KOSH 2013 Update

We are in Row 505. Look for the big Texas flag.

We've seen a few crazy things. Yesterday we saw a Mooney do a flyby past the tower. Seriously.

The worst breach of safety we've seen was when an idiot in an RV landed on RWY 9. Nice landing, but everyone else was landing on Rwy 27. The Piper TriPacer that went head to head with him did a fine job on a very radical go around, as did the RV driver who promptly turned right and went into the traffic pattern for RWY 36. Last we saw him, he was heading South. Crazy.

Otherwise, its been wonderful, as always. Colder than hell, but today is warmer.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3...

From 2 past arrivals at Osh - 2 apologies:

1) 2007; My first trip into Osh in a Maule. After an exhaultant landing with waves and genuine excitement we were shuttled from antique parking to homebuilt camping to seemingly every other parking area before finally being directed to the low rent production parking area where we were told we needed to fly to another airport. Our bladders made this exercise hell. Our sign was too small and/or too faint or something. I was a complete a-hole to the first several volunteers I encountered at Appleton. For that I am genuinely sorry and apologize. Seriously! And I remain impressed with how cheerfully this a-hole was dealt with. Just amazing.

2) 2010; My second trip to Osh in a Maule with a much improved sign. The same tour of antique and whatever parking areas. It was a fine tour but our bladders again turned it into hell. This time I stopped mid-taxi and just whipped it out. I think she looked away. Again I was a complete a-hole and once again was absolutely amazed at how cheerfully I was dealt with. I really hate my kind of a-hole and never/rarely assume the role. But a busting bladder on a hot day with a fried brain did it to me twice. Once again I am sorry and apologize with all my heart. God bless the volunteers, you are saints!

Coda; Still considering saddling up and joining the conga line. I just KNOW that I won't be shuttled to the low rent production parking area because I look like a Cirrus. Even if that happens, this pilot will appreciate all that goes on and smile while looking for a range extender disposal area. Thank you volunteers in advance... even if we don't make it. Thank You!

PS: I always carry and use range extending equipment, even in the Maule. But hydration is important and landing kicks off a reaction that is difficult to deny. TMI for sure but...

I worked flight line ops this afternoon, and handled the three mass arrivals while stationed at the far north end of 36 Right.

The first mass arrival was 109 Bonanzas around 1300. Some observations:

1. I know in your briefing, you are told to keep the speed up once you land, because of traffic trailing behind you. And ATC said the same thing once you land, and tells you to taxi all the way to the end. But seriously, you've got to slow down some time. When you see us linemen, that's a good time to slow down. Obviously, few if any of you are familiar with the "slow down" signals, so please see Figure 4-3-15 in the AIM.

2. I know it's hard to see us lineman when you are taxiing at 40 kts, but please try to pay attention to us. We're trying to prevent you from bumping into other Bonanzas, or killing any of us.

3. Would a wave be so hard? Or was that not in your briefing?

I think 130 Cessnas mass arrived at 1430. Some observations:

1. Thanks for the waves, guys, and welcome to Oshkosh. You all seem generally thrilled to be here, and we love to see the excitement.

2. Well done on your 50 degree gusting crosswind landing.

A gaggle of Mooneys arrived around 1615. Some observations:

1. Well done on your 80 degree gusting crosswind landings!

2. Thanks for slowing down promptly when instructed by the linemen.

3. Thanks for the waves. It's fun to see!

Have fun this week. I'll be returning on Wednesday..

Got in to Appleton on Sunday night attented the show Today thought the show was good.may be we should get a spot in the type club tent as a meeting place.

From 2 past arrivals at Osh - 2 apologies:

1) 2007; My first trip into Osh in a Maule. After an exhaultant landing with waves and genuine excitement we were shuttled from antique parking to homebuilt camping to seemingly every other parking area before finally being directed to the low rent production parking area where we were told we needed to fly to another airport. Our bladders made this exercise hell. Our sign was too small and/or too faint or something. I was a complete a-hole to the first several volunteers I encountered at Appleton. For that I am genuinely sorry and apologize. Seriously! And I remain impressed with how cheerfully this a-hole was dealt with. Just amazing.

2) 2010; My second trip to Osh in a Maule with a much improved sign. The same tour of antique and whatever parking areas. It was a fine tour but our bladders again turned it into hell. This time I stopped mid-taxi and just whipped it out. I think she looked away. Again I was a complete a-hole and once again was absolutely amazed at how cheerfully I was dealt with. I really hate my kind of a-hole and never/rarely assume the role. But a busting bladder on a hot day with a fried brain did it to me twice. Once again I am sorry and apologize with all my heart. God bless the volunteers, you are saints!

