KOSH 2013 Update

Geico266

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Geico
Friday

Good crowd building, weather certainly has been a factor for pilots coming early, camper registration on par, rain not a factor and just settled the dust, about 1/4" near the Emergency Aircraft Repair station.

Last edited:
Saw the alerts that a good sized t-storm was headed that way today. Hail, huh?

Had about pea sized hail for a few minutes. Lots of rain too.

Hopefully that is all for a few days.

FYI, should be rolling into Oshkosh mid day on Sunday.

Coming in Sunday weather looks like some rain in the afternoon.not crazy about forecast for sun afternoon.

I'm aiming for tomorrow, Sunday morning at the latest.

I should be in Sunday around 3PM.

Flyer, where you parked at?

Enroute to camp scholler with the family and camper.

Better to arrive on a Saturday evening or Sunday morning? I've always arrived Wednesday or Thursday morning, not this early before.

I'm leaning towards tonight. Looking for good spot for my Lance 20 foot camper with my generator.

Last edited:
Enroute to camp scholler with the family and camper.

Better to arrive on a Saturday evening or Sunday morning? I've always arrived Wednesday or Thursday morning, not this early before.

I'm leaning towards tonight. Looking for good spot for my Lance 20 foot camper with my generator.

Setting up at night is problematic.

Fisk Control is absolutely quiet this (Saturday) afternoon. When does the Fisk approach take effect?

Jim

He'll be wearing these:
Nike-Legacy-Pro-Shield-P60-Print-Mens-Board-Shorts-523262_695_A.jpg

imgres

I worked flight line ops this afternoon, and handled the three mass arrivals while stationed at the far north end of 36 Right.

The first mass arrival was 109 Bonanzas around 1300. Some observations:

1. I know in your briefing, you are told to keep the speed up once you land, because of traffic trailing behind you. And ATC said the same thing once you land, and tells you to taxi all the way to the end. But seriously, you've got to slow down some time. When you see us linemen, that's a good time to slow down. Obviously, few if any of you are familiar with the "slow down" signals, so please see Figure 4-3-15 in the AIM.

2. I know it's hard to see us lineman when you are taxiing at 40 kts, but please try to pay attention to us. We're trying to prevent you from bumping into other Bonanzas, or killing any of us.

3. Would a wave be so hard? Or was that not in your briefing?

I think 130 Cessnas mass arrived at 1430. Some observations:

1. Thanks for the waves, guys, and welcome to Oshkosh. You all seem generally thrilled to be here, and we love to see the excitement.

2. Well done on your 50 degree gusting crosswind landing.

A gaggle of Mooneys arrived around 1615. Some observations:

1. Well done on your 80 degree gusting crosswind landings!

2. Thanks for slowing down promptly when instructed by the linemen.

3. Thanks for the waves. It's fun to see!

Have fun this week. I'll be returning on Wednesday..

A gaggle of Mooneys arrived around 1615. Some observations:

1. Well done on your 80 degree gusting crosswind landings!

2. Thanks for slowing down promptly when instructed by the linemen.

3. Thanks for the waves. It's fun to see!

Have fun this week. I'll be returning on Wednesday..

Yea!! The Mooneys made a better impression than the Bonanzas! I guess that's typical though...:D:rofl::stirpot:

Was thinking the same thing about the Cessnas. Heh.

Apparently the Bo drivers are too cool to be bothered by stuff like hand signals. LOL...

I'm the yellow 172 parked in row 502 near the front of the n 40.

I guess we're not neighbors this year - You must have beat me in!

Red Mooney row 517 next to the crapper.

And I'm right smack between the two of you - White-over-beige Mooney M20R with maroon stripes, second plane in from the road end of row 509.

Fisk Control is absolutely quiet this (Saturday) afternoon. When does the Fisk approach take effect?

NOTAM procedures including Fisk Approach took effect on Friday, but when I arrived Friday evening they were pretty much just having everyone fly straight to the field. There were no controllers out at Fisk yet, the guy on 120.7 (Fisk Approach freq) was in the tower at KOSH.

Yea!! The Mooneys made a better impression than the Bonanzas! I guess that's typical though...:D:rofl::stirpot:

Hee hee. :D

Seriously though, ya gotta give the organizers some credit. Here was one comment on the Mooney email list: "What a difference from the last and only other Caravan I flew in! Caravan 5. At that time I breathed a sigh of relief at arriving in one piece. This one was so professionally run that safety was never, ever an issue." So, props to them.

OBTW, I got a good laugh on my way in - There was a Bo that called in 5 miles west of Ripon (20nm from the field) just before I called in 20 southeast of Ripon (24nm from the field). Both of us were told to proceed direct to the field, but despite being 20% further away I beat him in. :D

Was thinking the same thing about the Cessnas. Heh.

Apparently the Bo drivers are too cool to be bothered by stuff like hand signals. LOL...

Seriously. We were warned that the Bo drivers won't slow down despite all of our efforts to the contrary. It sounded like an airport legend, but it turns out
to be true. WTF?

About 300 yards north of me they had to merge Bos landing on 36L with Bos landing on 36R, followed immediately by a turn to the west. Taxiing at 40 knots makes that a little hair raising for us FLO guys and gals.

Back