Knocking the rust off as low time pilot

TWD87

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
TWD87
I’ve been reading and browsing the message boards here for a while and thought I might as well get an account set up, introduce myself, and ask for some advice.

(if you could care less about my background, feel free to skip below to get to my current situation and share your advice and experience. It would be greatly appreciated)

I received my PPL in May of 2006. This was the same month I graduated High School. I had started the journey at 16 with the goal of using the PPL as part of my application as a Warrant Officer candidate for the Army’s rotary wing program. Maybe better verbiage would be I justified my flying for that reason, the true reason is I loved aviation for as long as I can remember and just couldn’t get enough of flying.

Trying to make a long story short, half way through the training it became apparent that despite the fact you could technically receive a waiver/corrective vision procedures to qualify for the Army’s program, it just wouldn’t be a reality for me. Too many qualified candidates for them to even have to mess with it (at least at the time).

I pushed on however and completed my checkride. After I received it, I took a few friends and family up for some leisurely flights around the familiar area of my home airport. This lasted about a month and then life for me really began as I had enlisted in the Marines instead and left for San Diego in July 06. (for those gracious enough to suffer through my story thus far, just about two months after my checkride).

And now fast forward about 13 years. I did my enlistment in the Marines (not aviation related just to be clear) returned home, got married, bought a house (5 minutes away from the local airport I trained at….) and have a stable career that I enjoy.

****and now for my flying situation and questions****

I have decided that I want to get back into flying. My goals are to someday own my own plane (possibly a parternship with someone) or get involved with a flying club, but first I have to get back in the game. I only have 70 hours logged almost all flown my junior and senior year of high school. I have made contact with the FBO at the local airport (new ownership than when I trained) and have met and scheduled some flying time with an instructor to begin my journey. I will be getting back into it in a 172. I had trained on PA-28-140s.

Does anyone have experience being a very low time pilot taking a break for a long period of time and getting back into it. If so, what advice would you give? At this point I feel that I need to treat this as if I am starting from 0 hours. I just assume that it will come to me a bit faster than the first time around.

(FYI for those in the know on VA Post 9/11 GI Bill, I do still have this eligible, and won’t be using it for traditional education for my career. I will either lose it in 2025 or use it for aviation purposes)

I guess what I am nervous about is that the stick and rudder skills will come back relatively quickly, but that I won’t be as up to speed on everything else as quickly as that comes. Decision making, emergency procedures, airspace, ATC, etc. Any advice on how to go about getting back into it? I want to be competent and safe so I can enjoy this hobby for many years to come.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to being a part of this community.

the instructor you go up with will probably be the best person to advise you how to proceed. but like flocker said, it'll come back to you.

I took 26 years off after 175 hours, came back over a year ago. Stick and rudder was real rusty, knowledge part not as bad, other than airspace changes. Aopa says to expect about an hour instruction for every year off to get back. I took a little longer, but it was about right. Do it. Don't forget about the medical, if you are getting disability or taking meds for anxiety or have a drug/ dui arrest history then the medical may be an issue. If not, you should be fine, do it.

I had about a 115 hours when I quit for 20+ years. I started back up again about 5 years ago. Took 6.8 hours to get signed off. Essentially did a mini-private pilot just super accelerated. The first three lessons I wondered if it was ever going to come back all the stuff I used to "just do" I had to think through everything felt awkward not like I remembered. Then all of a sudden I don't know how to explain but all of a sudden it just clicked again.

Since starting again I fly as often as I can but nowhere near as much as I would like, 20-50 hours a year. Plane availability has been a problem for me not living close to a big city. I am hoping to buy something in the next year or so to help with that. I have picked up my tailwheel endorsment and flown a bunch of TW also picked up complex and high performance endorsements as well.

I had 125 or so in when I had to quit 4 years ago or so. Decided to get back into it this year, or I should say I was able to get back into it as I never wanted to stop, just life and finances demanded it. I was surprised how quick the basics came back to okayish quick... But just like soloing the first time its different person to person. Make your plan and go for it, it will come back reguardless if it takes a short time or a bit longer.

In terms of plane access, Clubs are great and usually less expensive over time than rental. One thing I find great about my club plane, is when I decided to buy this fall to get back into it-having a really nice 180hp 172 available to me, with monthly dues only $60, was I was able to buy a super basic 2 seat plane (Cessna 140) that as a rule of thumb is an inexpensive plane to operate and maintain, as far as airplanes go to keep at my home airport close by... I can now use it for fun evening cruises, burger runs, and light travel, but if I need a capable 4 seat plane I have one of those at my disposal and I don't have to personally maintain it, nor buy gas for it at 9 gal an hour to run n get burgers with an often empty backseat...heck often empty right seat.. So be creative if need be in selecting a plane for your mission, with some creativity it can be done for less than some think... I'm kinda shocked at times when I think that even at my income I have 2 planes at my disposal and between club buy in and purchase I'm only out about $25k....

Good Luck, you can do it!

