. Be careful.

Possibly lots of planes in the pattern so expect to be number 2 or 3.

I always tell people PAO, for a small airport will give you a big airport experience on the ground.

Have fun!

Thanks for all the comments and advice here. The roundtrip from SoCal to PAO went well. I was on flight following and as I approached I stayed west of the San Jose approach path and was handed off to Moffett tower and then PAO for straight in 31.

There is a significant bump on the runway (think speed bump) I'd say just past half way and I was slow enough that it didn't affect me.

Have a taxi diagram, which was recommended and I certainly had my EFB and paper, know where you're going, plenty of transient parking between T and U. Pay for parking via the posted signage with the app indicated.

I immediately called Rossi for the fuel truck who quickly responded and topped me off in my presence.

There is a terminal building with a bathroom and 24/7 access to the airport via posted gate codes as you exit. I didn't use any kind of typical FBO services like a lounge, restroom, water, Wi-Fi, etc. If you have people meeting you there they should probably meet at the terminal.

On the return flight I departed runway 13 and forgot about the speed bump. So went airborne prematurely. I quickly transitioned to a soft field takeoff, basically staying in ground effect until I was ready to climb.

Again, I was on flight following that I started on the ground and the tower cleared me into Moffett airspace and then handed me over to NorCal. I was advised to stay out of the class Bravo and also to stay out of the class Charlie.

I climbed and remained under class Charlie and under clouds, as it was a very cloudy day, broken with bottoms at about 2500 ft. I was soon approved into the class Charlie and quickly spotted an opening in the clouds and climbed to 7500. I was soon VFR on top for about 50 mi.

Again, thanks for all the comments and advice here!
d87b7484080c38d5db911397d2b56373.jpg
a7f9cd77ede1fbb6467b9867be788854.jpg
7abe360df2ee93a03dd29137246a0a93.jpg

Transient parking can be a biatch. It is a very busy little airport. I had to wait 30 minutes for a space to open.

Thanks for all the comments and advice here. The roundtrip from SoCal to PAO went well. I was on flight following and as I approached I stayed west of the San Jose approach path and was handed off to Moffett tower and then PAO for straight in 31.

There is a significant bump on the runway (think speed bump) I'd say just past half way and I was slow enough that it didn't affect me.

Have a taxi diagram, which was recommended and I certainly had my EFB and paper, know where you're going, plenty of transient parking between T and U. Pay for parking via the posted signage with the app indicated.

I immediately called Rossi for the fuel truck who quickly responded and topped me off in my presence.

There is a terminal building with a bathroom and 24/7 access to the airport via posted gate codes as you exit. I didn't use any kind of typical FBO services like a lounge, restroom, water, Wi-Fi, etc. If you have people meeting you there they should probably meet at the terminal.

On the return flight I departed runway 13 and forgot about the speed bump. So went airborne prematurely. I quickly transitioned to a soft field takeoff, basically staying in ground effect until I was ready to climb.

Again, I was on flight following that I started on the ground and the tower cleared me into Moffett airspace and then handed me over to NorCal. I was advised to stay out of the class Bravo and also to stay out of the class Charlie.

I climbed and remained under class Charlie and under clouds, as it was a very cloudy day, broken with bottoms at about 2500 ft. I was soon approved into the class Charlie and quickly spotted an opening in the clouds and climbed to 7500. I was soon VFR on top for about 50 mi.

Again, thanks for all the comments and advice here!
d87b7484080c38d5db911397d2b56373.jpg
a7f9cd77ede1fbb6467b9867be788854.jpg
7abe360df2ee93a03dd29137246a0a93.jpg
I've never even noticed a bump on the runway. :dunno:

Back