Knee Pain Meds

SoCal 182 Driver

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
SoCal 182 Driver
Friends - My knees are painful. Doc is talking about a Zilretta injection (if insurance approves) or Celestone.

I don't see either of these meds in the FAA database that I checked. Will either of them cause any issues with the FAA (other than waiting a few days before flying to see if I have an adverse reaction)?

Thanks!

Neither one of these is actually a "pain med." They're both steroids that may relieve inflammation and reduce pain. Zilretta is actually the same stuff that is Flonase. Both are problematic for long-term use. Frankly, you don't want to be flying on them.

Zilretta is actually the same stuff that is Flonase. Both are problematic for long-term use. Frankly, you don't want to be flying on them.

But isn't Flonase OK as far as the FAA is concerned?

Yes, Flonase is fine. The problems with the long-term injected use is some adverse endocrine effects and possible mood issues. Some of the similar drugs are approved on an SI basis, I don't know about these.

Zilretta is time release cortisone.
No, not quite. It's a time-release corticosteroid, but the drug is triamcinolone, which while related is distinct from cortisone.

No, not quite. It's a time-release corticosteroid, but the drug is triamcinolone, which while related is distinct from cortisone.

triamcinolone is also used to treat a variety of skin conditions and is FAA approved for asthma and alergies.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back