Coda; Still considering saddling up and joining the conga line. I just KNOW that I won't be shuttled to the low rent production parking area because I look like a Cirrus. Even if that happens, this pilot will appreciate all that goes on and smile while looking for a range extender disposal area. Thank you volunteers in advance... even if we don't make it. Thank You!

PS: I always carry and use range extending equipment, even in the Maule. But hydration is important and landing kicks off a reaction that is difficult to deny. TMI for sure but...
Since you seem to know your own bladder issues, and since one should expect to have to do a lot of taxing here, perhaps next time you should stop at a nearby airport and take care of those issues before coming in versus taking your frustration (because of your own lack of planning) out on the volunteers.

Since you seem to know your own bladder issues, and since one should expect to have to do a lot of taxing here, perhaps next time you should stop at a nearby airport and take care of those issues before coming in versus taking your frustration (because of your own lack of planning) out on the volunteers.
Thanks man. I agree. Thus the belated mea culpa and apologies.

Thanks man. I agree. Thus the belated mea culpa and apologies.

I don't understand your being directed around the airport part of the story.

When I put "GAC" in the window, I get directed to General Aviation Camping, in the North 40. Where were you trying to get to?

When I put "GAC" in the window, I get directed to General Aviation Camping, in the North 40. Where were you trying to get to?

A GAC sign plus a landing on 18 will give you a pretty lengthy tour of all the parking areas...

That's what I was thinking. I suggest that anyone flying more than a couple hours to get to OSH stop 1/2 hour to an hour out, take a breather, drain the sump, fuel up, and then fly the arrival when you're fresh.

That was the confusing part since I thought I had the standard GAC (actually GAP) sign with proper size and contrast.

Actually we were a bit entertained by it because that kind of confusion is not unusual when flying a less than popular, conventional aircraft (a tw Maule) with truly composite construction (tube, fabric, alum sheet, and fiberglass). My guess is that the ground volunteers relied as much on their assessment of the a/c as the sign. That's the only explanation for being led to various parking/camping area before being waved off by the folks at the various gates. A few people have difficulty ID'ing a Maule as a contemporary production aircraft... even at Osh.

Jay I assume your '8 is an 'a' but if it is a tw model, you'd experience a version of that kind of confusion at a big airport FBO. They get really confused by taildraggers these days. You quickly learn not to park it where they tell you then get out and leave. You often get called back when they realize they don't know how to move it. I know, you wouldn't expect any confusion at Osh but that's why it was somewhat entertaining.

Hope you are having fun out there!

That's what I was thinking. I suggest that anyone flying more than a couple hours to get to OSH stop 1/2 hour to an hour out, take a breather, drain the sump, fuel up, and then fly the arrival when you're fresh.
Actually we did all that plus some.

My issues are not all that severe but certain landings bring their own psychological urges - particularly IMC approaches and airshow arrivals.

Moreover, my experiences in soaring convinced me that proper hydration on a hot day are critical to sharp flying. Conversely, any level of dehydration can quickly diminish flying skills. (How often to pilots limit their fluid intake to avoid a pit stop? Too often in this pilot's opinion.)

So for purposes of those experiences, especially the first one, think 'perfect storm'.

But you are right, just manage it so it doesn't happen. And my point; none of it justifies being an a-hole.

And on a not entirely unrelated point, late yesterday afternoon after finalizing preparations, I decided not to show up this year. Arrival - no problem. However the camping has gotten a bit old though for this hotel lover.

Hope you all have a blast at Oshkosh!

Having been there with C2O in the past, we find KUNU awesome for this purpose. They're really on the ball with "pull through" gas pumps, fast service, and after C2O leaves, plenty of parking for either a pit stop or if weather went to garbage, even some grass where you can plunk out a tent and stay overnight if you have to. The pilot's lounge usually has sandwich making stuff for a reasonable donation into the kitty jar, but if someone were truly broke, you could still grab a bite (no one is, but it's an incredibly nice gesture on their part), and the folks there couldn't be nicer.

Fun time so far! We stopped at GYY to make sure everyone could wait a few hrs before osh.

We are parked in 526, 1291m. Stop by for that pa beer that didn't make it wed night bc of weather.

I've walked nearly a billion miles and have managed to keep my spending under 2AMU. I haven't done anything in particular really, just walked around and talked to people. Spend a few hours a day sitting by my airplane on my laptop. After that I just lay under the wing and read a book.

