KMIV AIR SHOW May 26-27

GMascelli

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
GaryM
MAY 26 - 27 KMIV Millville Municipal AirportMillville, New Jersey,USA

Millville Wheels & Wings Air Show and Car Show

Featuring the US Navy Blue Angels. It's official! Millville Airport - America's First Defense Airport - has been chosen by the U.S. Navy Blue Angels Flight Demonstration Squadron as the site of their salute to the military on Memorial Day Weekend 2007! The Millville Army Air Field Museum (MAAFM), in conjunction with David Schultz Airshows LLC, is proud to announce that the United States Navy BLUE ANGELS Flight Demonstration Squadron will headline the 15th Annual Millville Wheels & Wings Airshow. The prestigious U.S. Navy Blue Angels Flight Demonstration Squadron will headline the list of military airplanes and performers at Millville Airport on Saturday and Sunday, May 26 and 27, 2007. Millville Wheels & Wings Air Show and Car Show is an annual event that has grown into New Jersey's largest airshow and car show. Benefits the 501C3 Millville Army Air Field Museum (former P-47 base). Large venue with over 100 aircraft attending each year with warbirds, civilian aerobatics, FAA aircraft, and lots of military. The William J Hughes FAA Tech Center brings their aircraft for display as well as some of the firefighting gear and displays.

Anyone attending ???? Mary and I will be there Saturday.

Great!!! I'll be there (weather permitting)

I've heard that they are planning to discourage fly-ins. There is zero fly-in info on the web site. I've emailed the MAAFM folks to find out what the story is. I'll post their response.

I've heard that they are planning to discourage fly-ins. There is zero fly-in info on the web site. I've emailed the MAAFM folks to find out what the story is. I'll post their response.
Most any place the Blue Angels or Thunderbirds perform they will establish a TFR for most of the week prior to allow their practice in the airport area. I'm betting that sealed the deal on banning fly-ins. At least it's not a thirty-mile radius.

do you think its safe to have a bunch of GA traffic flying around the airport while there is a bunch of f-16's doing high speed aerobatics in the area??

Do you think those guys have the time to scan for traffic while they are in an inverted dive at 250 knots???

I would assume the TFR is a good idea...unless you planned on being part of the airshow...

Most any place the Blue Angels or Thunderbirds perform they will establish a TFR for most of the week prior to allow their practice in the airport area. I'm betting that sealed the deal on banning fly-ins. At least it's not a thirty-mile radius.

do you think its safe to have a bunch of GA traffic flying around the airport while there is a bunch of f-16's doing high speed aerobatics in the area??

Do you think those guys have the time to scan for traffic while they are in an inverted dive at 250 knots???

I would assume the TFR is a good idea...unless you planned on being part of the airshow...

Guys... What's wrong with you?

I have flown into an airshow where the thunderbirds were going to perform. Not *during* the airshow, but prior to it. The airshow started at 12:30 or something like that, and the TFR's effective time was 12:00 to 5:00.

Fly in. Watch show. Fly out. No danger, no TFR that affected my ability to fly in. If this airshow is trying to discourage flying in... Well, I have some four-letter words for 'em, and I'd lump them in with Chicago's air and water show. :vomit:

Ok, I was wrong. I'll go back to my corner now... at least I have my milk and Oreos! :(

:goofy:

I'd hope fly-ins would be allowed in before the show...
They let them in last year...

Aircraft Arrival Procedures
Please note that Millville Airport (KMIV) is now unicom controlled only on 123.0 Mhz.

AIRPORT CLOSES AT 1000L DURING SHOW DATES!

Fly-In aircraft must be on the ground and parked no later than 1000L at the Millville Airport on Saturday and Sunday. All flight landings will take place on these days until 1000L on Millville UNICOM on 123.0 Mhz. Fly-In departures will be coordinated by the airboss on 132.95 Mhz for departure after the airshow until 1700L each day.

Traffic Pattern altitude: 1200 ft. AGL / 1285 ft. MSL TPA LIGHT ACFT 800 FT MSL (715 FT AGL); TPA HEAVY ACFT 1200 FT MSL (1115 FT AGL).

The main runways at Millville are 10/28 (6002 ft. long) and 14/32 (5057 ft. long). All taxiways are expected to be open during the event. Our primary runway will be 10/28 as we will be utilizing 14/32 as an additional taxiway for arriving aircraft and for show aircraft.

