KOSH - Can We Arrive Early & Alone?

OtisAir

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
OtisAir
As I've said earlier, I've been to Oshkosh one time in a row and am a bit unsure of when we're "allowed" in. I know there are mass arrivals planned over the weekend with the show starting on Monday.

My question is, can I arrive on the weekend too? We're going to have to leave KOSH earlier this year (on Friday) to return to Philly for a wedding, so we had hoped to arrive earlier so we could maybe see some of the stuff we never got a chance to last year. I realize that many (all) of the booths won't be open early in the weekend, but I'm sure there will be plenty to look at all the same; besides, we're bring a cooler and a milk jug fulla beer.

I didn't see anything specific about singleton :blueplane:arrivals into OSH over the weekend and didn't want to get in the way if it's closed except for PPR's.

Thanks!

I did both my Private, and Instrument at OSH, and some folks start to tricke in starting about a week before the show ppens. I am not sure on camping etc, but a good flow of arrivals usually starts friday before the show opens.

Yes, people start trickling in the week before. I'm greeting aircraft on July 25 and 26 this year. (Sat and Sun). I know they were looking for people as early as Thursday to park planes.

I did both my Private, and Instrument at OSH, and some folks start to tricke in starting about a week before the show ppens. I am not sure on camping etc, but a good flow of arrivals usually starts friday before the show opens.

I did my private and instrument in OSH too! When/where were you?

Yes, you can arrive at anytime before the evening curfew. Lots of people arrive on the weekend....

Felix

I did my private and instrument in OSH too! When/where were you?

I did my private with Jean Coombs in a Cherokee 140 N4494J way back from '94 to '96 (was in college so I only flew in the summers). Got my IFR with Steve Davis in his Sundowner back in '05.

Enjoy Oshkosh!

Mass arrivals are scheduled and do not take overly long. You may come in before the mass arrivals or after. If you are arriving at a time that conflicts with a mass arrival, you can stop outside of OSH or circle the lake.

TeenDoc (Gil) should be able to help you out more.

Yes, you can arrive at anytime before the evening curfew. Lots of people arrive on the weekend....

Felix

I know of campers who drive in 3 weeks ahead of time, leave their campers there and have someone pick them up in a plane and go home for a week. They fly in and out for 2 weeks before the show.

Check the EAA page but I think that the campground opens at least a week before the show.

Volenteer to help and you certianly are allowed to show up early.

We've flown in both the Friday and Saturday before with no significant problem.

I didn't see anything specific about singleton :blueplane:arrivals into OSH over the weekend and didn't want to get in the way if it's closed except for PPR's.

Do you have the NOTAM?

Right on page 1: "Special Flight Procedures effective 6 AM CDT July 24 to Noon CDT August 3, 2009"

So, if you arrive before 6 AM local on July 24th, it's simply a class D towered airport. If you arrive after that, you follow the arrival procedure. The field is never "closed except for PPR's," it's just closed overnight (8 PM - 6 AM local IIRC) during the effective period of the NOTAM.

Enjoy the show, hope to see you there!

Thanks Ya'll for the assistance with the can-we-do-it question.

We're flying in on Saturday then and will ask Ground Control to taxi over to the North camping area abeam the numbers on Runway 09. If ya'll get there early, and I ain't drank it yet, I'll offer you a beer. We'll be in the Viking Witch so stop on by. I won't be like Clark Griswald's Brother-in-law and give you my 4/5's empy one either.

We wanna watch some of the mass arrivals and take some photo's of ya'll landing. I'll post them to Airport Data dot Com when we get home.

See ya'll in a minute (at Osh).

We're flying in on Saturday then and will ask Ground Control to taxi over to the North camping area abeam the numbers on Runway 09. If ya'll get there early, and I ain't drank it yet, I'll offer you a beer. We'll be in the Viking Witch so stop on by. I won't be like Clark Griswald's Brother-in-law and give you my 4/5's empy one either.

We wanna watch some of the mass arrivals and take some photo's of ya'll landing. I'll post them to Airport Data dot Com when we get home.

First off you should carefully read the NOTAM for Osh. Then make up a sign for your windshield that has GAC on it. DON'T TALK TO GROUND. The people parking planes will direct you to the GAC area which is the north 40. You will not get to pick where in the north 40 they put you, they will put you in the next open slot. Depending on what time you get there on Saturday will have the biggest factor on where you get parked. I have arrived ~ 10ish on Saturday every year for the last 6 and end up in row 520 plus or minus 5 rows. That is roughly half way down the south side of 9/27. Be aware of the mass arrival mid day on Saturday ( I think it's the Cessna group ) If you arrive in the afternoon you will stand a fairly good chance of ending up at the end of 9.

PS This is all based on your arriving on Saturday July 25

. GAC .

Back