KOKB: Maxwell or Oceanside on CTAF?

SoCal RV Flyer

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
SoCal RV Flyer
Just curious which one to use on the radio. Also, "123.0" is painted on the runway while all other sources I've seen have the CTAF as 122.725. Anybody have insight here?

Just curious which one to use on the radio. Also, "123.0" is painted on the runway while all other sources I've seen have the CTAF as 122.725. Anybody have insight here?
You could use either, but I always used Oceanside.

As far as the freq, I'd announce on 122.72 which is CTAF.

123.0 is listed as the UNICOM freq in ForeFlight. That would be to contact the FBO.

Thanks! I like "Oceanside" better. Airnav lists 122.725 for both CTAF and UNICOM...confusing!

I might go there in a day or two, just to land at a different airport for fun.

I've flown into OKB often. The last time just after the name change. Never heard traffic from other airports. CTAF frequencies are pretty well protected around the LA, San Diego area. I'd recommend using "Maxwell traffic." It is the airports name now. I'm sure "Oceanside traffic" will still be heard for some time. Those who do it out of habit but know the airport got renamed recently will be no problem. Those who are doing it because they are flying with outdated info, you know, that old sectional they got for free, might think they have the pattern to themselves because the only other traffic they hear is at "Maxwell."

Oceanside is a great airport (and I have only ever heard one pilot say "Maxwell Field").

122.725 is both CTAF and UNICOM.

There are other airports on the frequency, in particular Big Bear and Pauma Valley. Down low you probably won't notice BB and PV is low volume.

There is a lot of activity with skydiving Wed through Sunday (I am one of the pilots at the dropzone).

Come on out and say hello.

Oceanside is a great airport (and I have only ever heard one pilot say "Maxwell Field")
You've heard one more than me! Good to know it got renamed. If I heard Maxwell I'd have double checked my freq...

Back