Knee??

pmanton

En-Route
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
N1431A
As some of you might know, I'm kinda getting along in years. This Spring I'll hit 84. My right knee is giving out. The surgeon said both my knees are shot, with my left knee being worse than the one I complained about.

He wants to sharpen up his knives and saws. I did get a shot in the knee which has since worn off.

After watching what my wife and a neighbor went through, my thoughts are no way!!

Know one knows how many months or years they have left. I'll be damned it I want to spend what I have in pain, recovering from surgery.

I'm wearing a brace on my knee which helps. I also think I'll have to sell my PA 22 since I can't get on a ladder to refuel it. I'll still have a low wing Forney to fly.

Do any of you have any tips for putting off the surgeon with his scary saws and knives?

Paul
Salome, AZ.

My father got both of his knees replaced several years ago. He said they hurt less when he woke up after surgery than they did when he walked in that morning. He did them about 6 months apart. Best of luck.

From watching my parents, my wife's grandmother, and a few other assorted oldsters, my advice would be to do it! Everyone I know has had an excellent outcome and massively increased mobility and QOL. The limiting factor as I understand it is the lifespan of the device, so they don't want to do it too young. My wife's dad has been hobbling around for a couple years because he's only 65, but they can't wait any longer so he's going in this spring. My mom's only regret was not doing them both at the same time.

One data point. My father had one painful knee he had replaced when he was ~75. After 6 months, he was doing fairly well with the replacement, but it became infected and had to be removed and ultimately replaced after a couple of months of immobility and treatment to get rid of the infection. Even though the knee replacement replacement "went well" according to the doctors, he was never able to support his weight on that leg again. He spent the last 10 years of his life in a wheelchair.

I realize that is an extreme outcome, but those outcomes do occasionally happen.

As the doctor told dad when he was considering the initial replacement - this is a lifestyle operation. It will probably give you better mobility and less pain, but there is no pressing medical reason to do it other than pain, which can often be managed. Oh, and bad outcomes do happen from time to time.

80 when I had my knee done, 87 now.

Not much of a choice for me, it would have an excruciating pain and drop me, out of control, unexpectedly. Sooner or later, that was going to be at a time and place that could be fatal.

I shopped carefully for a surgeon who did many knees a week, and I knew one of his customers. He did a total of 6 knees the same day he did mine. I was out of the hospital on the third day, and navigated 5 steps entering my house, using a walker. 3 months later, I went sailing in Florida, with a friend.

After the surgery, the key was far exceeding the exercises that the rehabilitation schedule called for. I did the daily schedule three times each day, before breakfast, before lunch, and after dinner. The schedule called for alternating days, once. I did skip Sundays.

The result of this recovery effort was reaching all the goals for one year in 4 months, and canceling all the rest of my follow up appointments.

Find the right doctor, and go for it, you will be able to do most of the things you did a few years ago.
Not just a doctor who has done knees, one that does mostly knees. Do one knee at a time. One brave friend did both, but her recovery went much slower than mine.

Do it. My wife had both knees replaced, a year apart. A year after the second, she's doing FAR better than before the surgery (she's 60).

I understand the lifespan of the devices is considerably better than it was a few years ago.

After the surgery, the key was far exceeding the exercises that the rehabilitation schedule called for.
The key is far exceeding the exercises they tell you to do to PREPARE for the surgery. The better shape you're in going in,the better shape you'll be in going out.

Make sure you find a good surgeon. Ask him about which knees he uses and how he sizes them. My surgeon volunteered that he used the same knee as the Mayo Clinic. I was in my 60s for the first, climbed in my Citabria and went flying three weeks later. I was in my 70s for the second. In the office with a cane in one week. Research the hospital, ask about things like infection rates. On my first knee the get ready nurse complained that my doc required her to scrub me twice and that he would have it done in the OR again.

I'm 80 now, had my back fused 2+ years ago and can't bend from the waist, so I have to squat to pick things up or work on anything low. No problem. I can't imagine what I would be like if I hadn't done it. I struggled to go up a flight of stairs before. Recently I was climbing 12 flights every other day to help strengthen my legs after the slow back recovery.

Do it. My wife had both knees replaced, a year apart. A year after the second, she's doing FAR better than before the surgery (she's 60).

I understand the lifespan of the devices is considerably better than it was a few years ago.

The key is far exceeding the exercises they tell you to do to PREPARE for the surgery. The better shape you're in going in,the better shape you'll be in going out.

My surgeon told me that what wears out on the knees is the plastic. He said they had found that radiation improved the life span dramatically and that I would probably never need a replacement. So far so good.