Wow, I'm amazed at how much your story is similar to my own, except I enlisted in the Army. I just started flying again last year, and honestly it came back extremely quickly. I had very little trouble with the stick and rudder skills, and worked hard to update and expand my knowledge. There were a lot more subtle differences than anything else, so as long as you approach your re-currency with the right attitude you'll be just fine.

Only thing I will say, is if you have any thoughts about putting in that Warrant Packet, DO IT!!!! My 33rd birthday was right around the corner, and I figured, "what the heck, I'll give it one more shot cause I'll regret it if I don't." The Army is seriously hurting for pilots right now, there were a ton of prior service Marine, Coast Guard and street-to-seat guys going through with my class. Several of them already had their ratings from using their GI Bill. Can't guarantee anything with medical waivers, but they're definitely a lot easier to get at the moment. And the medical is one of the first things you do, so you'll know for sure right away. I recently graduated, so I you have questions about flight school right now, I will try to answer. I'm brand new to the pilot side of the house, but I was in Aviation previously, so I can answer general questions about the CAB life as well.

coming back isn’t usually that difficult. Relax enjoy the ride.

I have made contact with the FBO at the local airport (new ownership than when I trained) and have met and scheduled some flying time with an instructor to begin my journey. I will be getting back into it in a 172.

Sounds like you are already doing what you need to do. I'm sure you'll be fine. Many pilots stop flying at various points in their life and then pick it up many years later. Getting with a CFI and getting your butt back in the seat is most of what it takes. You should also read up on the regulatory changes and technical improvements since you last flew.

Sounds like you are already doing what you need to do. I'm sure you'll be fine. Many pilots stop flying at various points in their life and then pick it up many years later. Getting with a CFI and getting your butt back in the seat is most of what it takes. You should also read up on the regulatory changes and technical improvements since you last flew.
<Hand raised>! That's exactly what I'm doing. Excellent advice. Going through Sporty's ground school now to get up to speed again. Many changes since the early 2000s when I was flying. Taking my first re-education flight tomorrow.

Sounds like you're doing all the right stuff. You might even consider doing another round of ground school just for the heck of it, but that's ultimately your call to make based on how well you feel you remember all the knowledge material. Either way, thanks for your service to our nation and congrats on getting back to flying! Also, as I'm sure you're well aware, YouTube has TONS of great videos to help you get back into the mindset and get pumped!

Welcome to the joint
I’ve been reading and browsing the message boards here for a while and thought I might as well get an account set up, introduce myself, and ask for some advice.

(if you could care less about my background, feel free to skip below to get to my current situation and share your advice and experience. It would be greatly appreciated)

I received my PPL in May of 2006. This was the same month I graduated High School. I had started the journey at 16 with the goal of using the PPL as part of my application as a Warrant Officer candidate for the Army’s rotary wing program. Maybe better verbiage would be I justified my flying for that reason, the true reason is I loved aviation for as long as I can remember and just couldn’t get enough of flying.

Trying to make a long story short, half way through the training it became apparent that despite the fact you could technically receive a waiver/corrective vision procedures to qualify for the Army’s program, it just wouldn’t be a reality for me. Too many qualified candidates for them to even have to mess with it (at least at the time).

I pushed on however and completed my checkride. After I received it, I took a few friends and family up for some leisurely flights around the familiar area of my home airport. This lasted about a month and then life for me really began as I had enlisted in the Marines instead and left for San Diego in July 06. (for those gracious enough to suffer through my story thus far, just about two months after my checkride).

And now fast forward about 13 years. I did my enlistment in the Marines (not aviation related just to be clear) returned home, got married, bought a house (5 minutes away from the local airport I trained at….) and have a stable career that I enjoy.

****and now for my flying situation and questions****

I have decided that I want to get back into flying. My goals are to someday own my own plane (possibly a parternship with someone) or get involved with a flying club, but first I have to get back in the game. I only have 70 hours logged almost all flown my junior and senior year of high school. I have made contact with the FBO at the local airport (new ownership than when I trained) and have met and scheduled some flying time with an instructor to begin my journey. I will be getting back into it in a 172. I had trained on PA-28-140s.

Does anyone have experience being a very low time pilot taking a break for a long period of time and getting back into it. If so, what advice would you give? At this point I feel that I need to treat this as if I am starting from 0 hours. I just assume that it will come to me a bit faster than the first time around.

(FYI for those in the know on VA Post 9/11 GI Bill, I do still have this eligible, and won’t be using it for traditional education for my career. I will either lose it in 2025 or use it for aviation purposes)

I guess what I am nervous about is that the stick and rudder skills will come back relatively quickly, but that I won’t be as up to speed on everything else as quickly as that comes. Decision making, emergency procedures, airspace, ATC, etc. Any advice on how to go about getting back into it? I want to be competent and safe so I can enjoy this hobby for many years to come.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to being a part of this community.

Welcome to the joint. Can't relate exactly to your situation. I took about 25 years off and returned to flying but I had about 200 hours and other certificates and ratings when I quit. For what it's worth, the muscle memory came back quicker than I thought it would. My guess is you'll do just fine as long as you don't get all bummed out on your first flight because you're a little rusty.

Back