RUNWAY 14/32 CLOSED

Once you have landed at the airport, Millville FSS will hand you off to Airshow Ground on 118.7 Mhz or 238.15 Mhz for parking instructions. Please remain this Ground Frequency for the remainder of your taxi unless instructed by the Airboss.

The airport will be closed for 5NM Radius of the airport from the surface to 15,000 ft. AGL during the following periods and a TFR will be in place for this area during these times.:

Date Time Range
23 May 2007 1100-1600L EDT
24 May 2007 1300-1630L EDT
25 May 2007 1100-1700L EDT
26 May 2007 1100-1700L EDT

Please note that the airport will re-open early only at the discretion of the airboss and airport manager.

can someone explain this...
first it says that all operations will be on millville unicom on 123.0
then it says that departures will be controlled by the air boss on 132.95.

then it says that you will be handed off by millville FSS to the airshow ground freq. on 118.7 for parking..

So are they saying that you use the unicom when approaching the airport, or are they saying you need to talk to millville FSS for ATC instuctions to the airport?...and do we only talk to the air boss when departing on 132.95 or do we talk to the airboss the when incoming to land also, like he is the tower and then he hands us off to ground??

Sorry..that paragraph seems confusing..

Millville Airport Operations

Airshow Information Hotline: (856) 327-2347

I also noticed from my post (taken off the web page) that there is no time listed for Sunday the 27th ???? I'll check with Op's this week.

Last edited:
As long as the airport restaurants are open and running, I see no problem with arriving early and eating brunch before the flying starts. However, if it's like past shows, it will be an aerial circus of increasing madness as zero hour (1000L) approaches, so listen a lot, look harder, and keep your head on a swivel.

As for what to expect, assuming it runs as for past MIV shows, the Air Boss won't come up and running until the airport closes at 1000L, and probably not until the flying events start around noon. You'll arrive making the usual calls on CTAF (123.0) with no advisory service from FSS (dead since they moved MIV AFSS off the airport to a remote location -- that business about MIV FSS handing you off to the Ground Boss is left over from before the FSS moved). However, the Air Boss will be up and coordinating departures from whenever the flying stops until 1700L when the TFR goes away. The 118.7 freq should be used to get parked after you land and clear the runway, and again when you start to get out to the runway and handed off to the Air Boss on 132.95 for departure.

Fly safe, and hope to see you there.

Last edited:
The web page was updated today!

Aircraft Arrival Procedures

Please note that Millville Airport (KMIV) is controlled on Islip FSS for advisories only on 123.65 Mhz.

AIRPORT CLOSES AT 1000L DURING SHOW DATES!
Fly-In aircraft must be on the ground and parked no later than 1000L at the Millville Airport on Saturday and Sunday. All flight landings will take place on these days until 1000L on Islip FSS/Millville Radio on 123.65 Mhz. Fly-In departures will be coordinated by the airboss on 135.65 Mhz for departure after the airshow until 1700L each day.

Traffic Pattern altitude: 1200 ft. AGL / 1285 ft. MSL
TPA LIGHT ACFT 800 FT MSL (715 FT AGL);
TPA HEAVY ACFT 1200 FT MSL (1115 FT AGL).

The main runways at Millville are 10/28 (6002 ft. long) and 14/32 (5057 ft. long). All taxiways are expected to be open during the event except "B", "C", "K". Our primary runway will be 10/28 as we will be utilizing 14/32 as an additional taxiway for arriving aircraft and for show aircraft.

RUNWAY 14/32 CLOSED
Once you have landed at the airport, Millville FSS will hand you off to Airshow Ground on 118.7 Mhz or 238.15 Mhz for parking instructions. Please remain this Ground Frequency for the remainder of your taxi unless instructed by the Airboss.
The airport will be closed for 5NM Radius of the airport from the surface to 15,000 ft. AGL during the following periods and a TFR will be in place for this area during these times.:

DateTime Range
24 May 20071100-1600L EDT
25 May 20071300-1630L EDT
26 May 20071100-1700L EDT
27 May 20071100-1700L EDT

Please note that the airport will re-open early only at the discretion of the airboss and airport manager.

Back