Knee Pain Meds

SoCal 182 Driver

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
SoCal 182 Driver
Friends - My knees are painful. Doc is talking about a Zilretta injection (if insurance approves) or Celestone.

I don't see either of these meds in the FAA database that I checked. Will either of them cause any issues with the FAA (other than waiting a few days before flying to see if I have an adverse reaction)?

Thanks!

Neither one of these is actually a "pain med." They're both steroids that may relieve inflammation and reduce pain. Zilretta is actually the same stuff that is Flonase. Both are problematic for long-term use. Frankly, you don't want to be flying on them.

Yes, Flonase is fine. The problems with the long-term injected use is some adverse endocrine effects and possible mood issues. Some of the similar drugs are approved on an SI basis, I don't know about these.

Zilretta is time release cortisone.
No, not quite. It's a time-release corticosteroid, but the drug is triamcinolone, which while related is distinct from cortisone.

No, not quite. It's a time-release corticosteroid, but the drug is triamcinolone, which while related is distinct from cortisone.

triamcinolone is also used to treat a variety of skin conditions and is FAA approved for asthma and alergies.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back