KNS80 ventilation requirements?

Pedals2Paddles

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Pedals2Paddles
We're looking at a used KNS80 for our C150. Bennet's page on the devices says forced air ventilation is required. I'm guessing this is due to the DME transmitter's high power and the heat from the RNAV computer? What can you all tell me about forced air avionics ventilation. I've never heard of it or seen it, at least not that I knew i was hearing and seeing. Thanks!

So is it just a fan that blows around through behind the panel?

Well yes, a panel 430 would be spectacular. But for a mostly VFR 150, and for IFR training only, that would be putting a $14,000 system in a $10,000 plane that will never make use of it's feature set.

They don't need ventilation when submerged in water during their typical, best suited use as a boat anchor. If you're going to waste your money, try to find a transplant kln89B system or similar.

I had a KNS80, it would reset every few minutes, I think it was overheating, not sure if I had forced air cooling or not.

Our kns80 had a hose that connected to a tiny scoop on the boot cowl. Worked very well.
I hate to admit it but I actually liked it as a nav radio.

Our kns80 had a hose that connected to a tiny scoop on the boot cowl. Worked very well.
I hate to admit it but I actually liked it as a nav radio.

The KNS80 came with the scoop and hose when new - and those items probably stayed in the original plane when the '80 was removed. You are better off with a blower, since the scoop can admit water when you fly in rain. BTDT.

Dave

They don't need ventilation when submerged in water during their typical, best suited use as a boat anchor. If you're going to waste your money, try to find a transplant kln89B system or similar.

This is a C150 training aircraft. We do not need an IFR GPS. What we need a Nav radio with GS, and a DME. So we could buy a Nav/Com and then buy a DME and pay $1700+. Or we can buy the yellow tagged $500 KNS80 which has a Nav, GS, and DME all in one, plus the added bonus of RNAV. We don't even need the RNAV, it is just a very nice bonus.

The boat anchor is what is presently in the aircraft... a dead KX145 and a Loran.

This is a C150 training aircraft. We do not need an IFR GPS. What we need a Nav radio with GS, and a DME. So we could buy a Nav/Com and then buy a DME and pay $1700+. Or we can buy the yellow tagged $500 KNS80 which has a Nav, GS, and DME all in one, plus the added bonus of RNAV. We don't even need the RNAV, it is just a very nice bonus.

The boat anchor is what is presently in the aircraft... a dead KX145 and a Loran.

And you're buying a fan and have to install it plus a CDI. I bought a complete, IFR legal KLN89B transplant system (CDI, annunciator and box)for $800. It was a waste of money and I wouldn't do it again but not as big of a waste as a KNS80 would have been. And, I went through the same reps you're going through while I was staring at a dead ADF and looking to do IFR training in my old Cherokee. Don't think whatever CDI you have tied to the 145 is going to work with the KNS80, it won't. Seems like an all around bad decision to me, but it's your money. At the very least I'd get a decent nav/comm and a DME if I just had to have DME.

I'm not buying anything until I've been able to scope out what it has now for a CDI, antennas, audio etc. We're still working out the ferry flight details for now. This is all thinking out loud for the next 6-8 months.

Right now the only Nav it has is an ICS Plus Nav/Com with a display integrated CDI/GS. It's usefulness is debatable at the moment. That's it. The panel CDI/GS was connected to the dead KX145, so both of them do nothing now. I have no idea what this thing has for antennas, audio systems, room on the stack, etc. So nothing is set in stone until I can investigate further.

What I do know is that a single Nav with no DME and/or second Nav for cross radial isn't practical for IFR training (and is only partially practical for VFR use). We want a real Nav/GS with DME, which the KNS80 provides in one box. Like I said, the RNAV is a plus, not a requirement. I would have no problem with a Nav/Com and a separate G/S receiver, but that would cost 4x as much as one KNS80 and do less. I would also have no problem with an IFR GPS, but that is more $$ for features we don't need, and would lack a G/S.

Back