As a physician specializing in geriatric patients, I deal with this issue every single week. The limitations caused by the worn-out knee, non-surgical efforts to improve function and quality of life, pre-op planning, and after the fact rehab (and complications).

The operation is overall a very positive thing in almost all cases. Factors which predict success are being sure the patient is healthy enough for the surgery, being sure that the patient is committed to the required rehab, and selection of the proper surgeon / facility.

The rehab is hard. And if you don't do it, you will be left with limited function and generally more pain than if you had worked hard at it.
The rehab is hard. And if you don't do it, you will be left with limited function and generally more pain than if you had worked hard at it.

Sure, complications occur. But you hear more about the problems than all of the operations that go well.

As some of you might know, I'm kinda getting along in years. This Spring I'll hit 84. My right knee is giving out. The surgeon said both my knees are shot, with my left knee being worse than the one I complained about.

He wants to sharpen up his knives and saws. I did get a shot in the knee which has since worn off.

After watching what my wife and a neighbor went through, my thoughts are no way!!

Know one knows how many months or years they have left. I'll be damned it I want to spend what I have in pain, recovering from surgery.

I'm wearing a brace on my knee which helps. I also think I'll have to sell my PA 22 since I can't get on a ladder to refuel it. I'll still have a low wing Forney to fly.

Do any of you have any tips for putting off the surgeon with his scary saws and knives?

Paul
Salome, AZ.

My Mom had both of hers done at the same time 10 years ago at 79 y/o. She walks daily and rides a bicycle ( 3 wheeler) most people either do too much after or not enough by doing both at the same time you get to do inpatient rehab.

Is this an option?

https://www.arizonapaintreatmentcenters.com/viscosupplementation

From their web page:

Viscosupplementation is a procedure that involves injecting the knee joint with a substance that is very similar to the body’s natural joint fluid (synovial fluid). Our providers at AZPTC are confident in the results this procedure yields.

Hire a medically qualified personal trainer and strengthen the muscles in your legs and around the knee joint twice a week 6 months prior to surgery. You will be walking without a can or walker within 2 weeks after knee replacement.

Hire a medically qualified personal trainer and strengthen the muscles in your legs and around the knee joint twice a week 6 months prior to surgery. You will be walking without a can or walker within 2 weeks after knee replacement.
I don't know if that is factually true, but it sounds logical and it couldn't hurt, except for the knee pain that is already there. I would take that advice if I was heading for a knee replacement.
My knees are fine now, but my hips are a problem I suppose similar advice might apply there too.

I had my right knee replacement in April of 2016. I was 54 years old, and it was my first surgery, ever, and also my first time to ever have sedation, or spend a night in the hospital. It took me some time to be fully recovered, but I was back at work in seven weeks - in a physically demanding job where I climbed a lot of stairs and walked a bit (operator at a very large power plant). Before the surgery I could not drive a car unless it has cruise control. Trying to maintain the accelerator pedal in one position for more than five minutes results in searing pain. As they have recommended, do not put off the physical therapy. Also, my new knee tends to have a "click" at times - usually when it "unloads" as I lift it to go the next step. It's painless, and I have gotten used to it. I just thought that I'd mention that.

They've come a long way in joint replacement. I had my right shoulder replaced in July of last year. They did a "reverse" implant. I woke up from surgery and couldn't believe they hadn't used a nerve block or something like that. It was at that point that I realized how much pain I had been living with. My range of motion and strength is better than it has been in the last five years! And yes, I can reach behind my back to the middle belt loop - something I hadn't been able to do for years. Just this last November I had the left shoulder replaced (BOGO effect of insurance). They did the "anatomical" replacement. Unlike the reverse, I spent four weeks in a sling rather than two. The recovery is a bit slower due to healing of the rotator cuff, but at just under two and a half months after surgery I can reach level to my shoulder and scratch the top of my head. Still doing my daily physical therapy too.

Joint replacement is what you make of it. If you don't have a goal (return to work or a beloved hobby), then there's always a chance that the recovery will seem to be long and drawn out. Be positive and stay healthy. Your dentist will probably also insist on you taking some oral antibiotics before a procedure or cleaning, but only for the first few years.

Right knee replaced three years ago at age 77. I actually waited a year too long since I missed almost a whole season of skiing because of the pain. After replacement, back to practically normal after four weeks and four months later was back to skiing.

Did the left one six weeks ago and almost back to normal. The main difference IMNSHO is the lack of exercise caused by the effing COVID causing gym shut down.

All thing considered, I’m completely pain free and plan on skiing later this season for the 50th year in a row.

If your dedicated to getting really prepared for the surgery, you should be back to normal within 6 weeks and damn glad you did it.

Cheers

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back