KOSH closed?

F-16 into the grass at Oshkosh !

I don't know the details but can see on the Oshkosh webcam an F-16 or F-18 with a collapsed nose gear on the grass next to the runway. Must have just happened. If anybody has more info please post...

No major damage visible..

Last edited:
Re: F-16 into the grass at Oshkosh !

I don't know the details but can see on the Oshkosh webcam an F-16 or F-18 with a collapsed nose gear on the grass next to the runway. Must have just happened. If anybody has more info please post...

Somebody already started a thread about this.

Alabama F-16C ran off of 36. Initial reports are that the pilot climbed out. 9/27 is operational again. There are pics on twitter under #osh11.

Here:

x2_76ab35a

x2_76a9c2a

A little polish, it'll buff right out.

Ouch. I'm guessing if they've got the runway back open they didn't fire the hydrazine?

That's a paddlin'.

Re: F-16 into the grass at Oshkosh !

Somebody already started a thread about this.

In fairness, not everyone reads the sub forums where the other thread is located. Interesting though.

I got to see a Blue Angels A4 run off the runway on landing at an air show once. No broken nose gear though.

USAF Col. Miller flew the F-4 to OSH last year, stayed in the same house as our group. He told us about all the hoop-jumping and waivers that are required to fly some of the military jets to OSH, due to lack of restraining devices installed at the field. This incident probably won't help that approval process.

I thought these guys were the "best of the best of the best sir!" ? Why do they need restraining devices on an 8,000' deck?

USAF Col. Miller flew the F-4 to OSH last year, stayed in the same house as our group. He told us about all the hoop-jumping and waivers that are required to fly some of the military jets to OSH, due to lack of restraining devices installed at the field. This incident probably won't help that approval process.

They've got their new tower, maybe now OSH will get a shiny new BAK-12.

I thought these guys were the "best of the best of the best sir!" ? Why do they need restraining devices on an 8,000' deck?

cause the parts are still built by the lowest bidder...

I guess his/her ego was writing checks his body couldn't cash... ;)

In all seriousness though incidents can and do happen to the "best", glad they were OK.

Rumor is brake failure. Not sure why everyone is suddenly faulting the pilot with absolutely no information on the incident.

Spike, Tommy and I landed in his bo while they were down to one runway. There was a huge mess of aircraft holding at the lake by Fisk for an extended period of time. Somehow we got lucky and slid right in, although there was some dope in a Debonair whom thought he should fly above us, then next to us, constantly moving around us. Never any indiciation he actually saw us.

Lets hope he didn't FOD the engine with the brown stuff on the seat.

...some dope in a Debonair whom thought he should fly above us, then next to us, constantly moving around us. Never any indiciation he actually saw us.
Given the lack of voice comms from the pilots or that rocking the wings would be in response to OSH tower, what would an air to air an indication look like? And how would you acknowledge that indication?

Over the years I had heard several first hand accounts of pilots even in similar types having difficulty staying in trail due to ill timed speed control.

Last edited:
Y'know, it's funny, but you can tell when someone sees you by how they act, where they go. Unless (one supposes) he actually chose to fly immediately in front of and above us, where he absolutely, positively could not have a hope of seeing us.

End of the day, no harm, no foul... Fun show!

Below is a video of the f-16 riding a wheelie with the afterburner on for the crowd. Clearly, the pilot was hotdoggin and ran out of runway. OSH got the better of him or her. Lots of paperwork, and a career ending move IMHO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SS8xFBgfp-Q

Brakes would have worked just fine. :wink2:

Last edited:
Here is a photo sequence of the -16 upholding the "Lawn Dart" moniker.

http://www.wpix.com/news/nationworld/witi-20110728-eaa-f16-incident,0,5934051.photogallery

Toward the end the FJ-1 is in frame, with basically no damage. A study in Navy vs. AF / old vs. new aircraft design technology...;)

We had a tow bar hooked up and were in the process of approaching with a tug to drag the FJ off when the left main thermal relief plug blew, deflating the tire. A replacement wheel assembly was flown in overnight and it flew home on Friday. The F-16...well, it exited unceremoniously half resting on a flatbed trailer.

Below is a video of the f-16 riding a wheelie with the afterburner on for the crowd. Clearly, the pilot was hotdoggin and ran out of runway. OSH got the better of him or her. Lots of paperwork, and a career ending move IMHO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SS8xFBgfp-Q

Brakes would have worked just fine. :wink2:

I watched that vid several times and didn't see an afterburner. What timeframe on the video was the A/B visible?

I watched that vid several times and didn't see an afterburner. What timeframe on the video was the A/B visible?

You won't see it.

The first words out of the pilot's mouth once he was out of the cockpit were to the effect "It wouldn't slow down!" as related to the WB line crew lead (a former Navy Skyraider pilot in 'Nam) who was nearest to the aircraft once it stopped.

Last edited:
Lets hope he didn't FOD the engine with the brown stuff on the seat.

Not that it matters. In the slideshow link you can see dirt coming out the tailpipe when the intake starts digging in. I'd say whatever FOD the pilot added on his own wasn't going to make a big difference.

$16 million dollar vacuum cleaner, as one retired AF Master Sgt friend said... she's funny.

Back