Kolb Ultralight trailering questions

Robert Lobdell

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Robert
I’m thinking about a Kolb for several reasons. Mainly because the wings fold and I can’t afford a hanger. I have seen several videos of people folding wings and it can easily be done by one person. So, another plus. If I was to acquire a single seat I would essentially be asking someone to go to the airport or where ever to help me and then sit around till I return to help me again. I don’t have any friends like that. So, two man folding wings isn’t an option. Then there is the storage. Folded the Kolb will fit nicely into an enclosed trailer. But, What size? The fire fly would be smallest and fit into a 20 foot trailer. How much room is there to maneuver after plane is in trailer. The Mark III is the longest and would require a 24 foot trailer. Now that is a fairly big trailer. The load wouldn’t be that heavy but the trailer would be. Can an average Pickup truck tow a 24 foot enclosed trailer? This would also have to be the planes storage when not being flown. So, I guess the question is Plane first then find a trailer to fit. Or trailer first and hope you have enough room for your plane. that may be a self answering question.

Smartcartowingtrailer.jpg

I would get the plane you want and can afford and worry about the trailer later. It will not hurt the airplane to stay outside a few months while you sort out the hauling and storage solution. Maybe see if someone at the airport will charge you a small fee to keep your folded airplane in their hangar, or see if you can rent a spot at the airport to keep the trailer. Unless you live in a mountainous area any 1/2 ton truck can handle a 24' trailer with a kolb in it.

In trying to answer the OP, I posted a link to a Kitplanes article about a Kolb built by Al Bilodeau. I added the photo that is in the article and set it where if you click on the photo, it would take you to the story.

Al reached out to me today and is not happy that I didn’t give him credit for the photo. I didn’t really think about it because the photo was linked to the article.

Hopefully people here know that I wouldn’t take credit for someone else’s photo. I apologize if there was any confusion. I removed the photos as soon as I figured out what Al was referring to. My mistake, truly sorry.

Last edited:
Kolb is by far the most compact among the common folders. I think the only one where tail either folds or is removed is Remos GX, which may be 5 times more expensive. Every other airplane I know folds in such a way that it requires a very wide trailer, that is barely legal (8'1/2). Aerotrek is like that.

BYF is very easy to "fold", but the resulting package requires a 30-ft V-nose trailer. That was a non-starter for me.

Kolb is by far the most compact among the common folders. I think the only one where tail either folds or is removed is Remos GX, which may be 5 times more expensive. Every other airplane I know folds in such a way that it requires a very wide trailer, that is barely legal (8'1/2). Aerotrek is like that.

BYF is very easy to "fold", but the resulting package requires a 30-ft V-nose trailer. That was a non-starter for me.

I love the ease of the BYF and it’s looks but it does make a long load

No matter how you look at it, a folded airplane takes a big trailer. I used to have a Kolb Ultrastar, which came with a 28' trailer. The trailer was 9' tall and weighed 2000 lbs. I tied it with a Dodge Ram but the guy who bought it towed it home with a Subaru Forester.

Unfolding and folding the wings isn't a big deal (10 minutes), but hauling it around is. I kept the plane in the trailer at the airport during the flying season, paying the outdoor tiedown rate, and brought it home for the winter.

Anybody remember what Kolb called their twin-engined single-place homebuilt with the little Solo pusher engines? I had some time in one back in the day (late 70's/early 80's?). Thought it was the TwinStar, but a short web search says otherwise.

Even back then Kolb had a good product. A guy kept his in my barn at my strip. At 250# back then, I kind of over-whelmed it a bit.

Jim

Anybody remember what Kolb called their twin-engined single-place homebuilt with the little Solo pusher engines? I had some time in one back in the day (late 70's/early 80's?). Thought it was the TwinStar, but a short web search says otherwise.

Jim

Kolb Flyer. The Twinstar was the first of the 2 place side by side models. The Flyer didn't have folding wings like the later models.

When I bought my Challenger from the builder in Phoenix, I purchased a new 28 foot enclosed trailer from Douglas Customs in Ga for around 5500. I tried to tow it with a 1/2 ton Chevy and had tyranny problems. I bought a GMC 3/4 ton and made the trip from Lubbock Tx to Butler pa, Then from Butler. PA to Deming new Mexico No Problem. I bought a car hauler for it's extra width and admittedly did not take it's weight into account. If you buy a light weight 24' trailer, you should be able to tow it with a 1/2 ton or larger truck with ease.

When I bought my Challenger from the builder in Phoenix, I purchased a new 28 foot enclosed trailer from Douglas Customs in Ga for around 5500. I tried to tow it with a 1/2 ton Chevy and had tyranny problems. I bought a GMC 3/4 ton and made the trip from Lubbock Tx to Butler pa, Then from Butler. PA to Deming new Mexico No Problem. I bought a car hauler for it's extra width and admittedly did not take it's weight into account. If you buy a light weight 24' trailer, you should be able to tow it with a 1/2 ton or larger truck with ease.

1/2 ton should be no problem I had a 99 F-150 GVW for towing was 7700 I regularly towed 24 foot enclosed trailer loaded down to gvw of 7000 lbs had electric brakes without any problems would not attempt without electric brakes. I never had any transmission problems I flush the transmissions every year on all automatics add a cooler if doesn't have one. Likely the transmission issues wasn't due to the box trailer could not have been more then 3000 lbs. If the truck was bought used most likely fluid was not changed frequently enough most people just put gas in and change the oil call it good. They neglect all the other fluids in a vehicle need changing like brake, and power steering.

The tyranny problems were a direct result of th 9000lb enclosed car hauler being too heavy for my 1/2 ton chevy. I smoked one tranny. Had it rebuilt. Got 900 miles before the rebuilt got too hot. As I stated on my previous post. I purchased a car hauler without giving consideration to the weight. There are many lightweight options available, including building a custom trailer for the plane

I was assuming the trailer had a light airplane in it enclosed car haulers don't weight 9000 lbs empty more like 2000 lbs at most you probably around no more then 5000 max loaded with your airplane . Gm transmission had some bad years design wasn't great I always owned ford trucks until I got a Ram a few years ago wanted a cummins. If your putting a light aircraft in a enclosed trailer should be fine. I found 8.5x24 enclosed GVW is 7000 well within most 1/2 ton pickup rated towing. https://www.prolinetrailersales.com/specials/8-5x24-enclosed-deluxe-trailer-special No reason you need to make a custom trailer. If your going to tow 7000 lbs good idea to install an external cooler for the transmission.

Back