KMSL Class E Airpsace Question

steviedeviant

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
StevieD
So it was about a year ago I was planning to fly to KMSL and due to weather wasn’t able to do so. Planning to try again later this week. This is a class E airspace to the surface and the first time I would have flown into this type airport. I am VFR only.

1) Do I treat this as uncontrolled and do my own radio calls on the CTAF?
2) According to the supplemental directory, Memphis Approach is listed. Any reason I would be in contact with them? I am so use leaving a class C airspace and contacting approach/departure.
3) if IFR traffic was on approach, would they also be on the CTAF? Just wondering who IFR traffic is taking too.
4) Lasty, when departing, same rules apply as if uncontrolled?

I would be on flight following so I suppose as I get within 10 miles I would cancel flight following and begin my radio calls as normal on the CTAF?

I realize the cloud minimums apply to Class E, but just want to make sure I am not missing anything else from a radio perspective.

Thanks,
S.D.

1. The field is untowered. You make your position reports on the CTAF as with any other airport.
2. Any time an airport has an instrument approach, the controlling ATC is listed. You can certainly use that as a hint as to who will offer you VFR traffic services, but it's entirely optional if you use them. or not.
3. Supposedly, though many IFR pilots forget that they are cohabiting space with VFR pilots. They should make position reports that a VFR pilot would understand while approaching the runway. Always check to see if someone is coming straight in (an IFR approach or not) before turning onto final (and check the opposite direction runway as well).
4. Again, just another VFR departure from an uncontrolled field. Memphis Approach would be where I'd call for advisories if I wanted them.

The only difference that a "surface area of controlled airport designated for an airport" (formerly called a Control Zone) means to a VFR pilot is:

1. It's controlled airspace to the ground, with the associated visibility and cloud clearance.
2. No VFR ops below the ceiling if the ceiling is less than 1000.
3. Special VFR is available (unless the airport is marked NO SVFR).

Back