KONA (Winona,MN) Quick Family Trip

Sinistar

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Brad
I took a half day off on Friday and the three of us flew over to Winona. Right around 1hr from our home airport west of the Twin Cities. Center advised of turbulence from 4000-9000 so we flew it low but the scenery just gets better and better coming from the flat land.

The airport really has a cool old old vibe to it with a couple large Quonset buildings. What really gives it that vibe though is being right on the Mississippi just south of Lake Pepin. Add in the fact the river is high and things have just turned green and the scenery is awesome.

There was water on 3 sides of the runway (sorry no pic) and the ILS indictors were barely sticking out of the water! The wife was flying and I could tell she was keeping the pattern tight with all the water.

Its an uncontrolled airport and when we announced at 10 miles out the guy working at the FBO gave us a great wx report and asked us if we needed fuel, etc. He stuck around so my daughter could get her MN passport stamped. Then he dropped us off at the ice cream shop. The Ice Cream shop (Zesto's) and a pizza place (???) are about 5min walk away. We walked back while my daughter rode her scooter.

The flight home was way less bumpy so my daughter put @pigpenracing's Lightspeed Zulu 3's to use and watched a movie with the Bluetooth streaming in. She has officially called that headset.

Here's just a few pictures of the countryside. My daughter said it reminded her of the hills in parts of New Zealand...maybe a little bit.

This trip makes me wonder if anyone has ever done a aviation themed trip down the Mississippi to various smaller airports.

DSC00235.jpg DSC00237.jpg DSC00238.jpg

Beautiful scenery and sounds like a great trip. Always nice how just a half day vac. on Friday afternoon opens up a great longer weekend.

Back