Knowledge Test Codes

HPNPilot1200

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Jason
I just got back from taking the instrument written. I got one wrong, in the PLT078 category, which according to this FAA document, "Interpret information on an Airport Facility Directory (AFD)," however, none of the questions asked on the exam had to do with an A/FD and no questions referenced a figure of an A/FD.

Anyone ever get a code that didn't correlate with the question they got wrong?

I checked my Gleim Instrument Pilot Knowledge Exam 2008 edition under the old code of J34 (2008 still uses the old codes for some reason), and none of the questions listed were on my exam.

Just curious. :crazy:

I found these 2 questions in the published FAA bank. See attached.

joe

Attachments

• afdquestions.pdf
    32.7 KB · Views: 14
  • testFigures.pdf
    171.7 KB · Views: 8
It seems to be harder to figure out exactly which question was missed on these tests, probably by design.

The printed books like Gleim and ASA have many more questions than the FAA puts in their samples on faa.gov, which is where these questions came from.

Joe

Since those two ADF questions (that Joe posted) were not the one you got wrong, can you remember, or could you locate the Exact question you did miss (from the Gleim book or elsewhere?)

If so, maybe someone out here could better track it down or explain it.

That said, I would have to agree, sometimes I have encountered difficulty correlating the "Code" with which question was answered incorrectly. Most seem to "make sense" (Code and Question) but a few seem a mystery.

A flight-school student friend showed me his test result recently and asked for help. I showed him the Code index and how to interpret the results. He got four wrong on his test. Three questions/Codes made sense, but one didn't.

Last edited:
It may have been a "Trial" test question.

The FAA "tries out" "New," "proposed," future test questions, that are unknown, and not (yet) in the Gleim. In Gleim texts, they even request that (as best you're able) to remember those "odd" questions and the possible answers, write them down and forward to Gleim, to help improve their study guides (and thereby help future test-takers.)

I remember there were TWO such "unknown" test questions when I took my Commercial Written in 2005. In the test instructions, they even mentioned that these "proposed future test questions" would be included on my test.

I (fairly) easily recognized the questions, as I had never seen these before, and had spent lots of time (two solid days) memorizing every question/answer in the Gleim Commercial Test Prep book, before taking my test.

They said these would be scored as normal questions and count for or against my total score. Seemed a bit unsporting of them (the FAA) to me.

Last edited:
Jason,

When I took my instrument late last year--I discovered that the question codes did not align that well with my Gleim and found the question that I got wrong in a different code. There was also an additional question that I missed that I could not find in any published question pool. I can't remember what it is anymore though.

They said these would be scored as normal questions and count for or against my total score. Seemed a bit unsporting of them (the FAA) to me.

Huh? Every time I've taken an FAA test, I get the alert that "Trial questions may be included in your test, but they will not be counted on your score."

Back