KMHR Mather Airfield PIREP

Shawn

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Shawn
Goona be heading into MHR once in a while for day trips for work...anyone know if there is transient parking or options other than Mather Jet Center? Will typically not need any services...just cheap parking for a day.

I'm also interested. I'm going there in two weeks for work

It's been a few years since I flew into Mather. But my recollection of the Jet Center was they did indeed make money off of folks walking through their building. It may not work for you, but Sac Exec is more like what you're looking for.

I think there's a guy from Sac who flies an Arrow that might have some input.

Sac Exec is more like what you're looking for.

Familiar with SAC...that or MCC is my normal Sacramento go-to...but office that I will need to visit on a semi regular basis is literally across the street from MHR.

MHR, SMF and SAC all have the same FBO monopoly. MCC is the place to save money.

Goona be heading into MHR once in a while for day trips for work...anyone know if there is transient parking or options other than Mather Jet Center? Will typically not need any services...just cheap parking for a day.

Mather Aviation is a maintenance shop... and there’s an interior place too, both listed in ForeFlight. In the past, I’d had success parking short times on their ramps... you have to develop a relationship...

But, the Jet Center gets real from time to time, and does adjust their prices up and down... but you can’t rely on Jet to make sense. Check rampfee.me for the latest...

When Jet was charging $10 ramp, or really $$$ fuel, it was cheaper to rent a tie down monthly if you stopped in weekly. But those prices later came down...

Paul

If you don't feel like getting gouged at MHR, I'll also give a great nod to MCC Jet Services. Was treated great in our flivver, and hooked us up with a good price on a rental car, pulled right up to the plane.

Wow... an airport named after the Beaver..???

th

I'll also give a great nod to MCC Jet Services..

I love McClellan Jet Services. In there all the time and zero ramp fees or charges for just a day trip for part 91. I usually get fuel with them even if I don't necessary need it. Super friendly place.

MHR, SMF and SAC all have the same FBO monopoly. MCC is the place to save money.

SAC at least has transient parking...was hoping for something similar at MHR.

I’d just park at Mather Aviation.
3d7fdc61ce854688467be559b6fe062a.jpg

I love McClellan Jet Services. In there all the time and zero ramp fees or charges for just a day trip for part 91. I usually get fuel with them even if I don't necessary need it. Super friendly place.
A couple of years ago we had an unscheduled overnight stop at McClellan due to weather.

KMCC, of course, is the former McClellan Air Force Base. Lionsgate Hotel, a five-minute walk from the FBO, was built from the former officers' quarters. The lobby and restaurant areas used to be the O Club.

In our room were souvenir postcards from McClellan's history, including a photo of a hangar-full of B-29s. Coincidentally, earlier that same day we had lunch at Fox Field in Lancaster, and watched the B-29 Fifi fly in on its tour. Sort of a B-29 theme day. :)

I agree. Live a few minutes from mhr. No transient officially there.

I'm currently shopping for a plane and will be basing it there.

Sent from my Blackberry

You may also consider Cameron air park. Transient parking is available.

Sent from my Blackberry

...But, the Jet Center gets real from time to time, and does adjust their prices up and down... but you can’t rely on Jet to make sense. Check rampfee.me for the latest...

When Jet was charging $10 ramp, or really $$$ fuel, it was cheaper to rent a tie down monthly if you stopped in weekly. But those prices later came down...

Paul
The latest report for light piston aircraft (one day ago) says it's a $25 handling fee and a $10 overnight fee, and "Handling fee and first night of overnight fee is waived with 10 gallons of fuel purchased."

The Jet Center has a monopoly. No real transient parking at MHR. I have called ahead and they let me do a pickup for free, so they are not unfriendly, but unless you know one of the shops on the field, it isn't the right place to overnight. Sac Exec is much friendlier to GA. MCC is on the other side of town, so it really depends where you are going to be staying. There is also LHM (Lincoln), PVF (Placerville and AUN (Auburn). Cameron Park is semi-private and there isn't much transient parking.

I don't remember where I parked the last time I flew in to MHR but it's been a while. There are a lot of spaces in front of and around the Jet Center. I parked in one and nobody bit my head off.

Hi Shawn,
I just flew into MHR from Redding in a 172 a couple weeks ago. Like you, one of my work locations is in Rancho Cordova, so very convenient. I knew about the ramp fee even though it isn’t posted on their website. I was just picking up a passenger, but they “charged” me the $25 fee. I got fuel, so they waived it. Fairly friendly, but pretty formal. I didn’t get the impression they would waive the fee (without buying 10 gal fuel) even if you called ahead and were just stopping in to pick up a passenger. When I landed, the guy in a golf cart was waiting and directed me to parking. I may try ignoring him and parking at the maintenance place someone else mentioned. Annoying there isn’t a free parking option at this public airport. Post back if you find a good workaround. Thanks!