Life is good.

Big lines of storms across the midwest today. We departed OSH at 0830 this morning in great VFR then soon forced to divert west, finally stopped in St. Joseph, Mo for fuel and Dairy Queen (delivered to FBO since the crew car was in use) then non-stop back to Dallas. 20-40 kts headwind at 12k', so flew low all the way.

For those still around OSH on Saturday, shall we make plans for dinner?

Trying to book a room for my son and I next year. He is upset I didn't take him this year....hell what does he want? I am already paying for his PPL training....anyway suggestions for a room with 2 beds that doesn't cost $400 per night? Doesn't have to be in Oshkosh (obviously)

Big lines of storms across the midwest today. We departed OSH at 0830 this morning in great VFR then soon forced to divert west, finally stopped in St. Joseph, Mo for fuel and Dairy Queen (delivered to FBO since the crew car was in use) then non-stop back to Dallas. 20-40 kts headwind at 12k', so flew low all the way.

This is why I left yesterday.

I didn't get my Wayne Bower hug while I was there. :sad:

I met your neighbor from NM when she was driving the tram around the N. 40. She said Tom stayed home.

I looked down your hangar row a few times but didn't see any signs of occupants.
This is why I left yesterday.

I didn't get my Wayne Bower hug while I was there. :sad:

Trying to book a room for my son and I next year. He is upset I didn't take him this year....hell what does he want? I am already paying for his PPL training....anyway suggestions for a room with 2 beds that doesn't cost $400 per night? Doesn't have to be in Oshkosh (obviously)

I usually stay down in West Bend. Far enough away to not have jacked up rates and not a long drive up there.

The Qualiity Inn in Appleton/Kimberly is nice, clean and not outlandish. Breakfast included, $80-100/night depending on the days.

choicehotels.com

and search for 50 miles around OSH. I make reservations in August. There's bus service for every place within 75 miles or so if you don't have a car (I make car reservations at the same time for MKE and ATW, just in case, then cancel when I'm sure I won't need them). However, the RT bus Green Bay-OSH is $35 each. Pretty much pays for the car at that rate.

Do not delay. Make reservations as soon as you get home.

Or, the UWOSH dorms next year will be $70/$120 (AC). Make reservations now. AC dorms were filled July 2 for next year but get on the waiting list.

PM me for more details.

The problem with a hotel is you miss all the social stuff at night which is to me the main reason to come.

I got here on Wednesday around lunch time. There were very few planes coming in when we arrived. There were a lot of low clouds in the area all morning. I guess that kept some folks away. We flew out in my buddies Bonanza in about 4.5 hours from Philly. We went over the lakes. We're hoping for 3.5 going home on Sunday. We're filed for a 10:45AM departure.

The weather has been fantastic. My buddy camps but I don't. I'm staying in an unairconditioned room in one of the dorms. With the cool temperatures, it's actually pretty decent. I have to admit that the weather has been so good that even I could have survived camping :rolleyes:.

I'm sorry I didn't meet up with any other POA folks.

I've tent-camped by the plane, RV-camped in the campground and rented a room at an air-conditioned home a couple miles from the airport. Options 1 and 2 are no longer in play.

ezyvezy2.jpg

Gulfstream Girl

nupa2ere.jpg

Nadia Marcinkova (far left)

I've tent-camped by the plane, RV-camped in the campground and rented a room at an air-conditioned home a couple miles from the airport. Options 1 and 2 are no longer in play.

For my only other visit, 2008, I rented a room in a house that was between the North 40 and the museum. That was excellent :D. I hung out with my camping buddies in the North 40 at night and had a 10 minute walk to my air-conditioned room with a TV and bathroom.

These dorm rooms, for $65 a night, aren't bad.

And there is also a pic of her as a fashion model! The plot thickens:)
However, I have read that GG/Nadia Marcinko is 28, whereas Nadia Marcinkova is 23!
Also, the latter is known to have visited Epstein in prison more than 70 times! I would have thought someone would have made the connection, if there is one, by now.
The likeness though is amazing.
Are you sure that GII she flies is Epsteins?

And there is also a pic of her as a fashion model! The plot thickens:)
However, I have read that GG/Nadia Marcinko is 28, whereas Nadia Marcinkova is 23!
Also, the latter is known to have visited Epstein in prison more than 70 times! I would have thought someone would have made the connection, if there is one, by now.
The likeness though is amazing.
Are you sure that GII she flies is Epsteins?

She's diddled enough kids to make Kenny Lane look like an amateur.

Back