MHR is obviously not the best place to go if you are going to Sacramento itself, as it is the farthest of the 4 airports.

Well, that makes sense then. Their gas isn't tremendously expensive, so might as well

Just called...$25 ramp fee waived with 10 gal fuel which is $.50 more than home...so $5.00 premium on fuel vs $25 for nothing plus $6.50 County Fee if there 6+ hours not waivable.

So $11.50 if I buy fuel for a day trip....meh.

Hopefully they have cookies so I can recoup my losses.

Last edited:
Jet center is really expensive. Tee hangars at sac owned by county are $200/mo. Jet center charges 800

Community hangars at mhr is $500. Tie downs are $75!

Ksac tee hangars have a 6 year waiting list. Majority of them are used for self storage with no aircraft.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Transient parking is best at kmcc or ksac. o61 is packed.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

This thread is ancient. For some reason, MHR has even more expensive gas than SMF. SMF/SAC/MHR are all the same company running the FBO. MCC is the best choice for the area, for most things. I just wish they'd reopen the tower and put in an RNAV.

This thread is ancient. For some reason, MHR has even more expensive gas than SMF. SMF/SAC/MHR are all the same company running the FBO. MCC is the best choice for the area, for most things. I just wish they'd reopen the tower and put in an RNAV.
Sucky thing about mhr is the large tarmac with no tee hangars and jet center has full building rights on the field. I live 2 miles from the gate but have to cross town to ksac.

Fuel is pricier at mhr for the significant daily corporate flights and eva flight academy paying for it.

Sucky thing about mhr is the large tarmac with no tee hangars and jet center has full building rights on the field. I live 2 miles from the gate but have to cross town to ksac.

Fuel is pricier at mhr for the significant daily corporate flights and eva flight academy paying for it.

I'd imagine the Eva Star flights have some deal with them. It still boggles my mind that the bigger, busier, more convenient airports have cheaper gas.

What do the MCC people allow as far as hangars? Also, what is the latest on the tower reopening?

I'd imagine the Eva Star flights have some deal with them. It still boggles my mind that the bigger, busier, more convenient airports have cheaper gas.

What do the MCC people allow as far as hangars? Also, what is the latest on the tower reopening?
I've never heard of eva star flights. I'm just talking about the academy on mhr field. That's where eva airlines candidates come to get their faa tickets. my CFI was an instructor for them when we met. they have a fleet of diamonds you see in the pattern all day are them.

i called the fbo just now at mcc because i didnt know there waas a tower there. they said the temporary one is used by calfire during operations and she's not privy to their schedule. I am not aware that they'll be opening full scheduled tower services at mcc. do you have an article?

in terms of hangars, they only have shade spaces and they're all occupied. Iasked if tee hangars are on the horizon and she told me that it was explored in the past but the park itself has no interest.

Apology for the necro thread with this post, but I moved to Folsom late last year and now getting back into general aviation. Renting out of SAC, and Cameron Park.
I’m also starting the process of looking at buying a plane- a year away still, maybe two considering Covid, but I’ve been surprised by Sacramento seeming to want to funnel GA all to SAC. Mather has so much space and so close, I made some assumptions about its accessibility.
Is there a website that has information from the County about tie down and hangar space at MHR?

I’d prefer a T-hangar, but... Did I read that right? Do they allow people to rent hangars without having an airplane at SAC?

In any case, I’m not into fighting the water, or even spending time being opinionated about how I think things should be, just looking for info about how things really operate.

Appreciate the input

S

The hangars at SAC are rented by people who have been there decades, and it is true, you see more RVs and boats parked in them than airplanes. Waiting list isn’t 6 years tho. I got on the list and got a call less than a year later but I had already found other accommodations by that time.

The FBO at SMF/MHR/SAC are run by good people, and yes, they are certainly trying to make money running their business. If you are there frequently enough they do have a “subscription” that waives the handling fee and discounts the gas. It’s like $300 per year or something like that.

MCC is great too. Easier on fees and they are a true 24 hour operation the last time I checked. They’ve got a temporary tower but I suspect it might go full time in the near future because MCC is a major reload base for CalFire and fire season is likely going to be a year-round event in California.

I moved from Sacramento to Orange County recently. It’s a whole different ball game at SNA. I miss the sleepy ramps in Sacramento. I’m paying $750 a month now just for the privilege of being parked outside at the FBO. Not even a dedicated tie down!

The FBOs have at SAC and SMF have always been quite nice and never charge handling, as long as I buy gas (I'm always buying gas, given that I'm coming from San Diego). I find it interesting that they charge more for gas at MHR, given the location, but whatever.

SAC actually has fly in housing, if you are into that sort of thing.

I've been wondering when the MCC tower would get reactivated (the old Air Force tower was never torn down). They are quite busy there and it makes sense.

Back